Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Digital question...

• 08-11-2002 11:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I'm currently on chorus (cable) basic tv package... and I was thinking of upgrading to Sky Digital. Problem is I have two tvs in the house because we don't always want to watch the same program at the same time (aint wifes great!!?)... so anyway, my understanding is that if I buy a sky digital package, I need a decoder box PER tv.. which is like buying two packages for the house instead of one.

Is this still correct? I had heard that some companies were offering a sensible compromise for people with more than one TV in the house. Thanks in advance for any info.

c0y0te

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Hi Coyote,

At the moment you have to get two boxes and pay for two full subscriptions in order to watch different channels on different TV's.

There is a mirror subscription system in the UK that allows you to get a second subscription at a reduced price (about €20 per month) but it is not available here yet. You still have to get a second decoder box (about €159 from Sky).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

Dammit. That's a shame. Thanks for the info.

Another question.. when people here subscribe to Sky Digital, do they generally throw out the terrestrial cable option, or keep it as well (for the second tv?)

Are there any decent deals in this respect that I should check out? btw. I'm currently stuck with a chorus cable solution, so any NTL options don't count in my area at present.

c0y0te

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Most people tend to hook their second telly up to the aerial for the Irish stations I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I have 5 TVs.
    The VHS, 2 Digiboxes, 2 analog satellite boxes, PC Satellite receiver via a VHS and TV aerial all daisy chain into a 4 Way amp via one RF on last Digibox in chain. The other RF on digibox feeds local TV.

So all 5 TVs have the 4 terrestrial channels at less than Digibox quality and more than any Limerick or Dublin analog cable quality Iv'e seen.

You can watch the same Digibox on all the TVs, or Boomerang on one TV (Digibox), TCM on another (from PC) and Animal Planet on a third. BBC World TV usually on one analog box and CNN on the other.

You have to fiddle a bit with the o/p channel setting on all the boxes so as they are different channels with noe conflict each other or a weaker TV sation either.

For a while neither Digibox had a sub. Only one has as Knowledge pack (no Irish TV because RTE are IDIOTS on Sky deal compared with BBC, and SKy refuse to supply IRISH TV on less than Family Pack).

Cable doesn't get this far :D

So each TV set has like my own "cable" system with 10 channels.
    Just Like "Chorus Channel" I can switch i/p on either of the two VHS for security camera on front door or camcorder or playstation.

The DVD has no RF so it is RGB SCART. I have a Stereo Video sender which can easily plug in PC or DVD player and receive half then on any TV with SCART.

Advertisement