Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Problem

• 07-11-2002 1:25pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Right, here's the story.

I recently got an Athlon XP2400+ with a fan that sounds like an aircraft preparing for take off, but I can handle that .... just about.

I got a new motherboard ram and everything. I booted her up but I don't think windows 2000 liked the fact that I changed all the essential components of the computer. So I re-installed windows and everything seemed fine and dandy.

The problem is this:

I tried to install stuff off some cd's that I know had installed properly before but it had problems reading files off the CD and the installations failed. This happened for a few different CD's. So I thought, damn, CD-ROM is ****ed. Put the same CD into my dad's machine and it installed.

So I thought, Dad doesn't need his CD-ROM really. So I put that in my machine but I am having the same problem installing stuff. Whats the story ???

Slaanesh.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Cable problem? .. are all your IDE cables seated properly ... Is the cdrom on the same IDE cable as the hard disk? .. if so make sure that the hard disk is master and the cdrom is slave (jumpers) .. other than that it could possibly be a motherboard problem (even though you booted off the win 2000 cd and installed of it ... it may have happened after ..) and lastly check your bios, make sure the cdrom is atapi cdrom (er .. I think thats what it should be)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 MondaySpuds

are you running on the same cable the HD and the CD Rom

also check the Jumper settings..

I had simular problems.. but i had 2 HDs and a CD/RW and Cd rom..

that was my problem... the location on the Drive on the Cable...

also check the Bios .. and try auto detech the Drives..

but i would say .. cables or setup of drives and jumpers..

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Thanks lads I will give it a go this evening.

Slaan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,011 ✭✭✭uch

Try a different Ribbon cable on the drive as they can sometimes develop breaks in the strands, very hard to detect but easy to discount.

21/25

Advertisement