Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Press re Phantom

Options
  • 08-11-2002 10:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Anyone read the Hot Press article regarding the Phantom Album, including interviews with radio station execs?

It is extremely rare that I get riled by something like this, but for FUKC's sake! Broadcast kingpins tut-tutting about artists associating with Phantom, like some elderly headmaster chastising the detention class.... yadda, yadda, you are all very bold indeed! I will have to seriously consider playing you on my shiney, established radio station in the future.

Oh no sir, please sir! You were always so kind and supportive to fledgling Irish talent in the past.

Pure corporate nonsense.

Arch

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 musicman

Here here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Bllleeaaahhhhhhh and bile that's all I can say

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I am puzzled at HotPress' enduring popularity, I find it shíte to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

most ppl look on it as the only music mag so therefore go buy it...

if there was more competition i doubt it would hold its own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 IrishUnsinged

Originally posted by Bateman
    I am puzzled at HotPress' enduring popularity, I find it shíte to be honest.

HotPress is still seen outside the Caapital as - for some reason - the definitive voice of the Irish music scene. People in the country are more 'loyal'(?) to their past heroes (whether politics, sport or anything else) and HotPress *was* very relevant at one time (when I was growing up in the 80's, basically). Also, what alternatives are there, really, outside Dublin so how do they know any better?

On top of that, HotPress has become part of the 'industry' in a corporate way so the industry feeds it what it needs (ie big names and advertising). Personally, I was much more annoyed to see Westlife on it a while back than to see them allowing the industry to slag off phantom (which is, at least, something we expect).

Someone (senior in HotPress) once said - in my presence - that phantom sounds like an Amateur radio station. It was kinda nice to see him stop yapping when I pointed out that - by Law - it *is* an amateur radio station since they can't get paid or they would be somehow profiting from the station breakin ghte Law and then every presenter would be a criminal. Not 100% sure if it was true, but the smiles around the table were worth the chance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Pearl

Further on in Hot Press there's quite a positive mention of the compilation.

I think music journalists should retire at a certain age (when obviously cynicism sets in). Remember a few months back Jim Carroll slated Wonky in the Storehouse in the Irish Times magazine The Ticket.

Stewart Clarke is entitled to his opinion, but it's obvious a fair amount of work went into producing a very negative piece of work, and I know it wasn't written in an hour. My only response is to urge Phantom supporters to express their feelings directly to the journalist, c/o Hot Press, Trinity St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 smithy

The debate is continuing on hotpress message board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

This thread once again highlights how the "economics" can interfere with the ethos ...the sell out theory I kinda touched on in an earlier topic....hotpress at its inception was not meant to be a media whore , rather an entity that would be part fo the music/popculture scene....well thats what I thought.....

be warned "he who pays the piper" ....its insulting to see westlife in the rag that is supposed to represent Irish music. I guess this appeals to the I support irish music by buying U2 albums crowd.

Ahh well ........drivvle drivvle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

yes may I suggest you make your voice heard on this subject on that message board too. There are some right braindead mingers but there is also some interesting debate from intelligent people too thanks be to jaysus.

All the best
    Roxy/Suzy

Advertisement