Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What The Hell Is Going On??

Options
  • 07-11-2002 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭

Why are we now being forced to fork out so many €€€€€€€ to see live gigs?? Who suddenly decided that people would just accept that they have to now pay €75 to go and see a live performance??? €75 for Bruce Spingstein in the RDS or €80 seated to go and see Nina Simone in Vicar Street?? Or over €75 for PRINCE?? IN THE POXY POINT??? Who, by the way I saw the last time round for £20 and then I thought that was a bit steep!
    Its seems that it's perfectly ok to pay €40 to €50 to see any one now...
    Moby in the Poxy Point - €36.50
    Counting Crows with Gemma Hayes - €41.50 (which I'd love to go to)
    I mean €41.50 is nearly £33 - that's not cheep!!!
    Then you get the likes of Damian Rice who I totally rate as high as all the other musicians I've mentioned so far and he plays for €18 in the Olympia - FAIR PLAY!
    Are the not so rich and the principled destined to only go to gigs that are in the Olympia and the Ambassador and other smaller venues??
    Can we never be allowed to see that bigger artists live???
    Why couldn't the venue managers just stick to ripping us off at the food and beverage stands? But now they want us to pay to be ripped off at the beverage stands??

:mad: :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Because when MCD and Ticketmaster get involved they jack up the price.
    They are total rip-offs. Also they seem to take over most of the big acts so we pay more. The smaller venues and lesser known artists they dont care about.
    Examples:
    Dj Shadow (August) The Ambassador price €31.90 (incl bk fee) Ticketmaster
    Grandmaster Flash (October) The Redbox price €16.50 [Ticketmaster again, but smaller venue and act]
    Blackalicious (tomorrow) The Redbox price €16
    Def Jux (next Saturday) The Pod price €16

It seems the venue plays a large factor in price too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

The Celtic Tiger (what's left of it at any rate) is to blame. Just convince people that they're well off and then you can convince them to pay the piper whatever they want.

I recently found a stub from saw a gig at the RDS in 1997 which cost 24.50 and I went to a gig this year at the same venue it cost me 49.50eur (39 pounds). Both bands were 'new' and 'cool' so a true comparison could probably be made.

Now If you do the maths and you get an inflation rate of 60% in just 5 years. Not even Charlie McCreevys SSIA's could keep up with that.

I argee that MCD and co are fleecing us but that's always been the case. For example I get really pissed of when I here that tickets for the Delgado's (one of my favorite bands) in Leicester next week are a megre stg8pounds! I guarentee you if MCD ever got them over here we'd be paying 30euro for tickets. I'm convinced I'm living in the wrong country. :mad:

Advertisement