Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sheffield Wednesday

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

big day today lads... haven't played them in a couple of years now.
    Are we quietly confident or expecting a thrashings?
    A result our way today could really give a huge boost...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

No goals in five games. Crisis? Discuss.

Hippo wrote:
    No goals in five games. Crisis? Discuss.
    I was going to post about this, but was afraid it would bring us all down before Christmas :(
    Had bbc live scores on and just prayed for a last minute goal.....well, I got that, but for the wrong side.
    It's plain and simple firepower is missing... Sturrock is tired telling everyone that.
    Hopefully the new year will bring in someone who knows where the goal is.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Wednesday really are sruggling at the moment and find themselves in the drop zone. They just cant seem to score goals at the moment no matter what they do. Something has to be done and a player has got to be brought in in January. Only problem is that the busy xmas period is coming up now and they will be unable to bring a player in until after it. Hopefully they will not be in too much trouble by then.

Question for the Wednesdays lads. Will Sturrock be given any money in January?

Kingp35 wrote:
    I know we're in dire straights, but money simply has to come from somewhere to get a striker.
    It may mean more short term financial woes, but we can not afford to go down again... that is the ultimate financial nightmare.
    We stay up this season.... try and rebuild and aim for promotion within 5 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Kingp35 wrote:
    Wednesday really are sruggling at the moment and find themselves in the drop zone. They just cant seem to score goals at the moment no matter what they do. Something has to be done and a player has got to be brought in in January. Only problem is that the busy xmas period is coming up now and they will be unable to bring a player in until after it. Hopefully they will not be in too much trouble by then.

dont know if it was board spin or what but it was claimed for the jan transfer window wednesday would be given 750k to a million to spend in the transfer market.unfortunately this i think is panic money which would imagine allen has only/will only paid out because of extreme pressure.
    about a month ago sturrock came out and said that certain players havent made the step up to the championship level.and unfortunately for them in order for him to bring in some players others will have to go.
    expect heads to roll.

just saw this link this morning.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/k/kilmarnock/4538052.stm

cant see why he would choose wednesday over rangers unless he is worried he will just rot on the bench.
    wednesday have managed to screw up signing players from better positions(ie tyson) so we shall see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Never was so sickened than on Sat, though we had finally got over the last run with a draw. Then that ***** ****** ****** ******* scored. Was so unimpressed. Did anyone see the game? did the fast ball option work?

We need a striker. Been saying that since start of season. End of Story. Me goes off and cries now. lol

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Very good signing if they manage to get him. He will do well in the Championship but, no disrespect to Wednesday, im a bit surprised that he should choose to move to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭watman

Ok i ll admit i aint a wednesday fan but i hold a season ticket at stoke city and have been at 21 of the 24 games we have played this season so i have pretty much seen all the clubs in this league in action, I was at our two games against Wednesday this season , i know wednesday are struggling at the moment but i dont think they will go down, there are worse teams in the league than wednesday, I think you will find the christmas period tough but early january brings you two very winable games(Crewe and Leicester at home).A couple of players and who knows eh!

Going to Hillsborough is always a good day out , much better than that other kip in Sheffield.
    Look forward to playing you again next season in the Coca Cola Championship. (Thats if we don't sneak through the playoffs :D )

Edit - Spelling

• Advertisement

no need to panic lads, wednesday once again missed out on a striker as rangers have effectively wrapped up the boyd deal.
    however i dont really blame anyone at the club for, i think killmarnock played the market well and we were never in a position once rangers matched the offer.

to make matters worse murphy has been re called to sunderland, so the possibility of an exciting strikeforce over christmas of boyd and murphy are totally gone.

oh please someone , make a half decent striker available even just for christmas!!!!
    santa santa why have you forsaken me....

7 games without a goal. Someone post something to cheer us up.

Not much around to cheer about at the moment except the transfer window is opening and hopefully will get in a decent striker to start to score a few goals. Thats all I am hoping for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

Any word on whether or not they're going to keep Partridge on?

Todays Current score: Burnley 0-1 Sheffield Wednesday

Chris Eagles the scorer. Wednesday need a win badly and they couldnt have got a better start.

Hippo wrote:
    7 games without a goal. Someone post something to cheer us up.

The new year brings the opening of the transfer window and a home tie against
    Crwho , By my reckoning 3 points for Wednesday

Edit - Burnley 0 Sheffield Wednesday 1 - Eagles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Sounds better than it was on Wednesday night.

Worst Wednesday performance ive seen in years.

I wish people wouldnt 'boo' though.

Come on Wednesday

Edit - woohoo.... goalfest!!!!

Burnley 0 Sheff Wednesday 2 - Coughlan

Looks like 3 points on its way to Hillsborough

watman wrote:
    Burnley 0 Sheff Wednesday 2 - Coughlan

Looks like 3 points on its way to Hillsborough
    G O'Connor (pen) 83 for Burnley.
    Please God no..... not another game thrown in the last few mins!!!

Thank god for that.

Happy as a blade in brown stuff.

• Advertisement

Thank god for that.

Happy as a blade in brown stuff.
    YYYEAH!!
    Was a joy to see "FT" flick up on the BBC site!!
    From the highs of promotion, to the low of the moment.... 2005 was interesting.
    Here's to a surviving 2006!!

A glorious win....who needs strikers?

strikers are over rated anyway.

anyone know what is happening at the club at the moment?
    heckingbottom,peacock and evans i think were told they were not having contracts re-newed
    and lee and rocastle have been told to find new clubs.

partridge wasnt played today despite it being the final game i think before his contract is up, are his days numbered as well.

peacock and graham didnt travel to the game today, was it injury or something else.

brunt was played as a striker today
    there is talk of deon burton being a done deal because he didnt play today and several others are muted to be coming in the next few days
    strange goings on indeed

but hey a win is a win and im happy

Not sure what the story is with Peacock and Graham, Partridge sat on the bench for the duration. Eagles goes back to Man U now sadly.

there is talk of deon burton being a done deal because he didnt play today and several others are muted to be coming in the next few days

Done deal it is
    Sheffield Wednesday have wasted no time in bolstering their squad for the new year after completing the double signing of Rotherham striker Deon Burton and Derby’s Marcus Tudgay.

Owls boss Paul Sturrock has secured Burton, 29, on an 18-month contract while Tudgay, 22, has signed on a one-month loan deal with a view to a permanent move.

No time wasted... lets hope for a turnaround now and they keep the winning form going! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/sheff_wed/4574000.stm
    BBC wrote:
    Sheffield Wednesday have completed the double signing of Rotherham striker Deon Burton and Derby's Marcus Tudgay.

Burton, 29, has joined on an 18-month contract for £110,000 while Tudgay, 22, has signed on a one-month loan deal with a view to a permanent move.

Both players will be available to face Crewe at Hillsborough on Monday.

Sturrock told the club's official website: "Deon is a proven goal scorer, a penalty box player, who can also lead the line very well."

The Scot added: "Marcus can play several positions up front and is a different type of player.

"We watched him last season, when he scored 10 goals, and he played very well against us at Hillsborough."

Burton had arrived at Millmoor at the start of the season but handed in a transfer request prior to Christmas and Rotherham admit they had little choice but to let him go.

Chairman Peter Ruchniewicz said: "Everyone knows we are in a difficult financial situation and we have to look at all reasonable offers for our players."

About time you got some strikers!

Partridge is staying to the end of season as per :-

http://www.sheffieldtoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=59&ArticleID=1300300

2 new strikers and 1 nil up against Crewe already....

Happy 2006

3-0. Glorious.

Hippo wrote:
    3-0. Glorious.
    And the new boy got one.... and we're out of the danger zone!!
    Still a lot of work and adjustments to do, but it's looking a heck of a lot better.
    Long may it last!!!

• Advertisement

Talk about a kick in the teeth. Was getting his game and was only starting to come good and score goals and then up and leaves and goes to another Championship side after Sturrock made him Captain in his last game to show the fans appreciation.

Now Watford reap the rewards of Shef Wed getting the player match fit and ready for the Championship:(

Watford have signed Manchester United youngster Chris Eagles on loan until the end of the season.

The 20-year-old winger has been on loan at Championship rivals Sheffield Wednesday since the start of the campaign but has now made the switch to Vicarage Road for the second time in his short career.

Eagles spent three months with the Hornets last season, and is now looking forward to working under new boss Adrian Boothroyd.

He told the club's official website: "Joining Watford feels absolutely right and I'm really pleased to be joining a team that is doing so well - and is keen to improve and get into the Premier League.

"I will do everything I can to repay the faith shown in me by Aidy."

hopefully McGovern will be back soon and playing to his full potential and we wont miss eagles.

also we signed marcus tudgay till 2010!!!

so the signings include

1 deon burton
    2 marcus tudgay
    3 paul gilbert
    4 richie partridge(extended til end of season)
    5 nicky weaver (on loan still)

the team is getting more solid i feel.the leicester match will tell all i feel.put a bit more distance between us and relegation

McGovern hasn't played this season yet so I am not sure what match fitness is going to be like. Would think Richie is going to get more games now anyway. Getting a few players in with experience like Burton which is needed but not sure how many he is going to score. Still think we need a top quality striker if Sturrock can get his hands on one. I think at this stage he is just trying to get strikers in because he has none and going for his second choice. But if they keep Shef in the Championship I will be happy:D

if wednesday survive this season i feel good quality strikers may be attracted over the summer.that said, when is it ever true at hillsborough....

It certainly won't be easy, that's for sure. The fixture list for the last few games of the season makes difficult reading, we'd better have 54 points in the bag by then!

Hippo wrote:
    It certainly won't be easy, that's for sure. The fixture list for the last few games of the season makes difficult reading, we'd better have 54 points in the bag by then!

Look back through this thread and on the first day of the season I said it would be a hard season and the only thing I wanted was to stay in the Championship. Sturrock has come out and said the same. Especially when we where in the good run and if we had to win against Cardiff would have been close to the Play Offs. Before that the players where getting big heads and they got a good beating that nite and only recovering now. The thing Shef need to do is win against the team in the battle with them which started at Crewe and coming up now Leicester which is a 6 pointer so to speak:D

• Advertisement

So much for the 'magic' of the cup, easily our lowest attendance of the season today.

Hippo wrote:
    So much for the 'magic' of the cup, easily our lowest attendance of the season today.

Think everyone knew it wasn;t a serious match for STurrock. What team he put out? sounded like a few reserve players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I haven't seen anything of Wednesday this season, how's Whelan doing?

last season the fans would have said he was a great player, tough and capable.
    this season most feel he is not worthy of his place in the team at all. the game passes him by and he really hasnt made the step up to championship level.
    some forget how young he is, around 22 i think and is already club captain. they expect an awful lot from him after last year

Super win at home today against a very much in trouble Leicester, who are below us.
    Big game next week against our Yorkshire neighbours, who were beaten by Brighton today.... unlucky KingP :p

• Advertisement

whiskeyman wrote:
    Big game next week against our Yorkshire neighbours, who were beaten by Brighton today.... unlucky KingP :p

Thanks for that whiskeyman :D We will see who wins on saturday!!

Going over to the Saints - Sheffield Wednesday game at the end of next month, just thought I'd put that out there! Looking forward to it!

Hoping to get over next month for the derby(not Derby) match. If my mate can get me a ticket that is.

3 wins (in the league)on the bounce, whats goin on:D

Happy days.

Steven Maclean on the bench today:D .....

Leeds 1-0 Sheffield Wednesday :D

Paul Butler scores!!! Unlucky Big Nelly

Leeds 2-0 Sheffield Wednesday

Richard Cresswell against his old club :D

Im sorry lads but 3-0!!!

Cresswell again

any chance we can delete the above 3 posts ^^^ ?

:p

At least Crewe, Brighton and Leicester all lost too!

And Southampton, thats 6 defeats in the last 8 now!

Will be interesting when we meet next month.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    And Southampton, thats 6 defeats in the last 8 now!

Will be interesting when we meet next month.

Looks like we are going to get dragged into the dog fight to avoid relegation going on our current form, loads of injuries , Sammy Bangoura is away at the Africian Nations and the havoc been caused at management/ board level - 1 point since Boxing Day - been taken to penalties against Tamworth- and these fixtures to come in the next two months

Stoke v Preston
    Cardiff v Stoke
    Stoke v Plymouth
    QPR v Stoke
    Stoke v Millwall
    Norwich v Stoke
    Wolverhampton v Stoke
    Stoke v Crystal Palace
    Stoke v Burnley
    Leeds v Stoke

:(

• Advertisement