Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

question?

Options
  • 07-11-2002 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

I am reading all the entries you guys made in the offline section.
    Great job you guys are doing trying to push forward something other countries take for granted allready...My friends in Belgium would look up strangely if i would tell him i am connected to 56K modem..and here in ireland we would look up if we would say ..'I have cable'.

Now the question was, why are the Telco's only creating connections in other parts of ireland and not in Dublin ?
    Dublin being the capitale city and all. Why do they prefer the southside and Cork and the likes ?
    I mean would it not make more sense to start with the connection in an area where there are loads of people working and living ?

(maybe you are all wondering why they do not do this and is this the point of the offline group?, to question this?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Emm - DSL is available in Dublin. I think that's what you were asking...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

I mean would it not make more sense to start with the connection in an area where there are loads of people working and living ?

Contrary to popular opinion there are in fact 'loads of people living and working' in Cork and its environs.

Perhaps the choice was made for other reasons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

heh , i didnt wanne offend the cork'ees :) and no , i didnt meant DSL , any broadband connection in my area would be great.
    the question is why they prefer places like cork above Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Wook
    heh , i didnt wanne offend the cork'ees :) and no , i didnt meant DSL , any broadband connection in my area would be great.
    the question is why they prefer places like cork above Dublin.

Perhaps because the infrastructre was already there, and Cork and Limerick I think were the beta test sites for DSL in Ireland.

DSL is available in your area, i'm pretty sure of it. Alas under Eircom so you'll be out a lot of money.

Otherwise, broadband over antenna is your only other option, and I don't think that's any good for gaming because of the latency, correct me if i'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

Government made €160 million available for broadband rollout to the regions, the regions are getting all Chorus, Esat and Eircom's attention because the Government is more or less paying for their rollouts ...

Thats why Dublin is being ignored, industry was supposed to provide for the capital under its own initative ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

i see, but would the government not see a roll-out of broadband in dublin as a 'Investment' ? You irish are really too patient sometimes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Quote from another thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67069
    Originally posted by viking
    Interesting fact: Eircon will only consider upgrading exchanges that have a capability to perform an RLT (Remote Line Test). This means that even in a town in Ireland that might have a large population and a huge interest in taking up DSL, unless the exchange is RTL capable then eircon wont even consider upgrading it to DSL.
    viking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

[rambling thought]
    I dont think it matters what town / city you are in ... there are only so many people / houses you can fit in a given area and the city exchanges usually only have a given amount of lines into them ..so an exchange in Cork is likely to have as many users as one in Dublin ..
    Then like others have posted here .. the regions got grants for getting broadband sorted and guess what !. that means that for Eircom / Esat the highest density of people with the possibility of getting a grant is Cork ... then Limerick and then smaller and smaller towns.. but even with this Dublin people have REAL competition in broadband..(wireless / cable) ... we cant get uncapped 512kbps for less than 100 euros .. you can (if, of course, you are in the right area)
    [/rambling thought]

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

It seems that Eircon, Irishbroadband and esatBT have decided to concentrate mainly on bringing broadband to the southside of Dublin. There are only a handfull of enabled exchanges on the northside but as far as i'm aware there's more people living on the northside and in the fingal area. So another question might be why are they upgrading half of the capital city, cork etc...

Advertisement