Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sheffield Wednesday

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Well, what can I say what hasnt been thought, said, drunk.

What a weekend. Its not really sunk im yet. If any of ye went to wembley and enjoyed the atmos, this was so so much better.
    Even the night before a few chavs singing the house down in o'neills as the management turned up the music. They even had to turn off the england game...why I dont really know.
    But sunday.....unforgettable. Spent most of the day in the centre of town, hartlepool free zone it seemed as many of the 41000 wednesday fans sung and played the biggest outdoor footie ive ever seen. Or it should be called, 'keep the ball away from the cops'.

As for the game, it was pretty frustrating, all the possession but useless final balls but then the nerves probably were moreso than ever. To get the goal seconds before half time thinking normal service would be resumed in the 2nd half and then Pool woke up, and how they woke up. 2-1 down, blown it again. But then it was time for the Masterplan, swap 3 with 20 minutes to go and one of those being Maclean. The penalty looked pretty harsh and the sending off even more but I guess these things happen is the only thing I cuold ever say to a Hartlepool fan.
    The 3rd goal was waiting to happen with the fresh legs and extra man we had and it eventually came but it was a long time to hold out to avoid the dreaded spot kicks.

Anyhow, think you know all that.

Anyway this is what it looked like http://www.photoboxgallery.com/245445

E I E I E I O
    Up the football league we go
    When we win promotion
    This is what we'll sing
    We are Wednesday
    We are Wednesday
    Sturrock is our king

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

But then it was time for the Masterplan, swap 3 with 20 minutes to go and one of those being Maclean.

what a manager that man is!
    and the quickness of the decision
    do you know what i was only thinking a couple of months ago i was sure maclean wasnt finished with the season yet....i had this feeling he was going to re appear again.
    how ironic - out for 3 months and within 5 minutes of bringing him on you get a penalty - and he had already put away 5 penalties successfully that season!no idea who would hae taken it otherwise!!!

It really hasnt sunk in yet.

Automatic promotion is great but so hard to be consistent all season with injuries and dodgy refs. I know its only the Championship but it feels so good to be back to consolidating against the likes of Leeds, the blades, and the renamed 'thankyou Southampton for sacking Paul Sturrock'.

and yeah I totally agree about the Aertel thing, will save me a fortune in WAP calls every saturday afternoon, tuesday night!!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Go on Wednesday! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

kaids wrote:
    Go on Wednesday! :D
    Haven't seen you 'round here in a while. :)

All the Plastic fans are coming out :D

I jest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Well back after hols and had a great week after that result......watched the highlights and they played ok....seemed a few players where abit star struck with the amount of fans.,......told you Wednesday would fill Cardiff......great game anyway and Whelan was again my MoM.......that all 3 games in PLayoffs he has been MoM.....has to be looking towards the Irish squad next season.,....has been my player of the season for Shef Wed.....

Anyway back to Championship and the Steel Derby is on again!!!!! I cant wait!!!!

Havent seen you in a while kaids!!!

As in signing's I hope we get O'Brian back from Bolton on loan for the season.....him and Whelan in Midfield was a class combination........also think we need another striker!!!

Sturrock is a GOD

interesting new signing.he has always promised so much but never really delivered.remains one of the few inaccuracies of championship manager.....

courtesy of the bbc.

Sturrock signs winger Partridge
    Sheffield Wednesday have signed former Liverpool winger Richie Partridge on a short-term contract.
    Partridge, 24, who had also been courted by Coventry, Norwich and Leeds, has signed a contract with the Owls that runs until the end of 2005.

Partridge told the Wednesday website: "I'm very pleased. This is a massive club and the manager and the players have great ambition.

Owls boss Paul Sturrock added: "Richie has come in and looked very exciting."

Partridge had a successful loan spell with the Sky Blues in 2002/03, scoring four goals in 31 appearances.

He played only two games for Liverpool last season, both as a substitute in the Carling Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

interesting new signing.he has always promised so much but never really delivered.remains one of the few inaccuracies of championship manager.....
    He has always delivered when got his chance. The fact that CM gave him excellent attributes every year shows that they rated him and I don't think its innacurate. :) He only started 14 games for the Liverpool reserves last season and was still voted 3rd in the POTY vote by the fans. there were something like 60,000 votes and he was only 200 votes behind 2nd place. If he avoids injury he'll be capped for Ireland before too long.

Actually, here's a link to that
    http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N149389050719-1007.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

eirebhoy wrote:
    He only started 14 games for the Liverpool reserves last season and was still voted 3rd in the POTY vote by the fans. there were something like 60,000 votes and he was only 200 votes behind 2nd place.
    Sentimental Irish fans perhaps?

Hope this works out for him, itd be great to see him get a few injury free seasons under his belt. Wednesday are a big club coming out of a slump too. Could work out to be a great move for him and Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

yeah lets hope it works out for him

Looks like another typical Wednesday season. Leon Best comes in on loan for Maclean and goes and breaks his foot.

Nice attendance though, a busload short of 30,000.

Undefeated too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

good to see that wednesday are back in the championship, i can see them back in the premiership in two years if they play their cards right.

If we can replace Mr Allen too!

Yeah another blow to Wednesday, have only 2 fit strikers now, its just been confirmed that Best foot is broke! there is talk of bringing in Steve Claridge on a short term deal but he is too old now at 39, maybe Sturrock could try Morrison from Birmingham till Xmas to cover us till hopefully MacLean get back but 6months for a broken leg and ligament damage seems to be a bit short! maybe mite have him back before end of season!

Wonder can we send Best back to Southampton now because we dont need to be paying another player which cant play!!

Partridge got on after the 79th minute, put in a cross that Proudlock should have scored from but missed it, I hate Barmby at this stage, always seems to score against us......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Go on the Owls!
    Still undefeated and put in a good performance against Hull, and an amazing crowd attendance.
    Big Nelly wrote:
    maybe Sturrock could try Morrison from Birmingham till Xmas
    Yeah, we need someone, and I think Morrison would relish the chance.
    Best will return to Southampton, so thankfully no funds going out on an injured player.

Gonna need to keep the money coming in though... a nice cup run would do wonders this season.

So, what yee all think of the new home jersey?
    More white than blue than last seasons... I like the centred crest though.

not to gone on the home strip to be honest, the blue is very light.
    i have the team photo as my desktop at the moment.
    delighted we are undefeated thou,but typical of us with injuries.
    leon best has been sent back alright.pity.also proudlock and peacock are playing with injuries as well!!!so technically we have no fit strikers at all at the club.given it was already recognised that we would struggle to score goals.....
    partridge has to start now, could he pressd into a forward position?
    also, burton o'brien hasnt gotten a chance yet to show us what he is made of.

not to gone on the home strip to be honest, the blue is very light.
    i have the team photo as my desktop at the moment.
    delighted we are undefeated thou,but typical of us with injuries.
    leon best has been sent back alright.pity.also proudlock and peacock are playing with injuries as well!!!so technically we have no fit strikers at all at the club.given it was already recognised that we would struggle to score goals.....
    partridge has to start now, could he pressd into a forward position?
    also, burton o'brien hasnt gotten a chance yet to show us what he is made of.

I like the new shirt! better than some of the previous jersey's we had! remember the old one from the years in PL that was Black with yellow mixed in! terrible!!

Anyway I knew we would struggle this season with goals, but as long as we can stay in Championship then it leave Sturrock something to build on, I love this man, think he is finally going to get the club back into a bit of shape!

My thought are, stay this season in Championship even if we are just off bottom so we can build for next season! then we will be flying with Sturrock!

Just signed striker David Graham from Wigan for undisclosed six-figures.

SOunds like a good signing, although it sounds like hes stagnated at Wigan and played in midfield at times. OK to play against the Saints on saturday. Thank god.

like the new top, I think its a bit of a shock with the broad stripes but it does look good. Only so many ways you can have stripes I guess.

Anyone remember the green/white thin stripes shirt...that was pretty bad.

hey nelly, i have that black and yelow striped shirt.........and its my favourite!!
    i also that the terrible yellow and purple striped one as well,now that is terrible.personally i thought the all ornage away was our worst.
    i think i remember that greenand white striped one,that was recent enough was it?

im very happy with the david graham signing, very similar to maclean, but i believe they can play together and complement each other.we have been after graham since the turnip days.
    another rangers reserve as well, how weird is that!!
    remember maclean only had a season with scunthorpe to his name and proved to be an excellent goalscorer

• Advertisement

Yeah have had some crackign Jerseys alright in the last few years!! haha

Yeah signed Graham and he looks good, should be able to knock in a few till MacLean gets back...>Sturrock seems to be buying alot of Scotish players but he hasnt gone far wrong yet so hopefully this next will work out!! about 250k paided for him!

Thought I may as well comment on the win last night in the first round of the Carling Cup.
    Would have been a blow to be knocked out so early by Stockport.
    However, we came good during a dramatic extra time period.
    Good to see Proudlock getting 2 in the end to seal it.
    Would be nice if we can continue on for a while as the league results are failing to come at the moment!

Well didnt get to see game or highlights but another 2 players that could be out for a while.....young Greenwood but he isnt really a first team player but Coughlan could be out for a while which will be a blow

Anyway live game on Friday against QPR so will be good to see the Owls back on live TV....last game was Play Off final!!

Had to drag our beloved Owls up.
    With the Blades top and Wednesday rooted to the bottom.... could things get much worse?
    Can Sturrock turn this team around and survive?
    I'm really getting worried that we just dont have the resources to survive this year.
    We seem ok going forward, but our defence is falling apart.
    Hopefully we can get two good results back-to-back soon and build on it.
    Whats other owls views?

Chairman Dave Allen told the Owls' website: "This season we are aiming for consolidation - I don't expect us to be in the top six - nor the bottom six.

"I expect us to be in a position to challenge for promotion to the Premiership within three years."
    I sure hope so Dave!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

whiskeyman wrote:
    Had to drag our beloved Owls up.
    With the Blades top and Wednesday rooted to the bottom.... could things get much worse?

Was reading an interview with the Blades supporting singer from The Beautiful South in this months 4-4-2, pretty strong opinion of Owls fans from him. Is the animosity that bad?
    Nice attendance though, a busload short of 30,000.

Haven't been keeping an eye on the Championship for the last few weeks, is this still the case? Remarkable if it is, to think they can get more than Bolton for league matches and Chelsea for a CL tie! :eek:

Tis going to be a long hard season!! really all I want to see is them staying in the Championship and maybe beating Utd at home!! after that I dont really care what Utd do....was also sorry to see the Legend Quinn scoring for Utd last night!!! twas a da night with Wed losing......

Problems at moment is everyone is injured!! tried to sign that striker last week(cant remember name) but they where turned down.....also Allen has said he will try and sign Leon once he gets back from injury from Southampton....we will wait and see!!!

Keep Sturrock what ever happens anyway!! class manager!!

Was reading an interview with the Blades supporting singer from The Beautiful South in this months 4-4-2, pretty strong opinion of Owls fans from him. Is the animosity that bad?

It is the worst in football terms....Utd v City or Arsenal v Chelsea is nothing compared to it!! one of my mates was in Sheffield a few years back for last derby and said it was like a war zone.....alot of it has to do with class as well......not really anymore but years ago the middle and higher class supported Wednesday and the lower class supported Utd......that has long since gone but the hatred is still there......most of this comes from the Utd side but there is a hard core Wednesday fan base that can hold there own

E.g. fellow that used to play Tommy in Cornation St....was sacked from soap because used to go to all Wednesday games(see when he died it mentioned he wanted his ashes spread on Hillsborough.....this was to rub it in my producers) and anyway was at one game and bumped so to speak into a few Utd supporter after a game and got arrested......got a warning but a few weeks later was arrested again for same thing and was removed from soap...he is part of the hard core lads.......

Watch the play off semi final last season against Brentford....after the game fans came on pitch......see how many cops on horses where flocking out from all directions....wouldnt see this at most game!!

Big Nelly wrote:
    It is the worst in football terms....Utd v City or Arsenal v Chelsea is nothing compared to it!! one of my mates was in Sheffield a few years back for last derby and said it was like a war zone.....alot of it has to do with class as well......not really anymore but years ago the middle and higher class supported Wednesday and the lower class supported Utd......that has long since gone but the hatred is still there......most of this comes from the Utd side but there is a hard core Wednesday fan base that can hold there own

E.g. fellow that used to play Tommy in Cornation St....was sacked from soap because used to go to all Wednesday games(see when he died it mentioned he wanted his ashes spread on Hillsborough.....this was to rub it in my producers) and anyway was at one game and bumped so to speak into a few Utd supporter after a game and got arrested......got a warning but a few weeks later was arrested again for same thing and was removed from soap...he is part of the hard core lads.......

Watch the play off semi final last season against Brentford....after the game fans came on pitch......see how many cops on horses where flocking out from all directions....wouldnt see this at most game!!

:eek:

Actually, the same issue of 4-4-2 had a piece on Aberdeen-Rangers, now there's hatred for ya...

blow the whistle ref!!!
    3-2 against Coventry.... it'd be typical to throw this away at the last min.
    We need this bad!!

whiskeyman wrote:
    blow the whistle ref!!!

I doubt he's reading... :D

I know that feeling though.

• Advertisement

I doubt he's reading... :D

I know that feeling though.
    YYYYIPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEE!!!
    3-2 :D
    Off the bottom! (Crewe lost).
    Need a good run now...

Starting to slowly get some form....again all I want is to stay in Championship.....hey whiskeyman you see Brunts first? must have been about 35-40 yards out....absolute cracker!!! Plymouth next so hopefully a good away win and we will be flying along!!

we have 3 very important games next against teams who could be battling with us come may for survival (god i am optimistic!!!! :D )

plymouth away - sturrock will want to put one over on his old team and vice versa.
    watford home - wou i think are a surprise team this year
    brighton home- who always languish near the bottom and 3 points at home is a must

the 3 matches after that are very tough and we may come away pointless
    norwich and reading away and derby at home.

Lads, what a feckin game on saturday.

Went over for the weekend to see the folks and wednesday 'just happened to be at home'..hehe

Ref was a shocker, their penalty was a disgrace, Lucas touched the ball. He was last man so technically shouldve walked(thankfully he fecked that up)

Brunts goal....oh my god. I just saw him hit it, it was pretty windy in S6 but i think it just curled over the keeper....luck/genius.. who cares.

Here it is in a smaller version http://www.sheffieldwednesday.co.uk/avatars/brunt_cov.gif

The penalty peacock got was a big relief, Coventry were pretty bad but our defence played pretty solid. Passing is still a problem and the 2 strikers just dont seem to be gelling. How we need Maclean in the side.

But anyway, ive seen wednesday 3 times in the last year and we've won all three!! After match drinkies were very tasty.!!

Have the new home shirt too....yay

Bring on the porkers!!!

But anyway, ive seen wednesday 3 times in the last year and we've won all three!! After match drinkies were very tasty.!!
    I think all us owls should chip in and get you flights and tickets to all the games... well, at least time Christmas!! :D

By the way, how much did you get the shirt for?
    I think there's a JJBs in Meadowhall that seems for sell them for way cheaper... just wondering if its still the same.

ive always read meadow hall sell it for about 10-15 sterling.
    was in cork at the weekend and found a home shirt in football crazy.couldnt pass up the opportunity to get it, even thou i was annoyed that i could get it cheaper in sheffield!but as i am not going there anytime soon!
    always wanted to know do meadow hall sports shop do on line selling?

always wanted to know do meadow hall sports shop do on line selling?
    Not that I'm aware of... they'd make a killing if they did!
    They stock loads of soccer team kits there and always have huge savings on.
    And other sports clothes are as cheap as chips in there... stocked up last time I was there!
    Nice find in Cork though! I remember passing by Pat Cheneys Soccer Shop here in Dublin a few years ago and seeing a Wednesday home kit... the one I already had though! Couldnt believe my eyes :D
    The fit and quality of their last shirt wasnt exactly the best - It seemed all the production costs went on getting the embossed logo of "Napolean Casinos".
    Whats the new shirt like?
    I still have one of the old puma shirts with 'Sandersons' on it... such a lovely fit and quality material...... what the f**k am I going on about? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

http://www.webuser.co.uk/news/news.php?id=69027

I see the owls are the 13th most popular team in the world

...only one place behind god owns football team ;)

the new shirt is very nice, i wasnt going to buy it from pictures on the website, but in the flesh (or cotton or what ever) it is impressive.

have my sanderson blue+white, black+yellow and yellow+purple at home.still good quality

• Advertisement

yeah got the Sanderson one years ago....havent got one since.....new one is nice....anywhere online that you can buy them? looking to get one!!!

its gas for years I thought I must have been the only Wednesday fan in the Rep but seems to be a few of us here!!! I think years ago I seen an ad in the Hearld about a Wednesday supporters group but I was in Cavan at that stage.....anyone know if this is still around????

Big Nelly wrote:
    yeah got the Sanderson one years ago....havent got one since.....new one is nice....anywhere online that you can buy them? looking to get one!!!

its gas for years I thought I must have been the only Wednesday fan in the Rep but seems to be a few of us here!!! I think years ago I seen an ad in the Hearld about a Wednesday supporters group but I was in Cavan at that stage.....anyone know if this is still around????

i read there was a supporters group mid 90s or so, which was quite active and got a lot of publicity on today fm.it disbanded thou.
    espn or fox or some website like that has jerseys by nearly everyone!
    haiti etc

There was a guy called Gerry that ran it. He didnt have time and it was pointless as people ended up not turning up etc.

I went over with them a few years ago, actually I flew they got the ferry! I spoke to him around the time of the play off semi and he was working or on hols so couldnt go, but said he would be watching the game in a bar.

Theres a few irish on Owlstalk.co.uk in the Exiled fans section. I met a couple of them, we went over to cardiff with em for the invasion. Decent guys.

Back to the shirt, I totally forgot about it being cheaper in another shop, but the club gets all the money so im happy enough. Its nice, seems really different material almost paper-y but nice. Not like those Sanderson nylon efforts!!

Oh yeah..... heres 'the goal' http://media.putfile.com/brunt/320

Probably get banned now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

good goal but the goalkeeper was terrible and should have easily saved it. It was very low when it actually went in

Kingp35 wrote:
    good goal but the goalkeeper was terrible and should have easily saved it.
    Sullivan wouldnt have stopped it :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

whiskeyman wrote:
    Sullivan wouldnt have stopped it :D

ah but Bennett would have :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

AAARRGH! Inevitable late Plymouth equaliser! And 5 wed players booked. Just had to give out about it somewhere

Hippo wrote:
    AAARRGH! Inevitable late Plymouth equaliser!
    Forgot to mention this on Sunday, but once again.... a late late equaliser denies us 3 vital points against Brighton.
    Still, we're out of the bottom 3!!! (just!).

whiskeyman wrote:
    Forgot to mention this on Sunday, but once again.... a late late equaliser denies us 3 vital points against Brighton.
    Still, we're out of the bottom 3!!! (just!).

Was very upset about this one.....problem is our strike force.....need a new striker.....everyone turning us down......would have been 2-3 up if we had someone proper up top....Peacock isnt good enough at this level.....

the last 3 games were a complete disaster - and yet werent beaten.
    we threw away wins in all 3 games and dropped 6 vital points.i am not a happy chappy one bit.considering plymouth and brighton will be fighting against us come may, im afraid these dropped points while in winning positions will send us down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

Must admit I nearly lost my reason when Brighton equalised, couldn't believe it...and those six dropped points could be very expensive in May. Striker essential, Graham looks the very definition of an out of form player and hid for the entire second half.

• Advertisement
Advertisement