Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sheffield Wednesday

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

If any Liverpool fans read this.

Get rid of Carson, hes absolute garbage in net....

....so we can keep him another year:D

Such a fantastic result today sending all 3 down, dont care about the play-offs this year, thank god. Heart cant cope!!

Nice for Colin to celebrate 2nd place again!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

delighted with the "consolidation" of the place in the championship.
    hoping for some good signings during the close.
    there are all sorts of names being thrown around on the wednesday message board at the moment...:D
    such an optimistic lot!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

delighted with the "consolidation" of the place in the championship.
    hoping for some good signings during the close.
    there are all sorts of names being thrown around on the wednesday message board at the moment...:D
    such an optimistic lot!!!

Cracking win, I said at the start of the season(on here if I remember correctly) all I wanted for the Owls to stay in the Championship and work on from there. They have done that so I am happy. Carson has been making rumblings that he would like to stay on next season if he is still 3rd choice at Liverpool and I would be happy to see him stay. Would rate him above Lucas at the moment. Hopefully bring in a defender, midfielder and striker over the summer and we can make a run at the play offs. The club needed this season to bed the players into Championship footie

Big Nelly wrote:
    My thought are, stay this season in Championship even if we are just off bottom so we can build for next season! then we will be flying with Sturrock!

Posted on 11-08-2005, 09:15.....glad to see my wishs came true

Big Nelly wrote:
    Posted on 11-08-2005, 09:15.....glad to see my wishs came true

To be honest I dont think we'd be in this position if it werent for Messrs Tudgay, Burton(wow strikers that now where the net is) and Carson.
    Totally turned the season round for me. Apparently we're 4th in the form table for the whole league.

Only prediction i made was for us to beat the Blunts 2-1 and Maclean to score the pen late one...was nearly right.

I hope the commentators dont call the Blunts 'Sheffield' when theyre on the Premiership next season, it offends me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Big Nelly wrote:
    Carson has been making rumblings that he would like to stay on next season if he is still 3rd choice at Liverpool and I would be happy to see him stay. Would rate him above Lucas at the moment.

Should never have left Leeds and he wouldnt have found himself in this position. I wont deny I have had some satisfaction seeing him rot at Liverpool.

Kingp35 wrote:
    Should never have left Leeds and he wouldnt have found himself in this position. I wont deny I have had some satisfaction seeing him rot at Liverpool.

Ahh the good old bitter Leeds fans....haha.....was it not more to do with Leeds needing the cash than him wanting to move?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Big Nelly wrote:
    Ahh the good old bitter Leeds fans....haha.....was it not more to do with Leeds needing the cash than him wanting to move?

No he was upset that he wasnt first choice goalkeeper. A new contract was offered to him to stay at the club, it was a pretty decent contract as well compared to waht other players were on but Liverpool came in for him as well and he chose to leave. Another case of a young player making the wrong move. Im sure your not complaining though :D

Kingp35 wrote:
    No he was upset that he wasnt first choice goalkeeper. A new contract was offered to him to stay at the club, it was a pretty decent contract as well compared to waht other players were on but Liverpool came in for him as well and he chose to leave. Another case of a young player making the wrong move. Im sure your not complaining though :D

Exactly, no complaints from the Wednesday fans that he left Leeds for Liverpool. :p

the latest from hillsborough as re-building for next season begins.
    general consensus is that it is harsh on JPM to not be offered a new contract because of his injury all season, maybe not signingthat contract at christmas has come back to haunt him.

once again ritchie partridge has moved on, never really got going at wednesday.should questions be asked about him or sturrock?
    bullen the utility 35 year old is kept(he can play everywhere, even in goal)
    no other surprises in my eyes

Sheffield Wednesday manager Paul Sturrock has revealed which of his squad members have been offered contracts for the 2006-07 season.

Lee Bullen has "verbally agreed" a new one-year deal to stay at Hillsborough.

Drissa Diallo and Richie Partridge have been released, with Sturrock thanking them for their service to the club.

All aspects of Jon-Paul McGovern's situation were discussed at board level and it was also decided not to offer the winger a contract for next season.

David Lucas is "thinking over" an offer of a revised contract until he achieves match fitness.

Patrick Collins and Craig Rocastle - who are both under contract for a further season - have been told they will be allowed to leave the club.

David Graham's loan spell at Huddersfield has been extended until the end of the play-offs and his situation will be discussed at that stage.

• Advertisement

No surprises except JPMG but I suppose if we are to move then we need higher quality players. Again we are left with a very small squad. Sturrock wasnt at game at weekend to watch some players so hopefully some good ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

Can't really question Sturrock at this stage, he's succeeded well given the resources he inherited, and his signings seemed to make the difference after Christmas. Of course, next season will tell the full story, and based on the recent run of form the playoffs could be a possibility....but hope I'm not tempting fate!

Hippo wrote:
    Can't really question Sturrock at this stage, he's succeeded well given the resources he inherited, and his signings seemed to make the difference after Christmas. Of course, next season will tell the full story, and based on the recent run of form the playoffs could be a possibility....but hope I'm not tempting fate!

So far the man has been a legend to be honest, done great things. I like his approch as well. Says whats on his mind and doesnt really give 2 sh*ts, his interviews are gas

OWLS SWOOP FOR SMALL

Sheffield Wednesday manager Paul Sturrock is set to complete his first signing of the summer by capturing MK Dons winger Wade Small. Small, aged 22, will join the Owls on a three-year contract for a substantial, undisclosed transfer fee, subject to passing a medical.

The Londoner made 115 appearances for the Dons, 99 of those coming in the league, after making his debut at Championship level in 2003-04. He faced Wednesday twice during the 2004-05 season, in which he was named Players' Player of the Year. Predominantly a right-sided player, the pacy Small has also figured in left-wing and striking roles since graduating through the Dons' youth system.

Sturrock said: "I've seen Wade several times over the last couple of years and he's our type of signing. He is very quick, can play in a variety of positions offensively and has high potential. I hope he does very well for Sheffield Wednesday."

Subject to the medical, Small will move to Hillsborough on June 1st.

Another player in, dont know much about him....Sturrock getting a good few players in the revive the squad.

Bougherra's Joy

Madjid BougherraMadjid Bougherra is already straining at the leash over the prospect of getting his Owls career off the ground after completing his move to Hillsborough.

Algerian international Bougherra has signed a three-year contract with Wednesday after crossing the channel from French side FC Gueugnon.

The 23-year-old gained experience of the English game during a loan spell with Crewe Alexandra last term, in which he put in an impressive display. Now he is excited about the challenge ahead at Wednesday, with whom the defender admits he wishes to sample top-flight football.

"I'm very happy to sign because it is a good team and a big team," Madjid exclusively told WednesdayWorld.

"I have spoken with the manager and the whole staff and am very confident and excited about playing with Sheffield Wednesday. They have a minimum of 25,000 supporters (at home games) and I want to play well for those supporters.

"I want to go to the Premiership with the team for the supporters and the city because Sheffield Wednesday don't want to stay in the Championship. I'm very excited and want the supporters to say I'm a good signing."

Never heard of him Nelly. Where in defence does he play and what was he like at Crewe?

Kingp35 wrote:
    Never heard of him Nelly. Where in defence does he play and what was he like at Crewe?

Havent a clue but it seems a number of clubs where after him......was seemily the star player at Crewe when he joined them on loan, never seen him play but I thrust Sturrock

i think he played in central defence for crewe for about 8-11 games.
    his presence coincided with crewes excellent closing form and much tighter defence.
    this could be an excellent signing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭watman

Bougherra - was very highly thought of up the road at Crwho - Should be an excellent signing for Wednesday - Yeah he plays Centre Half

• Advertisement

watman wrote:
    Bougherra - was very highly thought of up the road at Crwho - Should be an excellent signing for Wednesday - Yeah he plays Centre Half

Crwho??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭watman

Big Nelly wrote:
    Crwho??
    Sorry its what we Stoke Fans use to describe Crewe

Sheffield Wednesday can confirm that the signing of Kenny Lunt has been completed after the midfielder successfully passed his medical examination on Thursday morning.

Another good signing for the Owls

Shocking:

Sheffield Wednesday midfielder Glenn Whelan will fight for his place despite being on the transfer list.

The former Owls skipper was listed on the eve of the club's US tour, but still featured in all three games in America and was praised by boss Paul Sturrock for his attitude.

"I've got a lot to prove to a lot of people, and the only way I can do that is by playing well," Whelan told the Star.

"I was surprised and probably a bit disappointed to be transfer-listed, but I could understand it as well after the gaffer brought in two central midfield players.

"I'm not letting it get to me. I've no plans to go anywhere. I'm still going to work hard and try to get into the plans of the club. I like it at Sheffield Wednesday. I don't want to go anywhere without a fight.

"If I keep working hard and keep myself fit, you never know what can happen. I want to stay and fight for my spot."

I hope it works out for him. I thought he looked really out of his depth last season, having been brilliant the season before.

Hippo wrote:
    I hope it works out for him. I thought he looked really out of his depth last season, having been brilliant the season before.

Sturrock is still playing him in all the games, think he started to believe he was better than he was so Sturrock gave him a kick up the backside, hopefully will get his form back like he was playing earlier last season when he was captain

• Advertisement

Anyone else worried about Carson not signing on again?

Anyone else worried about Carson not signing on again?

Looks like Pompey are looking to sign him, Sturrock has given up and looking elsewhere for a keeper, only young Irish lad at moment in goals. Need more cover.

...and a grim 4-0 pre-season defeat away to Mansfield...ouch!:eek:

Hippo wrote:
    ...and a grim 4-0 pre-season defeat away to Mansfield...ouch!:eek:

Wednesday manager Paul Sturrock accepted his share of the blame for a jet-lagged Owls side's 4-0 friendly defeat to Mansfield Town.

Sturrock's men looked off the pace throughout the game, having arrived back in Sheffield on Monday lunchtime after a 22-hour journey home from Rochester, USA, and the boss admitted: "I got it totaly wrong tonight. I've got to put my hand up and apologise to the fan base for that.

"I've never taken a team that distance on tour and I didn't take into consideration how tired I am and how tired they are. They were the leggiest team I've ever seen in my life."

However, Sturrock was also dismayed that not enough of his players showed the character necessary to play through their tiredness, and added:

"That's no excuse for a lack of attitude which some of them showed. I was absolutely amazed with some of the individual performances. I've been here two years and I know my beasts - they weren't there tonight."

Only Chris Adamson, Yoann Folly and Steven MacLean emerged from the night with any praise from Sturrock, who was keen not to detract from the Stags' "excellent" performance.

And, in apologising to supporters, he reminded them that it's the league action, beginning at Preston a week on Saturday, that really counts:

"One season with Dundee United we had eight friendlies and never won one - but won the Championship," he said. "This has been a real slap in the face to everyone at the club. We've got one game to get it right."

Drew Talbot out for 6 weeks and Corr,Small,Hills,Gilbert,Tudgay,Adams and Wood all unavailable for the curtain raiser against Boro. David Grahams gone to Bradford also.

Sounds familiar. Anyone fancy a game???

Just hope theyve got over the jetlag.

• Advertisement

Sheffield Wednesday chairman Dave Allen has refused to enter into talks about selling the club to boxing promoter Dennis Hobson.

Allen has made public his willingness to hand over control at Hillsborough to anyone with £25million who is prepared to meet his stringent conditions of sale.

Hobson, who manages world boxing champion Clinton Woods and Ricky Hatton, this week stepped up his bid to take over and heads a Jersey-based consortium that has made initial contact with the Owls board.

He insists he is the right man to lead Wednesday back into the big time and has urged Allen to put personal differences aside so the pair can work out a deal.

But the current Owls chief refuses to budge, reiterating any consortium interested in a possible takeover must outline their specific plans in writing before serious negotiations can start.

A club statement read: "The club requires any potential investors to put their proposals in writing to the board of Sheffield Wednesday and not through the media.

"We have written to Mr Hobson giving him a deadline for his reply, but that deadline has passed without any reply having been received."

Hobson first tried to invest in his hometown club - currently £27million in debt - two years ago, but was told by the board of directors his help was not needed.

Allen told him on Saturday to "put up or shut up" following the Owls' 2-1 home defeat to 10-man Derby and insisted any new investor must meet four stringent conditions - to purchase the club shares held by existing directors, to repay the existing directors' loans, to pay off a large chunk of the club's debt and to provide £8million for team strengthening.

But Hobson said: "It's not up to Dave Allen how much we pay to the bank and how much we put in the coffers for team strengthening. We know what the club needs.

"We have got a substantial amount of money to move forward, that's not a problem. We are ready to move if he's ready to do a deal. Everything is in place to move forward very quickly.

"Let's do it. It's not about him or me. It's about Sheffield Wednesday.

"We don't want to short change him, we just want him to move over and let someone else have a go.

"Let's sit down, bury the hatchet and get this club moving forward."

Club needs to do something, Allen is losing it I think, club is in serious debt and nothing seems to be moving us out of it, had to let players on loan return to clubs last week because they had gone over budget, this is when we hardly have enough first team players!! Also Allen stopped the Bates takeover and look at the money Leeds have had to spend since he took over, where would Wednesday be with that money????

Couldn't agree more. The squad is threadbare to say the least, cash injection needed urgently!

Brillant, Shef Wed is one of the most used threads!! we are winners in something!! pity the team is sh*t and the club is in pure disarray

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Well, we've announced recently that we've reduced our loses.... yippee...
    Gotta love Sturrocks recent quote after the Sunderland game:
    "Our season starts on 14 October".
    Shame he doesn't realise all the teams above us started theirs much much earlier...

*sigh*

A massive increase in commercial revenues led Sheffield Wednesday to make a profit before interest and taxation last season, it is revealed in the club's annual accounts to 31st May 2006 which were published today.

The Owls' profit before interest and tax of £389,000 compared to a loss of £1.11 million in 2005; the headline loss before transfers was £180,000, compared to that of £2.52 million the previous year. Indebtedness to the bank was reduced to £22.23 million, while directors' loan notes remained unchanged at £4.35 million.

These hugely-improved results were due to a 20 per cent increase in turnover upon the Owls' promotion to the Championship, with club commercial revenues up by nearly a quarter. Match receipts at the Football League's best-supported club also rose by over 7 per cent to more than £5m.

In his annual statement to shareholders, SWFC chairman Dave Allen said: "After some difficult years following relegation from the Premiership, at last we are on an even keel and trading successfully. The annual accounts show the excellent progress made by the company over the year to 31st May 2006. Both on and off the field of play we achieved our aims - to consolidate our place in the Championship and achieve a break-even budget."

Mr Allen also revealed that he and finance director Bob Grierson held talks with three groups of "would-be investors in the club" in the last financial year. But he added that no such investor is likely to develop their interest until 51 per cent of the club's shares are available to them.

The annual report and accounts show that Mr Allen gifted the club £69,834 during the year, this sum covering the loans of Scott Carson and Mikkel Bischoff.

Nothing there to be too cheerful about. Still over 20mil in dept and not looking like any time in near future Allen is going to allow an investor to come in and sort it out!!

we are in a poor state at the moment.
    i was at the derby game when we were 1-0 up and a man up with 15 minutes to go and still lose at home.

we need a creative midfielder and a goalscorer quickly and for cheap as well!!!!disaster!

"SWFC have parted company with Paul Sturrock." - Official SMS

Cant say im suprprised, saturdays game was shocking against 10 men for 70 mins. To get trounced by Colchester last night was fckin stomach churning.

I think PS made some bad buys but he looks to have a good squad of League 1 players but not enough Champ players.

Im sick of this board too, Dave Allen should get the fck out too and let someone with a bit of money and an actual passion for the club come in.

Going nowhere...slowly

Sad day

Thanks for a great day out in Cardiff.

Owls Part Company With Sturrock

Sheffield Wednesday FCSheffield Wednesday Football Club have parted company with their manager Paul Sturrock.

Chairman Dave Allen stated: "Our league position says it all. However, the chairman and directors would like to place on record our thanks to Paul for his efforts."

He added: "No one will forget that wonderful day we all had at Cardiff when we won the play-offs and were subsequently promoted to the Championship.

"Unfortunately, in spite of strengthening the squad this year, we have not made the desired progress and, to that end, we need a change in the coaching staff."

An announcement regarding who will take the team on Saturday will be made tomorrow (Friday). The search for a new manager has already started.

****ign joke, they just gave him a new contract a few weeks back and then they sack him. It wasnt his fault Allen is a fcuking muppet and gave him no money and wont let anyone invest in the club. Turning into a joke now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Disappointing to see from a personal perspective, as Sturrock was never given a chance at Southampton and is a genuinely nice guy.

But football is all about results and he hasn't been getting them. Any idea's on who'll come in?

Sad day indeed. Last night's performance seems to have been awful, and that with a squad almost entirely composed of Sturrock players. Having said that, do we really need yet another managerial change, especially when whoever it is will as usual have fcuk all money to spend?:mad:

• Advertisement

Allen disgusts me.

He thinks hes playing this game on his effing Playstation or something.
    Give him 4 years, a few bad results and he sacks him.
    OK, the results were woeful, even worse than previous managers in the long haul but we dont have money and this training ground farce that was meant to ease the debt to the Co-op is never happening. Whose fault is that. Youve lost a good manager in Sturrock, its not his fault he didnt have the resources to build a proper Champ squad.

You cant give a guy 4 years and then sack him a month later. Its gonna cost him to buy out the contract now. Some of the players on saturday deserve to be sacked tbh.

Allen out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Totally agree with ya acquiescefc.
    What the feck is he thinking.

i am appalled by the sacking.
    i have a number of friends who support lower division english sides and they have often said to me in the past that wednesday have the best manager outside of the premiership in sturrock - well they dont anymore.

sack the board - allen out
    i never usually want to protest, but allen has over stepped the mark this time. he has no idea about football and that plague of f*ckers in the boardroom will continue to set the club back with cheap short term solutions.

Allen wont make money available for transfers, the squad is sh1T.The one thing we had going for ourselves was sturrock.

Allen disgusts me.

You cant give a guy 4 years and then sack him a month later. Its gonna cost him to buy out the contract now. Some of the players on saturday deserve to be sacked tbh.

Allen out

hearing rumours that there may have been a clause in the contract. Dont know the details behind it but Sturrock may not be due much and this may not cost allen

hearing rumours that there may have been a clause in the contract. Dont know the details behind it but Sturrock may not be due much and this may not cost allen

yeah i heard that. Looks like hes sacked the backroom boys this morning. Or im guessing they probably walked.

The Academy, which is doing fantastically, is gonna lose their manager now to take the team on saturday.

Uncle Allen has gone too far this time.

ALLEN OUT

Just to keep everyone up to date!!

On Monday Wednesday appointed Brian Laws of scunthorpe, also taking Wilcox his assistant to wednesday.They agreed compensation for Laws.Scunthorpe said that they would forego the compensation for Wilcox if they were allowed talk to Sean McAuley, the sheffield Wednesday Academy coach you have done such a great job as caretaker remaining unbeaten with 3 wins and a draw i think. Wednesday refused scunthorpe permission to talk to mcauley and paid the extra compensation for wilcox. Mcauley has since been given a new 3 year contrat in the academy - which is the one good thing to have come from this affair.

Not convinced with the appointment of Laws - Having spent pretty much his whole mangerial career at scunny it remains to be seen can he cut it here.
    however i would have hated megson or 'relegation robson'.

Dave Allen the chairman did say he was going to bring a manager with experience of getting teams into the premiership.Therefore the appointment of laws does not meet his own criteria amongst other criteria he pointed out.

in transfer news Brad Jones has gone back to middlesboro and in comes MARK CROSSLEY between the sticks.
    something tells me crossley is going to be good, i have liked him in the past.

in other news swindon have appointed Paul Sturrock as manager

Not convinced about Laws either, but I've read quite a few scunny supporters writing about the attractive brand of football his teams play, which may fit in nicely with the liberation the team has undergone since the Sturrock defensive approach was changed by McAuley. Definitely not what Allen was looking for though, a la Staunton I think Laws got it cos no one else wanted it.
    Crossley sounds like an excellent signing, fingers tightly crossed for the rest of the season!:)

funny you should mention the whole staunton affair cus i was thinking exactly the same when the idea of lwas came up.

i like to give fellas a chance and with staunton i really wanted to.but at this moment in time i am not happy with stauntons appointment.this has hardened my views and i no longer feel like giving someone inexperienced a chance.

had the staunton incident not happened i would have been in favour of giving laws a chance however now i'm not so sure. i really wanted experience this time round - and i dont feel like we have the right level of experience with laws

Ha! I never wanted to give Staunton a chance....and I do worry about Laws' lack of experience. We'll just have to put up with it for the moment I guess.

• Advertisement

Lads I think your all being a bit pessimistic when it comes to Laws appointment. I think he is a decent manager and he has proven this with what he has achieved with Scunny. They have no money at all to talk about and he has put together a good side that play good attractive football. I think he will get Wednesday up the table because he knows what he is doing.

If he can bring Billy Sharpe with him then that will be some signing. The guy is only twenty and he has bags of potential and is banging them in for fun. Leeds have been linked with him in recent times but maybe the appointment of Laws might persuade Sharpe to go to Wenesday. I hope not though :D

Advertisement