Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know OS/390 at all?

• 07-11-2002 7:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭

I have a question about OS/390 I need answered. Anyone know anything about it?

Basically, I have a system which is running at 100% processor. The OS/390 admins tell me that while they can identify what threads are taking the processor, they cannot link those threads back to applications.

In other words - they are claiming that OS/390 cannot tell me what applications or processes are causing the performance bottleneck.

Unix can do this with ps -aux
    Windows can do this with shift-control-escape
    VMS can do this, but I've forgotten the command cause I havent played with VMS in almost 8 years.

I cannot believe OS/390 cannot do this.

Anyone able to help?

jc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I use an s/390 server in work, the thing you have to remember is that the s/390 is a hole different beast than something running a windows desktop. while it can show you that the programs have gone critical, or the tasks and so on. I haven't seen it show each sessions usage like OS/400 can. You also have to remember that from what I remember of working in IBM. The S/390 is an old machine. The AS/400 is old to, but has had a lot of updates to it. But if your Admins tell you that they are looking into it, more than likely they are running around like headless chickens to try find whats wrong with it ( I used to when I was a AS/400 Admin) The best thing you can do is bare with it and stop pestering your admins and let them do their work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 MondaySpuds

Give me some more Details and i will try get that ans for you...
    I have did a little work this summer. on Z/vm OS/390 and linux mainframes... and i met a few Guys that if you give me more details i may be able to help

emmm...... I dont think he can really do anything. from his post he only seams to be *using* the system. not admin/operating it... could be a PBKAC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Originally posted by bonkey
    VMS can do this, but I've forgotten the command cause I havent played with VMS in almost 8 years.

OT I know but wasn't it something like:

monitor processes/topcpu

I haven't used VMS for over 10 years but it was the first serious OS I was ever exposed to.

K

just a note or two on this hole thing

How many users use the s/390? more than likely it was just a lot of users running reports on the system at the same time. If that was the case then you have to just bare with the system while it processes everything.

You shouldn't ask people you dont know/ have no idea of their experance on s/390's for commands to run on the Midframe system!!!! for all you know they could give you a command to start an IPL... or worse

let me just say one more thing... WORST TREAD EVER!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by sutty
    How many users use the s/390? more than likely it was just a lot of users running reports on the system at the same time. If that was the case then you have to just bare with the system while it processes everything.

No. The problem is that our development system is grinding to a halt. We know this is happening because the CPU is constantly running at 100%. We want to know what is taking the processor time so we can recode the bottleneck area.

Our sysadmins are telling us that they *cannot* tell us what is causing the problem - whether it is the DB2 subsystem, the Application Server, the Web Server subsystem, or what. While no-one else here knows enough about OS390 to tell them theyre wrong, its also true that no-one here actually believes what they are saying. I'm trying to get what is commonly called a second opinion - preferably from someone who has no connection to this project.

You shouldn't ask people you dont know/ have no idea of their experance on s/390's for commands to run on the Midframe system!!!! for all you know they could give you a command to start an IPL... or worse

What sort of an idiot do you take me for. I want to know if its possible to do what these guys are saying cannot be done. If someone tells me that, and how it is done, I can tell these guys to LOOK UP HOW TO USE THE RELEVANT COMMANDS.

let me just say one more thing... WORST TREAD EVER!!!
    WEll why do you insist on posting to it then?

jc

To all of the above.... ROFL
    No. The problem is that our development system is grinding to a halt. We know this is happening because the CPU is constantly running at 100%. We want to know what is taking the processor time so we can recode the bottleneck area.

Our sysadmins are telling us that they *cannot* tell us what is causing the problem - whether it is the DB2 subsystem, the Application Server, the Web Server subsystem, or what. While no-one else here knows enough about OS390 to tell them theyre wrong, its also true that no-one here actually believes what they are saying. I'm trying to get what is commonly called a second opinion - preferably from someone who has no connection to this project.

ok fist things first. Your admins wont take the advoice of some person off the internet. So you do programing on the server? and you have no experance on the s/390 = bad. You want to tell the people that run the server everyday, and have experace on the server that they are wrong.. sounds like cross department gruge to me. You want someone that has no idea about the setup of your system to help you fix your bottleneck... well that speaks for its self really doesn't.
    What sort of an idiot do you take me for. I want to know if its possible to do what these guys are saying cannot be done. If someone tells me that, and how it is done, I can tell these guys to LOOK UP HOW TO USE THE RELEVANT COMMANDS.

again it looks to be a PBKAC
    WEll why do you insist on posting to it then?

Someone has to smack you back into this little thing we call reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by sutty
    ok fist things first. Your admins wont take the advoice of some person off the internet. So you do programing on the server? and you have no experance on the s/390 = bad. You want to tell the people that run the server everyday, and have experace on the server that they are wrong.

Sutty...if someone can tell me they are right (ideally explaining why it cannot be done on OS390), then I have my second opinion, and I am happy to leave it at that.

If, on the other hand, someone can tell me that they are wrong, then I can ask them if they have checked the suggestion that are given to me. If they say yes, Im happy. If they say "no, we didnt think of that or know about that". then they have something new to check.
    You want someone that has no idea about the setup of your system to help you fix your bottleneck... well that speaks for its self really doesn't.

No, I want someone to tell me whether or not it sounds like my admins are correct. Like I said - a second opinion.

In the 10+ years Ive been working in large companies, it is my experience that the vast majority of people (myself included) have large gaps in their knowledge. It is also my experience that many of them are inclined to say "it cant be done" when what they mean is "I dont know if it can be done" or "I cant find out if/how it can be done".

You dont want to help, then thats fine, but I have no interest in getting into some flame war with you because of some offence you happen to have taken with my question.

jc

Advertisement