Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€ircon Adsl Availability Update

Options
  • 07-11-2002 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

what about the rest of Dublin? Any ideas where the 40 exchanges EsatBT are supposed to be upgrading are? If Leap, IrishBroadband, EsatBT, €ircon and NTL were all offering broadband in Dublin there would be a dramatic decrease in the cost. Chances of this happening though = 0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

NOO!!! Salthill , Galway 's not there :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

NOO!!! The half a million people who live in North Dublin aren't there ... quel suprise ... :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Knocknatallaght and Salthill are served from the Shantalla exchange which will be ADSL enabled by €ircon only.

Its so full of sh1te that there is no room for ESAT kit.

Parts of Knocknatallaght are served from Barna (59nnnn numbers) and will not be upgraded by anybody until the second half of next year.....maybe...at the earliest... ?

M

Originally posted by MDR
    NOO!!! The half a million people who live in North Dublin aren't there ... quel suprise ... :mad:

Yes they are...just about.

"Summerhill Dublin 1 Dublin By January 2003"

Wouldnt ask a local in a pub around there what ADSL was though . He'd sell me Rat Poison :)

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Drazhar

jesus christ i cant believe that Castletroy, limerick aint there what with the national business park and the like out there (And me ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by Muck
    Yes they are...just about.

"Summerhill Dublin 1 Dublin By January 2003"

Wouldnt ask a local in a pub around there what ADSL was though . He'd sell me Rat Poison :)

M

lol, i was just thinking that :)

Wouldnt north main also serve the northside (even though it appears to be D2)

It appears from my reliable source that €ircon will announce Navan. Drogheda. and Dundalk early in the new year but not Letterkenny or Cavan.

Eircom may announce Monaghan to gain a foothold in Ulster but it is tokenistic at best. They will also announce Waterford and maybe Clonmel first half 2003 Both are served by ESAT anyway so who cares..

That will be IT until summer 2003, no more Eircom installations.

The largest Irish Town NOT on the current €ircon list OR the ESAT list Moriarity published is Dundalk.

Dundalk people are the ones who elect the Minister of Wires and Fishes. I think he may not be pleased that Santa is flying past this year and not depositing Comms and Fish goodies in the North East of the state.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by LFCFan
    If Leap, IrishBroadband, EsatBT, €ircon and NTL were all offering broadband in Dublin there would be a dramatic decrease in the cost

some ppl have a go at me when they say dublin has enough, spread the wealth.... FFS, I'm in north dublin (dublin5).
    Leap = No coverage here
    IB = To far away from 3rock
    EsatBT = 5km away from exchange, no dsl
    Eircom = 5km away from exchange, no dsl
    NTL = South Dublin only

*me on isdn

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

It's all very well upgrading all these exchanges, but it won't make much difference unless they lower the price and remove/increase the cap (or continue not to enforce it). Until they do, takeup will stay at a pathetic level and they'll just be wasting their own money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭molinaalexis

It is County Longford near Las Canarias or in The muddle of Ireland
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭OHP

LOL! Well whaddya know! Got a call from Eircon today and they confirmed what I overheard in a pub a while ago. ADSL will be available by x-mas and at a cost im sure every buisness will love NOT! Not a day goes by that I dont try to think about ways to try get away from Eircon's grip. They are by far the most selfish (rant rant rant rant) of (more rant rant rant and B's) I have ever came across. Yes we will bring out ADSL / Broadband BUT! Can you afford a new Mortgage on your house that goes with it?
    When will Eircon learn? :(

OHP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by Dustaz
    Wouldnt north main also serve the northside (even though it appears to be D2)

Spot on, Dustaz - it certainly includes parts of Dorest Street, in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

The lack of northside support is quietly peeving me off.

The fact that nobody is apparently working to upgrade the terrible quality of lines is really beginning to infuriate me.

So I'll have a choice of 100 dsl products someday - but no line to run them off.

Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Originally posted by PiE
    It's all very well upgrading all these exchanges, but it won't make much difference unless they lower the price and remove/increase the cap (or continue not to enforce it). Until they do, takeup will stay at a pathetic level and they'll just be wasting their own money.
    Originally posted by Muck
    Portlaoise Portlaoise Town Laois By January 2003

My God! DSL in Portlaoise! :eek: I thought I'd be long dead and buried before I'd ever see that happening. Though I think Esat's Jan. '03 date sounds a bit optimistic. I reckon it would be more like June '03 at the earliest before we'd see it here in Portlaoise.

Still though, as PiE says, unless the price for DSL falls dramatically and there's no/more reasonable caps than at present the take-up in Portlaoise and most areas will be very low and slow. DSL in Portlaoise? Yes please, I'd like some of that but not at the current price! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

From ADSL.ie -> http://mmm.eircom.ie/mouse/demos_a.htm

They're still claiming that a 56k modem can download at 56k/s, ISDN can download at 64-128k/s and DSL can do 512k/s. Didn't someone here complain aboot that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

Eh Noel

Think again about Tommy Broughan - the only North Dublin based communications spokesperson in the Dail - this has to be a big issue from his point of view.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 J@ck Chri5tie

Anyone hear those ads on the radio again offering istream for a fixed monthly rate? Thought they had pull them before?

JC

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Knocknatallaght and Salthill are served from the Shantalla exchange which will be ADSL enabled by €ircon only.

I've been reliably informed that the Shantalla exchange is indeed full with Eircom gear. The problem with that is that all the gear they have there is allegedly redundant, gathering dust and generally kept as a stalling tactic to keep everyone else away from Galway's largest residential exchange...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Originally posted by NoelRock
    The lack of northside support is quietly peeving me off.

The fact that nobody is apparently working to upgrade the terrible quality of lines is really beginning to infuriate me.

So I'll have a choice of 100 dsl products someday - but no line to run them off.

Brilliant.

You would think that they would give the northside a little more attention given that 5.5% of the entire population live in the Co.Dublin area alone ie. Fingal (excluding Coolock/santry into the city centre) thats well over 210,000 people(2001) . The only exchanges i'm aware of that have been ADSL enabled in this area are Swords, Sutton and possibly Blanchardstown.... I mean why sutton? Howth and killbarack both have much higher populations and are right next door.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by LoGiE
    You would think that they would give the northside a little more attention given that 5.5% of the entire population live in the Co.Dublin area alone ie. Fingal (excluding Coolock/santry into the city centre) thats well over 210,000 people(2001) . The only exchanges i'm aware of that have been ADSL enabled in this area are Swords, Sutton and possibly Blanchardstown.... I mean why sutton? Howth and killbarack both have much higher populations and are right next door.

It looks like €ircon are under the impression that all Northsiders are uneducated, non internet users(what's the internet?) morons who have no idea what broadband is. Just another thing to hate them for.

Dublin 5

Population 86,000 people ...
    Within around a 5 km radius.

http://www.fiannafail.ie/constituency_116.htm

No danger of broadband here ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Son of Blam

Originally posted by MDR
    Dublin 5

Population 86,000 people ...
    Within around a 5 km radius.

No danger of broadband here ...

Where about in Dublin 5 are you? I lived in Dublin 5, Whitethorn in Beaumont to be exact and I was on the last Eircom DSL trial. My local exchange was the Coolock exchange which is DSL enabled.

I've now moved to Drumcondra (Dublin 9). I'm living just off Grace Park Road and I'm connected to the Whitehall exchange. It was n't upgraded during the last trial but I phoned up DSL sales a few days ago (1800 503 303) and asked them about Whitehall and they said it was now DSL enabled. I then got my phone line checked and it passed.

Sorry I know I have Eircom DSL,

its cheapo Esat DSL that I want ... :D

Edit : Sorry I am in Beaumont.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭LizardKing

I'm in Raheny area of D5 and they told me I could not get them ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Nice one Son Of Blam... just check with DSL sales could not get thru on your number, and my line passed, Drumcondra - off Botanic Avenue - Whitehall exchange.

Funny because the line used to be very poor for modem use, connects at 14.4 etc.... so i got isdn - the original broadband ... hohoho....

anyhow... now need to persuade the lady of the house that dsl is something that we really need....

Vex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Muck, sorry if this has been asked before, but is there an actual list of exchanges dsl enabled by €ircon ?

They say there are 36 of them in dublin, could not find it on their website.

Anyway, i guess dubliners will have to migrate elsewhere to get a bit of affordable dsl ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Originally posted by LFCFan
    It looks like €ircon are under the impression that all Northsiders are uneducated, non internet users(what's the internet?) morons who have no idea what broadband is.

Is this not the case then?

:D

Joke from a Southsider (Limerick 2 b exact).

Can't believe Castletroy isn't on their list :confused: , what with UL, Technological park, big population etc.

Southside and Centre Good
    Northside and West Bad

A postcode is a helpful hint to the regulars in here.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

I'm in north dublin, Raheny Dublin 5, 200 meters away from kilbarrack dart-station. My exchange is belcamp and is upgraded, but my line(s) are 5.2km long.... that must mean there are a few thousand people around here with crap lines .... no dsl .. hmm what else can i look forward to? chorus,no ntl,no leap.. possibly irishbroadband,no ..... emigration time

Advertisement