Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gavin Fox To Join Idlewild?

Options
  • 07-11-2002 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭

Is this true apparently he has been asked and is considering it?????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I know idlewild sacked their bassest and that gavin is friends with them so it could be true. Idlewild have a bigger fanbase than turn and im sure it would be more financially benifical. Im a big fan of idlewild and so would like to see them replace their previous member someone good. but I woulnt want turn to break up either as their also preety good.I think if its true he will probaly go for it as turn have been going for a while and havent got the break they deserve outside Ireland but would he have the same level of creative imput if he joined Idlewild?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

well those are all valid points but i think turn seem to be just about getting there now and i honestly see them being the next big thing so who knows..............plus idlewild have a history of sacking their bassists don't they............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Dont get me wrong Turn are one of my favorite bands and I would love to see them make it as they have much more tallent then a lot of the next big thing bans hyped by the music press I was just saying that id would be understandable if he took the easy way out and joined a biger band. It must be disheartining to keep putting out great music without getting the respect you deserve.

yeah i know what u mean ah well i guess well find out soon enuff.............

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

turn are so much better than idelwild, IMO
    i really hppe this doesnt happen
    i'll be as lost as sandi is
    there will be more kleenex to be present at this gig then (not really)

• Advertisement

would it be the end of turn if he left - i personally don't think it would but then again as i said we won't know until something happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭back to front

Ther is no question about it. Gavin should take the position. Alan (ex: skindive) would more than willingly fill his boots, look and play the part dont ye think?

As for Idlewild asking Gav to do it, when the two bands were supposed to be friends? whats up there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

back to front>>> are skindive no longer or did the bass player just leave?

and it'd be sad if turn split up... they are a brilliant live band... dont think i've seen many better, they always put on a brilliant brilliant show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 The Wasp

I don't think he should join Idlewild. Turn are a better band and their time will come. It might come soon, it might take longer. Look at bands like The Frames, The Walls. I know they've both had line-up changes but some have stayed on board. Longevity is the key. It's the one thing that no one can stop - sheer determination. Besides, he was born to be in Turn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

Turn better than Idlewild?????? What??????:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

i dont know who i'd rate higher...thats a really tough one

in favour of turn, i dont think i've ever seen a better live band, they're truely awesome, and i reckon if they didnt play so often or if they were foreigners they'd be held in higher esteem generally .... thats not saying that they're not held in high esteem already

in favour of idlewild, not 1 of their 3 albums has been anything other than brilliant, love them all... their mix of slow, fast, thrashy tunes is excellent and i've always had a pleasure listening to them, but that can be said of turn to...

the only prob is i havent seen idlewild live so dunno what they're like there

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

If he did leave Turn, they simply wouldn't break up. This board is frequented by alot of people who play in bands and I think they would nearly all agree that a new bass player is easier to integrate into a band (without changing the core sound) than any other member.

in my opinion, turn are way better than idlewild, their music is much more appealing to me, so id prefer him to stay in turn :)

but im sure...ihope...it woudlnt signify the end of the band

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 butterflywings

i agree, i way prefer turn, but that's me& i might not represent the masses....
    as far as i know gav has no intention to leave, then again I havn't seen him in ages.
    he shouldn't
    twould be terrible
    turn deserve him sooooo much more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

Well I can vouch for Idlewild by saying they were completely amazing supporting Coldplay a couple of weeks ago. And Turn are a great live band granted but for me they dont really stand up well on record... I absolutely love going to their gigs and ive been to many but I couldnt listen to their full album.. and i've tried. I dont think they have the same standard of melody as Idlewild have..but thats just me... and im sure all you ardent turn fans will disagree

well lamda for me it'd be the other way, idlewilds melodies arent a patch on turn's. and i do admit that turn have some ****e songs but the greatness of their songs, and the fact that they are capable of producing such amazing songs keep me amazed.

Advertisement