Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to setup email with vodafone gprs?

Options
  • 07-11-2002 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Just got my GPRS phone and I have a gprs (WAP) connection working ok. However I can't seem to get the POP mail to connect to any ISP. I am registered with Emerge/my vodafone but that doesn't work either. THe Vodafone site is a little light on details of how to configure email.

Can anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

hi - are you a Vodafone monthly bill pay customer or Ready To Go?

p.s. what type of phone have you got and what will you be recieving the e-mials on (the Phone, PDA, Laptop)?

Brian G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 kevinof

Its Pay monthly account.

Device is a Sony Ericsson P800 - I can now get emails to/from Eircom but not the Vodafone account. Anyone know the server names?

ok - you got your isp.vodafone.ie settings up and running to use the email client so

for Vodafone's email servive the settings are:

POP server: pop.vodafone.ie
    IMAP server: imap.vodafone.ie
    SMTP server: mail.vodafone.ie

having said that - i just migrated over the account from @e-merge.ie to @vodafone.ie when checking via web the vodafone.ie website

tried it just now in the e-mail client and my username and password aren't being accepted, using the old e-merge.ie servers and username I can still get in though

update
    the external (email client) login now works - seems to take a little while to refresh over to the new @vodafone.ie account

username is the full email address: whatever@vodafone.ie
    password is your: "My Vodafone" login password

Brian G

Many thanks for that information. Its now working over gprs.

I guess the only thing I have left to fix is the requirement for two internet connection entires. One for email and ther other for wap. This is because the wap connection seems to require the server to be wap.vodafone.ie and the email needs isp.vodafone.ie and neither will work with the other connection.

Not a big problem and something I can live with.
    thanks -kevin

no worries kevinof,

the wap.vodafone.ie can only get you back WAP content accessable through the Vodafone.ie WAP Gateway

isp.vodafone.ie will get you web content for browsing regular (www) web sites, instant messaging (via PDA or Laptop, should be a client available for the P800 after launch), streaming (not a great idea on GPRS as it costs a packet!) and full pop / imap email access etc.

the P800 browser can view Web and WAP content in the same browser so you can enjoy more content than just WAP

if you are paying for GPRS yourself be aware of their (pretty expensive) charges, if you plan on using it a lot and haven't set up a GPRS package ask about one (GPRS 1 for Consumer, GPRS 5 for Sharetime and others for Business customers)

You should also be able to use HSCSD (up 28.8k on the P800) as a Dial-Up , you need than enabled on your Vodafone account too

you might get some helpful links in this thread with some links to mobile content:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55954

when the P800 is launched expect to see a lot of 3rd party applications appear for it on sites like Handango.com and My-Symbian.com (the number for the 7650 is being added to almost daily since it's launch) - also esato.com is one of the best (Sony)Ericsson user sites out there so as the units begin to ship they should have some good info in their forums

HTH,
    Biran G

• Advertisement

The rate I was given was 2 cents per K but I'm not paying the bill so its not really an issue. Also my time on GPRS will not be that great - mainly for checking email and such.

Also thanks for the notes on the browser on the 800 - I don't have any docs on the handset so I'm basically finding things out as I go along. Its a nice unit though - good size, good apps, very polished.

thanks

Originally posted by kevinof
    I don't have any docs on the handset so I'm basically finding things out as I go along.

hi kevin, these should help you out a bit document wise for the P800:

P800 White-Paper (Oct 2002)

Preliminary Handbook Part 1 (for FCC submission)

Preliminary Handbook Part 2 (for FCC submission)

source http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/p800.php

HTH,
    Brian G

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

any one having problems using this mail?
    i'm trying to get it to work on my t68i
    but its having "issues"

it keeps giving me "wrong username and password"

[ot]
    hscsd is charged as duel calls - right?

Originally posted by MiCr0
    any one having problems using this mail?
    i'm trying to get it to work on my t68i
    but its having "issues"

it keeps giving me "wrong username and password"

got it working grand here

it took a few hours to allow POP access with the new email address after migrating the old @e-merge.ie address over to the new @vodafone.ie

the only problem with accessing e-mail on the T68i is with it resolving any mail servers - I've ended up having to use the mail server's IP addresses for any account I've set-up

pop.vodafone.ie: 213.233.128.68
    mail.vodafone.ie: 213.233.128.65
    username: emailaddress@vodafone.ie
    password: My Vodafone password

HSCSD calls are charged at the usual rate for the number dialled (no double charges)

I'm using the e-merge Mobile ISP so it's an 087 to 087 call and can be put off against my inclusive minutes off-peak

HTH,
    Brian G

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

there has been problems apparently with the switch over from e-merge.ie to vodafone.ie with e-merge ISP passwords, ring 1850287000 to get it sorted.

Originally posted by sirlinux
    there has been problems apparently with the switch over from e-merge.ie to vodafone.ie with e-merge ISP passwords, ring 1850287000 to get it sorted.

yeah I got that too - had to keep the old @e-merge.ie address for the Mobile ISP username in order to log into the Mobile ISP - trying with the new @vodafone.ie email address didn't work

i'm leaving a few days to call Voda about anything - spent enough time with them on the phone/blasted with on-hold music over billing errors and trying to set up MMS to last me a bit :(

Brian G

Originally posted by DubWireless

HSCSD calls are charged at the usual rate for the number dialled (no double charges)

is there a monthly fee for hscsd?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

nope no monthly charge for it, it's the business especially with a 6310 or 6210, you just have to ring data support to get it turned on 1850287000.

all i can say is
    Best Support Staff Ever!

Advertisement