Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up a mixed lan (wireless and CAT5)

Options
  • 07-11-2002 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

Hey all

anyone know of a device I can hook into a switch (RJ45) that can let me hook my laptop with with a wireless nic?

Ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Ronin

You'll be wanting a base station/access point to connect to the switch.

I've an aironet 350 and it works nicely.

Ro

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Sweet, paul could you give me what nic card you have too? (wireless noob here) Just think it would be handy to have in the house. How many PC's can that base station handel?

Ahh.... there cisco, where did you get them from and how much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Also 3Com, D-Link, Netgear and even Belkin

From memory the cheapest Wireless Access Points are about €200+ and the cards are €100+ . Should be available from all the usual suspects and european vendors. Try and get same card & WAP manufacturer if possible.

aye, I was looking at marx computers and they have a base station for €175 and a wireless PCMICRA card for €85. But the Cisco stuff always is good. so I'd like to go for it. so Paul I'll be talking to you on IRC.... Gerrrrrr baby

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

The Cisco kit is good but vastly over priced you will get the same functionality out of cheaper kit...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Orinoco products are much better as 3COM and will work with a mixed batch of wireless products.
    rebadged Orinoco products can also be had for a lot less than 3COM hardware.
    I have a few PCMCIA cards for €55....

E.

Advertisement