Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sheffield Wednesday

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

According to official SMS weve signed Gabriel Agbonlahor for one month loan, hes a 19 year old from Villa.

Not sure about this one. We need to sign someone proven, I know we dont have the dosh but surely this isnt gonna be much good. Hope he knows where the net is.

*had to re-edit the name...lol*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

From Shef Wed website

Wednesday manager Paul Sturrock has not ruled out starting with new loan man Gaby Agbonlahor at Norwich City on Saturday - and revealed that the Owls are still in talks with another club about a permanent signing up front.

The boss is delighted to have snared the 19-year-old Villa striker for the six games until the end of November and says he will fill a hole in the squad created by the absence of Drew Talbot.

Sturrock said: "We need that Tyson-type of player - someone with pace who is going to run in behind defences. It's an option we don't have."

The 49-year-old added: "I had a look at him last season and just felt he was a bit too young but Roy Aitken has recommended him very highly. We'll look at him in training but whether he will start or not is up in the air."

Even with the arrival of Agbonlahor, Sturrock is continuing to scour the transfer market for a striker to bring to Hillsborough on a permanent basis. He is hopeful a move might materialise within the next week:

"It doesn't stop us from looking for another player," he confirmed. "We'd like to bring another striker in as quickly as possible and we've been in negotiations with another club for the last couple of days. I'm hopeful we might be able to get something done some time next week."

One thing he is right is that we need pace up front! anyone at all is a start!! we have the money to buy someone! has about 750k to buy a stiker!!! problem is that we more or less had tyson but then Birmingham said they might be interested in Jan so thats why he said no!!! also been at the bottom end of Championship hasnt helped!! if near playoff everyone would sign no problem!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

call me cynical but when they say things like "we have been talking to striker fo the last couple of days" etc - i just dont believe them.

the villa fella could be great - ie kenwyne jones
    but he could also be a complete stinker...ie too many to actually name!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

- ie kenwyne jones

Bit of a hero down those parts is he? Was it 7 in 7?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Agbonlahor is meant to be absolute top quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

what happened at wednesday, used to be a top flight team then crashed out of exsistance

blu_sonic wrote:
    what happened at wednesday, used to be a top flight team then crashed out of exsistance

sheff wed are the perfect example of a badly financially run football club over the years, big contracts to average enough players.
    when a club gets relegated they need to re structure wages etc and get rid of "star" players if they are not performing.
    wednesday did none of this, and are now finding themselves trying to sign villa reserve strikers to get them by.
    recently we have tried to sign - trundle, hume and tyson for 750,000 - this is considered breaking the bank at the moment hillsborough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

ouch, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Bet Norwich away from home!!
    0-1 and kept it at the end... finally!
    Keep 'em coming lads.
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

Yessss! comprehensively outplayed for the second half apparently, makes it all the sweeter somehow....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Totally outplayed for all of the game. We dominated and got hit on the counter from a **** up by Fleming. Ashton had so many chances to finish you off but again he couldn't hit the target. Totally frustrating going over week in week out to see this happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

nice to see richie partridge play a part in the goal that wednesday scored.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

What I like about Sheffield Wednesdays team right now is the midfeild is extreamly creative and extreamly young! they have a nice bunch of about 6 players under 25 who all have the potential to be premiership players.
    Brunt and Whelan stand out, head and shoulders above the rest of the bunch but Eagles, Partridge, Rocastle and burton are also very good players, they are about 4 players away from a very good Championship side, if they can get a goal scorer and sort out the defence then they have a chance of staying up, building on it and pushing for promotion in a few seasons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Eagles is off back to Man U in January and Partridge's contract runs out then too. They should get Partridge in the team soon or they'll probably have neither player in a couple of months.

our little run has come to an end!!
    with a bit of luck we could have had 5 wins in a row before last night!

our little run has come to an end!!
    with a bit of luck we could have had 5 wins in a row before last night!

To be honest I didnt expect Wed to win and most of the fans wouldnt have either!!! it would have been better if they had beaten Brighton as they are the team that is going to be around us in the relagation battle at end of season!!

Blurb from Sturrock after the match below... trouble finding strikers a real concern.
    "It seems strange to say after we have lost 2-0 but I am quite pleased. If we play like we did in the first half on other grounds we'll do well.
    "Reading are a good side, brimming with confidence and better teams than us will come here and lose.

"I am hammering on doors trying to get in a new striker. Some managers just don't want to talk to me anymore."

Another great result lads : 2-1 Vs Derby after being a goal down.
    We're outplayed in the 1st half, but showed spirit to come back and win it.

Lee Trundle / Swansea turned down a £750,000 bid as Sturrock is still on the hunt for a striker. He's got 14 in 14 games for Swansea and accounts for 85% of jersey sales... no wonder they wont let him go in a hurry! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

And he's just signed that new lucrative sponsorship deal, that'll bring in the green for Swansea.

• Advertisement

And he's just signed that new lucrative sponsorship deal, that'll bring in the green for Swansea.
    Not just sponsorship, but an image-rights.
    Very few players in Europe have it... Becks is only one I know off hand.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/swansea_city/4379806.stm
    Heard him being interviewed this morning and he mentioned how he'd love to play for Ireland (he qualifies - grandparents).

Anyway...going off topic... might post this on the Lee Trundle thread... saw one a month or so ago :)

Go the Owls!! :D

Not far off the playoffs now...with a game in hand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

whiskeyman wrote:
    Not just sponsorship, but an image-rights.
    Very few players in Europe have it... Becks is only one I know off hand.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/swansea_city/4379806.stm
    Heard him being interviewed this morning and he mentioned how he'd love to play for Ireland (he qualifies - grandparents).
    Trundle is as Irish as Kilbane, Breen and Connolly. He's always over in Inchicore and has always worn the Irish jersey. He'll have to be capped a few times before the majority over here consider him anything but English though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Good 2-1 victory for Wednesday yesterday.

delighted with the result and for once we came from behind.
    graham came off the bench to score within minutes!!
    i am really hoping this guy has a change in form

Moving up table slowly but surely!! game on against Cardiff on Sky on Wed nite but have college so will miss!! pain in ass! good to see the win!! was watching Arsenal game and checking teletxt...seen Wed go behind and left game...though we would lose....nearly fell off seat when flicked back to BBC 1 for results show to see a lovely 2-1 win!!! class

Any news of a striker coming? havent heard anything myself!! signed Weaver last week from Man City to cover!!

• Advertisement

Report of the AGM on the swfc website says the chairman has pledged to buy Leon Best from Southampton....which would certainly go a long way to solving the goalscoring problems. In any case, hopefully Graham has turned the corner now. BTW, after pointing out that we were only six points off the playoffs with a game in hand, I also notice we're still only three points off a relegation spot!:eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Tough game for Shef Wednesday against Cardiff on Wednesday night live on Sky. Will be interesting as both teams are doing a little better than expected. I think Jason Koumas has made a huge difference at Cardiff and they are understandably trying to sign him a permanent deal. Wednesday have been in good form and are marching up the table. I think the play-offs will be out of reach for them this season as the teams up there are very high quality but if they can consolodate their position in mid table come the end of the season like my club Leeds did then they can prepare themselves for a proper assault on promotion next season. Wednesday are too big a club not be in the Premiership in my opinion. Still not the biggest club in Yorkshire though :D

Kingp35 wrote:
    Tough game for Shef Wednesday against Cardiff on Wednesday night live on Sky. Will be interesting as both teams are doing a little better than expected. I think Jason Koumas has made a huge difference at Cardiff and they are understandably trying to sign him a permanent deal. Wednesday have been in good form and are marching up the table. I think the play-offs will be out of reach for them this season as the teams up there are very high quality but if they can consolodate their position in mid table come the end of the season like my club Leeds did then they can prepare themselves for a proper assault on promotion next season. Wednesday are too big a club not be in the Premiership in my opinion. Still not the biggest club in Yorkshire though :D

Was waiting for you to mention Leeds being better!! well I have said from the start of the season that this season we just need to stay in Championship and then bring in a few peopel....at the moment Sturrock is having problems bringing in players because they dont want to be relagated this season to League on.....once we get to stay up will have a few more quid to spend as well.....I expect a draw on Wed nite...Cardiff are a tough team to play against with some useful players...still cant see us losing but I cant see us winning either.....

Oh yeah in regards to Leeds......1-0 so far this season to the Wed....all the more sweeter when you say they are not the biggest club in Yorkshire

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Big Nelly wrote:
    Oh yeah in regards to Leeds......1-0 so far this season to the Wed....all the more sweeter when you say they are not the biggest club in Yorkshire

Ah its back to normal again :D

Apparently Hills has been injured in a 'serious car crash' according to official SMS. Reckon he's broke a rib. Hope hes ok

Good job Hecks'y is back.

Probably been the best few weeks supporting Wednesday in a long time, apart from the disappointment of some late goals I couldnt be happier.
    No pressure whatsoever, mid table is the goal and anything else is a bonus, it took the pigs 6 years of failure in this division to get where they are at the moment so I cuoldnt give a flying, good luck to em. We shall be seeing them, as they say. Hopefully a draw at 'the lane' and a good thrashing at S6. I watched the highlights of their game against palace and they were very lucky, even accounting for my bias. Dodgy penalty, dodgy goal, nothing special.

But yeah, (more) happy times are coming, I can feel its just round the corner.

Who needs Mourinho

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Hippo wrote:
    Report of the AGM on the swfc website says the chairman has pledged to buy Leon Best from Southampton....which would certainly go a long way to solving the goalscoring problems. In any case, hopefully Graham has turned the corner now. BTW, after pointing out that we were only six points off the playoffs with a game in hand, I also notice we're still only three points off a relegation spot!:eek:

Saints fan and i read on our website about a week back the big harry was willing to let best go if it was the right move for him and the club so maybe he's on his way to yorkshire

*vain hope*

Anyone know a pub where can watch the game tonight, and I dont mean the poxy scottish game:D

*vain hope*

Anyone know a pub where can watch the game tonight, and I dont mean the poxy scottish game:D

Its on Sky Sports 1....any pub that has sky should have it on...if not then give the barman a nice tip to flick it over!!! would be watching in my house but have night course on:( :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Will be unlikely that a pub will have the game on tonight considering the Celtic Rangers game is on and that will obviously get more attention. Your best bet is to find a pub that has a few tvs and try and persuade the barman to put the game on one of the tvs. If you dont have sky at home then try and find a live stream for the game. Livesports usually have it on

Half time score in tonights game at Hillsborough is:

Sheffield Wednesday 0-3 Cardiff

Fantastic first half performance from Cardiff. Dave Jones has done a brilliant job there this season almost putting together an entire new team. Wednesday have been very disappointing from the off. Game over at this stage

4-3
    We're gonna win 4-3

...not looking forward to this second half.

Bring on Rocky and Bullen ffs, take off billy graham, hes garbage. Rocky will bite heads.

Im having a bad dream

Kingp35 wrote:
    Half time score in tonights game at Hillsborough is:

Sheffield Wednesday 0-3 Cardiff

Fantastic first half performance from Cardiff. Dave Jones has done a brilliant job there this season almost putting together an entire new team. Wednesday have been very disappointing from the off. Game over at this stage
    Any chance we can ban Leeds fans from this thread?
    :p

whiskeyman wrote:

Thats harsh mate :)

whiskeyman wrote:

Easier way to get rid of Leeds fans

Shef Wed 1 Leeds 0.................................:D :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I would be more worried about your team than Shef Wed

Last night was a bad night but if Leeds had anything near the injury list Shef Wed had they would be on another relagation fight!! Sturrock has doen brillant and I think he said it right at the very start of the game when interview person said about play offs....he just said it would mean they are 3 more points from the relagation zone....well said man....he is like me....I dont care what goes on this season as long as we stay in the division and start to bring in a few players and get some players back.....sick of Sky going on and on about players that havent joined Shef Wed....they are idiots...as mentioned last night we have a better average attendance than Juve and a good few PL teams....if they dont want to join....f**k them....let them stay in there sh**y lower level teams...if they havent got the b**ls to join a team where they need to bring up there levels of footie then no point having them....didnt watch much of second half....put on Celtic(vote of lads in house:( )...how did Partridge get on??????

disappointed with result, but as big nelly said this year is all about consolidation.once(if???) we have proved we can stay in the division we might persuade better players to join.
    who knows if we went a nice run before the transfer window we might actually sign someone

• Advertisement

I think we were lucky not to get totally hammered in the first half even though technically we did anyway.

Cant complain apart from the fact if I was Dave Allen id be thinking we cant compete at this level with this many injuries, we need to make a serious offer for a player and not someone who lacks experience. Koumas ripped us apart with 3 or 4 passes last night. We fell apart with our passing because we aint got the experience.
    The number of times we gave the ball away in the first 45 was criminal. But its over now. Hopefully peacock gets over the flu and PS realises that Corr and Graham just arent good enough yet. Im sure Bullen could play a full game, we need him up front. Eagles was trying to knock balls on to him and it was working. The amount of possession we had 2nd half(granted they were sat back on three goals) was counting. A good team couldve turned that round.

I think it was 'one of those days' and PS knows people didnt perform. We'll be reet.

..and as for Leeds dude. You were out of order and you know it. I wont talk about WEDNESDAY BEATING LEEDS ONE NIL the other week....oops

Could've been 5 by half time, Koumas was terrific. Second half miles better, even allowing for Cardiff relaxing, and Bullen up front made a big difference.

What's the story with Eagles? A great first touch but either no-one else is on his wavelength or they don't like him; he seemed to spend much of the game playing balls that no-one ran on to or else giving out to his team-mates. And am I the only one who thinks Whelan's form has dipped alarmingly since last season (I know he made a great tackle at the end)?

i think whelan is finding it hard to make the full step up to championship.
    he was given the captaincy(not sure if he still is) and he is only 22(i think).

..and as for Leeds dude. You were out of order and you know it. I wont talk about WEDNESDAY BEATING LEEDS ONE NIL the other week....oops

ah lads whats all this about? Just because im a leeds fan I cant post about Sheffield Wednesday? All I did was post up about the match at half time exactly the way it was going. i didnt take the p1ss out of Wednesday or anything. No need to get your knickers in a twist. Not my fault you were 0-3 down

Just saw Shezzas goal on Sky....ah the memories.

Sheffield Wednesday boss Paul Sturrock has completed the loans signings of Sunderland striker Daryl Murphy and Leicester left-back Peter Gilbert.

whats murphy like? is he the fella who was with waterford?

Murphy's a good player, I suppose Kevin Doyle might be a good guide on how he'll do. From my times watching them here, I'd've rated Doyle higher, but Murphy is quality. He should get you goals.

Sheffield Wednesday boss Paul Sturrock has completed the loans signings of Sunderland striker Daryl Murphy and Leicester left-back Peter Gilbert.

whats murphy like? is he the fella who was with waterford?

Impressed with these 2 signing.....Gilbert has moved with the view to moving full time...played for 2 season with Sturrock with Plymouth and was doing well till he moved to leicester....

Murphy I wasn't sure about becasue he wasnt getting a look in at Sunderland but watched him against Arsenal and he was one of there best players(was at fault for second goal thou) but he was playing on the left side of midfield which isnt his position....was good at running with ball...made a good few tackles and didnt look out of place which is the best compliment I can give him!!! also he hastried to resigned Gaby Agbonlahor until the New Year!!

Agbonlahor is class!

• Advertisement

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    Agbonlahor is class!

6 games....no goals so far!! nothing class about that to be honest!!

Advertisement