Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sheffield Wednesday

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Thought People may like to look at these. Definitely two of the best and most underrated players in britain in the 80s and 90s and played together in an excellent wednesday team.
    some people never really tuned into wednesday at the time as they were rather unfashionable.

David Hirst - http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=...790240424316936

(very long clip, but worth it)

I honestly think the guy was better than Alan Shearer in his day and had he not been so injury prone would have conquered england. the guy was immense.did he have the hardest shot in britain?

John Sheridan - http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=...532193995417170

(also quite long)

what Ireland wouldnt give to have a creative player like Sheridan now. He had it all and this clip contains that goal against Luton Town where he flicks the ball up from a free kick and drills home.

watch out for major contributions from carlton palmer.also a great player.
    special thanks to the legend who compiled this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Both leg-ends.

Part of my favourite Wednesday moments, the Boy Wonders goal against Kaiserslautern, the opening day of the season when he murdered Hull.

and Johnny Sheridans 37th minute goal against Man Ure, the most important goal since 1867...probably.

Hmm..Makes the likes of Brunt and Graham look pretty shallow in comparison.

there's a goal in that mix from a bad camera angle , but its all flicks, back heels and one touches.magical stuff.

brunt indeed is a poor idol to have at a club when you see the talent that has gone before

for anyone who is interested into the art of long range shooting check out the goals against leicester.
    brunt penalty, brunt long shot, whelan screamer and tudgay screamer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aow-qvQFbkw

another great win today 1-2 against norwich.
    it's such a tight division thou!
    3 points off the play offs, yet still in 12th!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

Fantastic result alright!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Lucky today :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

kensutz wrote:
    Lucky today :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Oh I don't think so...http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/6201394.stm

Hey all,

you may be aware police are trying to find the bodies of a two young men in the canal. earlier they found the body of one of the youths Shane Coughlan of Clondalkin.

This is the younger brother Sheffield Wednesday Central Defender Graham Coughlan.

http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/?jp=MHAUAUKFCWID

Divers are continuing to search the Grand Canal in the Clondalkin area of Dublin today for a second 18-year-old missing since leaving a party in the area at the weekend.

Yesterday, the body of Shane Coughlan, from Mill Park in Clondalkin, was found in a stretch of the canal alongside Fonthill Road.

Mr Coughlan and his friend, David White, from Tallaght, went missing in the early hours of Sunday morning after leaving a house party to buy cigarettes.

The search of the canal began on Tuesday evening after footwear belonging to one of the men was found on the banks.

An initial post mortem on Mr Coughlan's body indicated that the case of death was drowning.

Condolences go out to the Coughlan family at this time and the other young man's family if their worst fears come through.

Just seen it on the front of the papers. Shocked.
    What with whats happened with the Quinns families and now this.

Sad news for Cocko and his family. One of the players i have always had respect for his passion when playing for us.

RIP

Hope the other guy is found ok.

Come on wednesday.

What are the odds for the treble?

SWFC going up
    Blades going down
    L**ds going down

Ok, well 2 out of 3 aint bad.

• Advertisement

You all know which way to vote

The poll is down at bottom right of the page

http://www.hallamfm.co.uk/

so far the results are as follows:
    should SUFC stay up?
    Yes? 9%
    No? 91%

Pretty conclusive i think... the blunts are losers.:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

hmmm - so steve maclean our top scorer has been let go to cardiff for free after failing to negotiate a new deal with wednesday.
    i hate our board, i really do.

we are being led to believe we are definitely in for billy sharp, but i am not convinced we will get him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

:eek:

Look two posts up?

Really feel sorry for the Sheff Wed fans, I remember Tolka Park was in a similar state.

Some genius took a photo of it, but not before sticking a little rubber ducky in the frame. Legend. The picture hangs in the bar in Tolka park to this day.

It was the start of all of our troubles that flood.

thats really strange - kingsp35s post wasnt there when i dug up the thread so i never even saw that post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

smackbunnybaby - how do you rate Frank Simek? I saw him play a few times for the US in the Gold Cup last week, he seemed pretty decent.

frankie is an excellent right back - he gets up and down his wing, rarely gets beaten for pace and does manage to get his crosses in. he does need to work at his crosses but his overall defending is excellent.
    i think we got him for free from arsenal reserves.

he was probably one of wednesdays best players last year in terms of consistency.

its interesting you should bring him up as it was mentioned on wednesday message boards ages ago (january) that 3 players would leave this summer, so this time is approaching

1. maclean (who just left)
    2. Brunt
    3. simek

the transfer activity is just beginning to pick up and i think we may lose frankie. nothing is definite but remember where you heard it if he does.
    if the other two are sold there will be a revolt at hillsborough as the fans were told this was a promotion year and we have prepared for it by:

selling our leading scorer maclean and possibly our most creative midfielder in brunt and consistent defender in simek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

He came on as a sub for Jonathan Spector(West Ham) who went off injured on Sunday against Mexico. He did a much better job marking Guardardo who gave Spector a lot of trouble. Not part of the Copa America squad though.

Another 120k down the River Don for the pitch clean up.

Are we the unluckiest club around or what.

Gutted Macca went, im hoping we have a replacement, to let him go for nothing is sickening. I was never totally sold on his talent for the CCC, but never EVER missed a spot kick, especially THAT one in Cardiff.

I hope we can hang onto Brunty and Simek, especially with Whelan staying. If Leon Clarke gets his act together and we get a top class striker, like Fowler(hehe), we could have a chance.

And Kingp35....at least we're swimming and not sinking:cool:

well as expected the first few free transfers have started.
    as expected we signed Lee Grant and Richard Hinds.
    but we also signed a young released spurs goalkeeper Robert Burch.
    hopefully more will follow and brunt and simek arent sold!

this is taken from the official site:

Sheffield Wednesday FC has signed three new players to bolster their defensive set-up for the 2007/08 season.

Goalkeepers Robert Burch and Lee Grant have committed to contracts with the Owls along with utility player Richard Hinds.

Burch, is a 23-year-old former England Under-20 goalkeeper who has been released by Premiership side Tottenham Hotspur while Lee Grant, 24, signs from Derby County having been part of the Rams' promotion winning squad this season.

Grant made 79 appearances for Derby also playing on loan at Burnley and Oldham Athletic in 2005/06 and signs on a three-year contract.

Richard Hinds is a 26-year-old Sheffield-born utility player, comfortable in midfield and defence. He joins the Owls on a two-year deal after making 105 Scunthorpe United appearances during just over two years at Glanford Park having started out with Tranmere Rovers before moving to Hull City.

I'll be surprised if they hang on to Brunt and Simek, especially Brunt. Fulham seem very determined and certainly have enough cash to make an improved offer. All quite depressing really :(

its a case of one step forwards and two steps back with wednesday tbh...

there are rumours beginning to build about a take over of sheffield wednesday.
    there are two fellas looking to take over:

Paul Gregg formerly of everton's board and Ireland's very own Sean Quinn.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Gregg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Quinn

these are only unconfirmed rumours but other forum posters claim it is only a matter of time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

THe Sean Quinn rumour was in the Daily Star today.
    What's peoples opinions on this?
    Do you think Quinn might try and make Wednesday like Sunderland, and get the Irish support?
    Either way, we need the money!

Apparently it's only Paul Gregg, Dave Allen has denied any Sean Quinn involvement (according to the Sheffield Star)

Another DA excuse.

And it will all fall through because of the 10% Wednesdayite shares, asuming there is actually someone serious.

Its a joke, im fed up with it. Im hoping this is all just process but it all sounds like DA spin. Theres apparently a 2mill bid for a player on the table who we wont get and we'll resort to a league one player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

We've put in a bid for Glenn Whelan.

Press conference set for Friday at 2. Gregg takeover?

Biggest day since Cardiff tomorrow. So excited(hopefully for the right reason)

Fingers and toes are well and truly crossed that DA will be history.

i am sorry to say it was a disaster of a day. dave allen is a swine.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/s/sheff_wed/6908681.stm

Owls chief angry as buy-out fails

Sheffield Wednesday chairman Dave Allen has blamed a supporters group for the collapse of a potential takeover by former Everton director Paul Gregg.

Allen revealed Gregg withdrew his offer after the "Wednesdayite" group refused to sell a 10% share without conditions.

The Hillsborough board only hold 32% of the club's shares, which had been a source of concern for Gregg.

Allen said: "I would suggest the majority of fans get together and sort the minority out."

Wednesday have debts of around £26m and Gregg had been in negotiations for months in a bid to take control at Hillsborough.

Allen added: "We've been talking to Paul Gregg since January. He's been looking to invest in a club and he was particularly interested in Wednesday.

"He's got connections in the area and his son's a fan. We had a lot of meetings with him and he completed due diligence but the bottom line is this....."

Allen then read a copy of the letter received from Gregg's solicitors.

It read: "Our client has unfortunately decided to withdraw from the opportunity to purchase initially the shares of the club. This decision was made reluctantly after much discussion.

"Our client had completed satisfactorily due financial diligence but one of the crucial reasons why our client decided to withdraw was the recognition that the acquisition of only 30% of the club could be delivered with any definitive certainty.

"However we felt that control was a necessity for our client. In addition the potential blocking ability of the supporters trust who are 10% shareholders was a clear detraction from making an offer."

Allen has offered to put £500,000 of his own money into the club in exchange for Wednesdayite giving up their shares but has refused to talk to the group.

But the Wednesdayite group hit back at Allen's claims.

It said in a statement: "We at Wednesdayite have become used to being portrayed in a negative way by those who look backwards instead of forwards.

"Are we really the stumbling block to progress? Progress requires movement. We have moved - some would say a long way already - and we are willing to discuss further movement. We are not preventing progress.

"It is those who will not move from their entrenched positions who are the real stumbling block. Constant repetition of 'It's Wednesdayite's fault' may be easy and may even convince some, but at the end of the day, it is not a way to achieve progress."

Apollo Leisure group millionaire Gregg sold his Everton shares after falling out with chairman Bill Kenwright.

i am rather skeptical if this will actually happen. season ticket puller?

Owls offer striker Kluivert trial

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/s/sheff_wed/6912404.stm

Sheffield Wednesday have offered a trial to Dutch international striker Patrick Kluivert.

The 31-year-old plays for PSV Eindhoven but is understood to be looking for a move elsewhere.

Owls boss Brian Laws told BBC Radio Sheffield: "I have a strong contact in Holland who is Kluivert's agent.

"We've invited the boy down and I want to run the rule over him. It is just a possibility and is nothing concrete at the moment but we've made an enquiry."

Kluivert has experience of playing in England after a spell with Newcastle.

He started only 14 Premiership games for the Magpies, scoring six times.

Newcastle rejected the opportunity to take up the option for a second year on his contract leaving him free to join Valencia in the summer of 2005.

He subsequently left the Italian side to link up with PSV the following year.

Kluivert has played for some of Europe's biggest clubs including AC Milan, Ajax and Barcelona.

radio sheffield are reporting that francis jeffers has agreed terms with wednesday.

we will see....

• Advertisement

sheffield wednesday confirm the signing of Francis Jeffers

http://www.eecho.ie/news/bstory.asp?j=169456875&p=y694574xx&n=169457477

i hope we can re launch his career at hillsborough.

i hope we can re launch his career at hillsborough.

Fingers, toes, everything crossed. This could be a crucial signing....

today is yet another black day in Wednesday's History.
    The already hated Chairman Dave Allen has announced the clubs intentions to sue fans for comments made on a message board.
    Really this is a veiled attempt to sue fans he feels are involved in some shape or form with Wednesdayite, a supporters trust who holds 10 % of shares, according to what i have heard.

below is a letter one of the people being sued has written for general circulation to make the media aware of this madness.
    NOTE: No one in particular is Possibly Dave Allen :)

Is this normal behaviour by a chairman?
    Using club funds to pay to sue its fans, money which the fans have pumped into the club. The fans that are being targeted arent keyboard warriors, many have given their lives to helping the club. In particular one individual actually worked the turnstyles as did his father.

Dear Sir,

I am one of the many Sheffield Wednesday supporters that the club is looking to sue. If nobody in particular and the other board members get their way, I face bankruptcy, losing my home and jeopardising my 7 year old son’s future.

What could I possibly have written on a internet messageboard that could trigger such a fierce retaliation? I expressed an opinion that the club’s activity in the transfer market was not as genuine as it appeared. I used no foul language, I merely expressed my genuinely held opinion.. I named no-one. Yet apparently, this constitutes defamation. I am also aware of another life long supporter of the club who is subject to possible legal action for suggesting that Chris Brunt would be sold and that we would have a poor start to the season. Both of which are now evidently correct.

Is this what Sheffield Wednesday have now stooped to ? Is there really such tyranny in the boardroom that any dissent amongst the paying customers is met with such excessive action ?

I am advised that if all of the defamation action against the supporters of this club comes to fruition, it will cost the club in the region of £8 million pounds. To what end ? Are the club really going to spend that much money to pursue targets that have little or no money in a bid just to stifle any questioning of their handling of matters in the boardroom ? The action cannot be taking place for financial gain. It is merely bullying and intimidation.

Supporters of the club should be made aware of this. How would fans feel that £8 million pounds is available for these lawsuits, yet we cannot afford to strengthen a team that , given the progress made on the field last season, should easily be challenging for promotion this year ? If supporters knew that this is where their money was being channelled , would there be an outcry ? Would there be fewer attendees ? I guess it’s not possible to speculate as supporting a football club is generally a matter of the heart and it is difficult to switch off one’s passion but I am aware of many supporters who will no longer contribute to the club to fund such a repugnant course of action.

I am copying this letter to the Football League and the FA as I feel that the actions taken by the Sheffield Wednesday directors are harming football in general. Damaging the product. Football has long been a game of opinions and if Sheffield Wednesday get their way and proceed with legal action against 40 paying customers, it will rip the heart out of football in this country.

I implore you to investigate and report on these actions. As journalists, it is your duty to get to the truth and to report accurately on exactly what is transpiring in our football club. Recent articles show a disgraceful bias toward the club. nobody in particular will not be chairman of Sheffield Wednesday for ever, but the fans will always be here and you should bear that in mind when you publish letters and stories without getting a proper balance.

Unfortunately, I cannot provide my name or address as nobody in particular is unaware of my details, he needs these to proceed with legal action against me and, despite the clubs crippling debt, he continues to spend the clubs money to acquire them.

If you have any sense of fairness, you will print this letter, but given the current levels of sycophancy towards the club, you will appreciate that I harbour doubts as to whether you will.

the clubs official statement about the matter:

Club Statement
    Posted on: Fri 14 Sep 2007

Sheffield Wednesday Football Club Statement

A fan site has consistently been used as a forum for the posting of untrue and damaging statements about the Club. The Club's lawyers (K&L Gates) have written to the operator of that site regarding his involvement in the publication of those statements and asking for information about the individuals that have made those statements.

We are considering the response from his lawyers and are taking advice on the appropriate action to be taken. The Club expects and welcomes comment from its supporters, but when those comments include false and misleading allegations and accusations, the Club will need to take action to protect its reputation and the reputation of its Directors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Thats a bit of a disgrace alright by the board to be looking to make examples. Before anything should be done, shouldn't they open a commentary with the fans, take some of these "accusations and lies" and blow them out of the water. Explain the way things really are in whatever those cases are. Attack the post, not the poster if you will.

• Advertisement

Dave Allen the chairman hates Wednesdayite the fans group who own 10% of clubs shares.

He wont speak to them, despite numerous correspondances by the group asking him to talk to them regarding making their shares available for an investor to buy.

As far as he is concerned Wednesdayite = Internet Warriors and trouble makers. He has obviously found out the identity of some of these posters to be members of Wednesdayite and is suing them for damaging the reputation of the club when in actual fact they were justing voicing their opinion on the running of the club.

what next? Suing fans for having an opinion while drinking in the pub??

The following link is for a petition for Sheffield Wednesday to drop legal proceedings against fans for comments made on a message board.

Currently over 500 people have signed the petiton in only a few days.
    I dont want people to be forced into signing anything they dont believe in but if you read it and agree please vote to stop these fans losing everything they have.

http://www.gopetition.com/online/14296.html

this is not something i want to turn into a slagging match.
    If you agree with what is said your support would be greatly appreciated.
    if you dont agree please ignore this post.

Thanks

All in all a great start to the season!

Hippo wrote:
    All in all a great start to the season!

tell me about it!
    im going over on Saturday to see then against 'ull Citeh.
    i am hoping i manage to inspire them to get the first points of the season.
    worst ever start to a season!

Anyone going to the derby game or erm the Derby game?

Ill be on the kop for the derby.....yay

Allen In!!

ha ha - Allen In, it remains to be seen!
    im going to the ipswich game on feb 2nd.

Couldn't get one for the derby owing to restrictions on sale of tickets :mad:

yeah wednesday do that ticket stubs thing so it forces to fans to go to a number of games instead of the really big ones like this.
    its a shame really, the ground should and would be a sell out, but wednesday never let this happen.
    why they cant just sell tickets individually i will never know - imagine the atmosphere in the ground!!

great win yesterday for the wednesday 2-0.
    thought they played a really good tactical game, soaked it up and hit united on the break.JJ and sodje were outstandding but 17/18 year old mark beevers looked immense in central defence, i hope he isnt taken without a fight.
    while i recognise wednesday are in alot of trouble, in my opinion united are in far worse trouble with robson. with the players he has they should be doing a lot better. i dont think he will last much longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Robson's a terrible manager, any club looking to ruin themselves must try and get him or Souness

• Advertisement
Advertisement