Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Problem with my car ?

Options
  • 08-11-2002 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

I have a 1.4 01 golf. I got the car serviced about 3 months ago and since then my revs keep bouncing up and down. It is causing my car to conk out on occasions too ? Anyone have any ideas ?

BTW I took it back to the guy who serviced it but hes in hospital having a heart bypass operation.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Sounds like an air flow sensor or throttle potentiometer(Both located on the big pipe coming from the air filter box or on the inlet manifold).Basically what it does is measure the flow of air into the injectors and adjust air/fuel ratio.
    Id say Im about 90% sure that thats youre problem especially when its cutting out--usually at lights or when you stop????
    The only way of being sure is to get it diagnosed in a VW dealer.
    I wouldnt go buying the part though cos its probably anwhere between 250- 350 euros.If it is the problem see if the part has a name of the manufacturer on it or a part number.If it says Bosch/Lucas you can usually buy the part a lot cheaper direct from them.
    If it has a part number on it ring a Seat daeler because the part should be the same as a 1.4 cordoba and usually Seat are cheaper than a VW dealer for the same part.
    Richie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

Could also be the spark plugs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Hellrazer - yeah it cuts out coming up to lights... generally when slowing down.

There is 33K on the clock and the plugs havn't been changed yet.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Originally posted by ondafly
    Could also be the spark plugs ?

It could well be.
    But usually if its plugs it will run fine albeit very rough but it generally wont cut out.A car can run fine on 3 cylinders but it will miss on the other one.Sometimes it will backfire.
    Could be a distributor cap/rotor arm if the car has one.
    Most of the newer cars nowadays dont!As I said a trip to a main dealer is the on the cards.
    Richie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭the evil belly

i'd have to agree with hellrazer, go to a main dealer and they'll plug a computer diagnostic unit into the car and know exactly whats wrong with it. had to have it done when the car died one day. turns out a fuel injection sensor had blown so the engine died. they were ****ing fast too. only took em a half hour to replace

• Advertisement

Daveg Ive just checked with a friend in a VW garage and he reckons the throttle housing is blocked.Its located under the airfilter(Round metal thing about 2 inches in diameter with a pipe either end of it) and says it will probably be full of gunk and sh*t.Clean it out or drive the car hard ie. keep it in second while doing 60mph for a long drive and it should clear it out.You probably do a lot of city driving and the car doesnt get a good run?????
    Or else its the coolant temperature swith.A small brass switch located on the engine,green in colour with a wire going onto it.Pull the wire off and it should stop it acting up.Then buy a new one.

Hellrazor and all thanks for the advice. I've booked it in for a check in a VW dealer on Tuesday.
    keep it in second while doing 60mph for a long drive and it should clear it out

I'll try that over the weekend.
    You probably do a lot of city driving and the car doesnt get a good run?????

No... I live 11 miles outside Galway so she gets a good run everyday.

Dave just let us know what they said the prob was!!!

Daveg Ive just checked with a friend in a VW garage and he reckons the throttle housing is blocked

Spot on Hellrazor. I took the car into the main dealer. Turns out the ERT valve and a few others were filthy. They also had to rematch all the control units :confused:

Anyway it took them 4 hours to find and fix it :( (diagnostic machine didn't pick it up). It cast me €100 and they didnt change any part.

F*cked again by the main dealers. When I bought the car I took it back to the garage (Western Motors in Galway) for it's first servive. Cost £120. When I came out to the car there was a duster and an air freshener left on the passanger seat. Nice touch I thought. Checked my bill - they had charged me for the air freshner and duster :rolleyes: cvnts.

No probs Dave.
    At least they didnt rob you.€100 is not too bad for 4 hours work.The going rate is €55-70 per hour.
    Now what you do is buy a bottle of a stuff called Redex fuel line cleaner and put it in your fuel tank once every 3 or 4 fills and this wont happen again.Basically what it does is clean everything as it runs through the engine.Its about €10 a bottle but since you only use a quarter of a bottle per fill you should get about a year from a bottle.
    Richie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

@Daveg

If you want to go to a very good VAG garage try Fahy's Garage in Oranmore. There is a guy in there that knows more about VW/Audi group cars than most of the ppl in western motors.

kayos

Hellrazer/Richie

If I ever meet you I owe you a pint. I'll def try the redex stuff. I felt I was fvcked up the ass yesterday but I suppose your right. What did you think about my service story :rolleyes:

kayos

Thanks for that. I'll check him out for my next service. Will he give me a discount if I mention Boards.ie ;)

Advertisement