Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

little emergency type thing

• 08-11-2002 2:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭

ok my pc crashed today, and one of my harddrives started clicking when i rebooted. i disconnected that drive and everything was cool, the old harddrive worked fine, so i reconnected the one that was clicking (lets call it 1) as slave thinkin itd work...

alas when 1 is connected even as slave, for some reason the system picks up neither harddrive. its not THAT bad just yet,coz i have all my software on here, but my entire last weeks college work was on the other drive, and i just wanna know if theres any way of salvaging it?

from the sounds of things tho id say 1 is compeltely buggered tho, any ideas or is it back to the shop for it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Originally posted by Helix
    i disconnected that drive and everything was cool, the old harddrive worked fine,

Right.. you disconnected the noisy hard drive and everything was fine...
    so i reconnected the one that was clicking (lets call it 1) as slave thinkin itd work... alas when 1 is connected even as slave, for some reason the system picks up neither harddrive.

Then you changed the jumper config and re-connected it and it wont boot.

.. Sounds logical to me. Leave it jumpered the way it was originally, and plug it in. Should detect something then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

nope when its connected in any way shape or form, no matter master slave or otherwise, the system detects no harddrives at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Try putting it on the other IDE cable with your CDRom ... also, some mobo's demand that master drives are at the end of the ide cable ...
    But it does sound like your drive is toast...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Originally posted by BigEejit
    Try putting it on the other IDE cable with your CDRom ... also, some mobo's demand that master drives are at the end of the ide cable ...
    But it does sound like your drive is toast...

Rather than that.....take off whatever you have on your second IDE port and only connect the dodgy hard drive to that as master.
    See if you can boot in any way shape or form. If you cant when it is like that, your hard drive is most certainly buggered.

right, the drives buggered then so! lol! it wont boot on its own as a master, and when theyre connected as master and slave neither drive will work unless i reset my system bios to my saved default config.

i only bought the drive 3 weeks ago like, so i can bring it back if its completely fuggered, just want to make sure tehres absolutely noway the data can be retrived or i can get it workin again before i do that... never one to quit too early me lol.

the fact that the harddrive almost ticks when i boot the machine perhaps suggests to me that it could be a power issue,or that in fact, its completely arsred.ive cnnected it with basically every cable in the machine tho lol and still no joy

so, yis reckon its time to brting her back and kiss all me mp3s goodbye?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Sounds like a dodgy drive alright. You have connected them both as masters on their own IDE cables? Make sure you still boot of your working drive and see if you can see the other drive in the bios.

broght it back tothe supplier today and the guy told me its dead as a dodo... which puzzled him somewhat coz hes never seen that happen to a maxtor before
    got a replacement tho so its all gravy

Advertisement