Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 2000 profiles

Options
  • 07-11-2002 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭

Im setting about creating a few profiles for Windows 2000 users... I havent done this in absolutely ages so I'm a little confused. I want to create a profile that is read-only, or in other words any changes that the user has made (screen savers, desktop icons, files saved locally, wallpapaer etc) will be wiped once the user logs off. If I remember correctly this is called a mandatory profile... and seeing as this profile will be stored on a domain controller it would be a mandatory roaming profile.

I could spend a few days farting about with trial & error or just ask the good people of boards :D If anyone knows of a website or websites that could help me or can provide any advice please let me know.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

TechNet and NTFAQ are both quite good for this. IIRC you just need to set the extension for ntuser.dat to .man. Then again I may be thinking of NT4. (sound of feet running away to check)

(sound of feet running back)Yes that works on 2000 as well. Here's the article that details the process

Technet article

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

yeah did a bit of looking around and .dat to .man seems to do the trick nicely... thanks for the links too btw. Gotta look into creating a few logon scripts now

(just noticed I put this thread on the wrong board :()

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

I you're using a domain controller (you mention login scripts) it'd be a much better idea to implement a system policy [ntconfig.pol] (it's a more dynamic process).

If you need any .adm files for policy editor (including some funky ones I wrote myself for hiding certain drives) just give me a shout.

3 years of MS network installations in schools and colleges has left me with a few security tips & tricks.

There's another trick you can do with a 'dummy' roaming profile that stops the machine caching any and all local profile information......

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MarVeL

You can also prevent roaming profile caching locally with a quick tweak in the registry. This link goes through the process

http://www.windows2000faq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=15393

Advertisement