Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New NTL offering on the way?

Options
  • 07-11-2002 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭

Just got off the phone with NTL's sales people - was checking broadband availibility where I live. I can't get it. (Even though it is available about 150 metres from my house).

He said that the upgrade was stopped so abruptly that some places are in a situation where the first 4 houses on a road might have 2 way cable, and the rest have 1 way.

BUT, when I was talking to the guy on the phone he said that NTL would be launching a ""high speed internet access" product "all over Dublin". He had "no idea about speeds or price" only that it will be "some kind of flat-rate offering" but said that he was sure it would be available all over Dublin and it is happening because they're "under pressure from the ODTR" to provide something.

He said it would be rolling out "After Christmas - if you can hold on for that long"

Light at the end of the tunnel?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

It is a Carrier Preselect with up to 2 Channel IDSN Multilink offering .

Max 128k Friaco in other words.

Broadband me hiyle as they say in siyth Dublin.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

Monkeys might fly outta my ass,

they are broke and they have no interest in upgrading Dublin,
    any money they make in Ireland (€16 million per year profit) goes back to the good ole UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

MUCK....where on earth did you dig that out of?

see previous posts from ntl cable modem etc etc.....nothing this year...that's guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

Crawler,

last time I looked ISDN ran over a telephone line.

:) MDR , I would NEVER question your technical knowledge!

Just wondering where you got the info on ntl?

Maybe I'm just reading the post incorrectly!

• Advertisement

Here at their redesigned and still useless Website ....note the word telephone and click. Wheeeee its a UK only offering.......muppets.

Bad as NTL are , look what Chorus have allegedly admitted to doing recently and realise that there are no Public Safety issues with NTL that I know of.

M

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I'm just off the phone with some ignorant sh1t in NTL and he tells me they have absolutly no plans to upgrade anymore of Dublin for Cable Internet Access. I asked him would it ever happen and he said it might but it would be a long long time(5 - 6 years). God, I f*%&ing hate NTL.

I noted their Irish Website disappeared at around 1.45 today in a now deleted thread and they fixed it around 3.45,a genuine we've all seen it two hour repair turnaround for NTL, fcuk mí .

Mindya they may note to whats happening on Boards but as to giving a damn about their Irish customers :mad:

M

I was wondering. Someone mentioned in the other thread before it was deleted that new area were supplied with 2 way cable but only 1 way amps. Can someone please explain what this means. Is the 2 way cable Fibre?

LFCfan....

the network is a HFC network - i.e. hybrid Fibre-Coax network. Fibre is mainly used for the backbone with coax looking after the "last mile" as such.....every so often to need amplifers on the fibre and the Coax. To date most of the amps have been one way , i.e. used for tranmitting TV signals in one direction. In Dublin 24 the Amps are 2 way giving you an uplink and downlink path.....with one way amps you can only transmit signals with 2 way you can transmit and receive. For a 2 way Cable modem you ( obviously need to be able to transmit AND receive information ) hence you need 2 way amps.....this is a very simplistic view as there is more involved such as signal loss and noise etc but I hope it helps?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by crawler
    LFCfan....

the network is a HFC network - i.e. hybrid Fibre-Coax network. Fibre is mainly used for the backbone with coax looking after the "last mile" as such.....every so often to need amplifers on the fibre and the Coax. To date most of the amps have been one way , i.e. used for tranmitting TV signals in one direction. In Dublin 24 the Amps are 2 way giving you an uplink and downlink path.....with one way amps you can only transmit signals with 2 way you can transmit and receive. For a 2 way Cable modem you ( obviously need to be able to transmit AND receive information ) hence you need 2 way amps.....this is a very simplistic view as there is more involved such as signal loss and noise etc but I hope it helps?

Thanks Crawler. The chap I was talking to in NTL said that all new areas were cabled with the old Coax Cables and the areas that had been upgraded were relaid with Fibre. I take it he was talking through his arse then? If the new areas are laid with 2 way cable I take it it means a hell of a lot less cost to upgrade the Amps to 2 way as opposed to the cost of upgrading the old cable? If this is the case then why the hell won't NTL bring new estates online for Cable Internet access.

In fairness he was partly right.....most of the backhaul is now fibre....it's a long story as to what cable needs replacing etc.....Some of the oldest Co-Ax is from the old days of RTE Relays & Phoenix! Some buildings are now listed etc so it makes relacing some stuff very difficult.

Advertisement