Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus a twitching corpes

Options
  • 07-11-2002 10:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

Had a m8 i havent seen for awhile come in today his job is to install sky digital he used to work for Chore-us and he was saying hes so busy changing people over from Chore-us to sky he hardly has time for a tea break :D.I said it before ill say it again Chore-us could still make money if theY used their wireless network for net access cuz they dont stand a chance in the a tv war with SKY.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DC

Nearly 2 years ago a sales guy in Chorus was trying to sell us Powernet. We were dead keen, but it never materialised (in Cork anyway).

They ended up screwing us for dial up internet (we had chorus phone lines over cable), charging full peak rates despite the fact we were dialing 1891. They apparently didn't even have a 1891 tariff on their system :rolleyes:

Plain and simple - they are a joke and even if they did have wireless, I wouldn't go near them.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Friend of mine wanted to get chorus cable installed (his folks wanted UTV/C4). Chorus guy called last Saturday to install it. He told my friend that the signal was too weak and that he doesn't recommend installing it.

Here's the kicker.... the chorus guy told him that Sky Digital is much better, and that when (not if) Sky get UTV and C4, it would be a nail in the coffin for Chorus.

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭pertinax

Great well if chorus gos tits up my cable is gone.
    Really great.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Originally posted by pertinax
    Great well if chorus gos tits up my cable is gone.
    Really great.

Oh I wouldn't worry to much...Think of the cyrstal clear pictures and sound and all the extra channels you'll be getting with Sky, you'll never look back. I've read somewhere that sky are joining up with BT to provide an internet service in the UK so there's the possibility it will eventually arrive in Ireland.

I'll believe that when they genetically engineer a bull to grow tits and win the miss world contest.

I'm not cynical i'm really not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Core-us are the biggest waste of space i have ever come across, they are even worse than eircon :eek: and thats saying something .. if you are on the analogue service (and most people are, in Cork anyway) you get brutal picture quality, mono sound and 15 channels (including the subscription ones) .. if you were getting all the channels then it would cost most of the price of a SKY subscription ... their customer disservice are non existent as well .. and they have been telling lies to their customers for years .. as mentioned above they said there would be wireless broadband, they were telling me that as long as 2 1/2 years ago .. and a year before that they were telling me that I'd get broadband over cable (as always this "will happen in the next few months")
    The only bad thing is that they will be alive and kicking (kicking their customers anyways) for a long time yet I reckon...

I hope they stick around because their cable internet is great but their television is abysmal. My television is full of cnbncnbnc news , bbc news 24, (Mishal Your worth it though), pie sky news, and CrpNN. Oh what fun on a basic service. I curently have sky sports 1 and 2 and sky premier but didnt pay for them. They've been testing them on my line for 2 and a half years every 2 weeks on and off that is. I get Kildoran-ballymuckridge Local Fm with paddy o'keefe reciting the old irish alphabet 24 hours a day but cant get a lear get a clear picture on bbc2 after 9pm.

Your cable internet is great chorus but your tv service was always dirge and always will be i fear.
    Prove me wrong please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

jesus, are they still there...i suppose they still put on the handycam gaelic match when they loose discovery...well they were doing that in wicklow anyway.

i hate to say it but i got sky (however big a muppet murdock is) and it is pretty good. to all the people looking for utv and c4 -- i think i have utv and to be honest i have such choice i rarely watch them now anyway...if i want a documentary i go to 15 documentaty channels and choose....

no web tho...but then againt niether do chore-us

they are muppet cntral,,,as i said before -- people who were fired for incompetence from eircon were hired there...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

In fairness to Chorus,
    they are one of the few companies offering affordable broadband.
    Although only if you live Clonmel, Thurles and Kilkenny.

I therefore won't judge them too harshly, and as for sky, last I looked they didn't have an internet service and I very much doubt they are interested in offering anything in that respect in Ireland.
    I don't trust Murdock as far as I could throw, I put him in the same boat as NTL, only interested in Ireland insofar as what he can get out of Ireland or Eire (as they love to call us on SKY).

edit : Although I did hear they are expanding to Cork quite soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Chorus are in severe cashflow difficulties. I wqould not advise anybody to pay them a years subscription where 3 months will do.

Their 2 shareholders are bickering, Liberty is in no hurry to 'take' them over completely and are waiting for Independent News to completely write off all their shares rather than simply deconsolidate them as they did earlier this year. Liberty can then get them for what they are really worth.....which is nothing. Don't think that Liberty haven't got their beady little eyes on NTL Ireland as well.....on an earnout basis where they pay over time according to the profit.

Liberty, formerly known as TCI , have just had a rights issue as you can see Here and have plenty of cash along with no mad urge to spend it. They can afford to wait. INM will be cleaning up its books in around March so I expect the Chorus endgame around Feb/March 2003 . Liberty will either take them over in full thenor else they will walk away.

Chorus may have some 'fibre ring' funds from Dept Comms/NDP but I doubt if they were ever given any of the funds the regulator specifically spoke about a year ago when she came down to Plamás the wesht in this amusing (with the benefit of hindsight) Speech in which she said of Chorus in Sept 2001 .......

"One of the other broadband FWA licensees is Chorus who applied for and were awarded £17.1 million from the Government’s national development plan to provide FWA services to the regions, in particular the BMW region including towns Castlebar, Ballina, Sligo, Donegal, Letterkenny and Buncrana. Chorus have started offering their services in parts of the country and are working on the roll out of their network."

One year later in Sept 2002 she took the FWA licence off them for not using it at all. I trust the government didn't give them the £17.1 Million either because if they did its gone :)

M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by Muck

"One of the other broadband FWA licensees is Chorus who applied for and were awarded £17.1 million from the Government’s national development plan to provide FWA services to the regions, in particular the BMW region including towns Castlebar, Ballina, Sligo, Donegal, Letterkenny and Buncrana. Chorus have started offering their services in parts of the country and are working on the roll out of their network."

One year later in Sept 2002 she took the FWA licence off them for not using it at all. I trust the government didn't give them the £17.1 Million either because if they did its gone :)

How does one go about enquiring whether they got this money or not ? If they did not get the money where is it now ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Tommy Larkin in the Comptroller and Auditor Generals Office is the man.

Tommy audits the Dept of Communications and is responsible for making sure that the likes of Chorus spend grant money properly as per the grant submission, otherwise he can have the directors struck off for fraud if they shove the money into their day to day budgets.

Tommy is not too happy about the usage of the Government money for some fibre rings like Donegal and the Western Digital Corridor which represent a hole in the ground on which the government spent €12 or so for NO return

1890 661010 is the Dept of Finance

Ask For the Comptroller and Auditor Generals office and then ask for Tommy Larkin

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

If SKY get a monopoly..........

Every time I get a letter form SKY it's either a poxy mag or a rate increase....the ODTR can not regulate SKY here (yet).

Dont get me wrong , great service , product etc....but not at ANY price.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by crawler
    Dont get me wrong , great service , product etc....but not at ANY price.
    Including their total refusal to introduce Sky Digital Plus here yet, despite there being no technical reason not to? That pisses me off greatly.

Advertisement