Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most Underrated TV show

• 08-11-2002 2:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

Since we had a tread on the most overrated ones what ones are underrated?

Millennium, Water Rats

IMO

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Odyssey 5 (kind of blew its load in the first episode, but it still holds my interest), ST Voyager (it wasn't THAT bad), Charmed (Buffy without sharp scripts, but still enjoyable).

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭The Gopher

Originally posted by TmB
    Odyssey 5 (kind of blew its load in the first episode

It did what? :eek: :D

Anyway IMO most underrated show is Oz on Fridays E4 and TG4 mondays.It is a gripping american drama set in a prison.Best show on tv bar the simpsons.
    Though unlike some I wouldnt describe it as "gritty realism".The grounds for this are that until lately every episode had at least 3 murders,which 90% of the time went unsolved;)
    Still,deadly show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Originally posted by The Gopher
    It did what? :eek: :D
    LOL.... I mean it gave too much away about the possible cause of the destruction of the earth.

- Dave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I think Seinfield was very under-rated in Ireland. So too is Law & Order. &last TV is very under rated along with Murphy Brown & Spin City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Becker is awful good on Network 2, I think its on Tuesday or Wednesday,
    and the secretary chick is v hot

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by lafortezza
    the secretary chick is v hot

I had sex with her.
    Twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

you got my sloppy seconds then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Originally posted by Cork
    I think Seinfield was very under-rated in Ireland.

Agreed :)
    I think its /too/ "New York" for most Irish people to actually understand, but in General never got as much recognition in terms of programming priority it should have.

--
    Another show would be "Curb Your Enthusiasm", written and starring Seinfeld Co-creator Larry David. The 1st 2 seasons were shown on TG4 and BBC4 has proposals to show it as well.

Overall though, when I tell most people about it they havent a clue or never even heard of it. All I can say is its hillarious and harks back to some of the original Good 'Ol days of Seinfeld :)

Keep an eye out for it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by Elmo
    Water Rats

that is a great show. is anyone showing it at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by 80project

I think its /too/ "New York" for most Irish people to actually understand, but in General never got as much recognition in terms of programming priority it should have.

I dont think its too new york. An argument could be made that its too jewish to be fully appreciated by a largely catholic audience, but im willing to bet it comes down to the musical stings.

Seinfeld on one hand featured some of the best sitcom storylines seen in recent years combined with the WORST music ever heard on tv :) Ive lost count of the amount of people who say "yeh, seinfeld is alright but those bass pieces piss me off no end"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

There used to be a show on called The Invisible Man about this guy who, suprisingly, could turn invisible, only he needs to keep taking this drug stuff to stop him from going insane and killcrazy. It was damn good, but I wouldn't be suprised if not even a single person here knew about it.
    Other good shows are Oz, Seinfeld, Six Feet Under, Invader Zim, The Drew Carey Show and Farscape. Also if you have cartoon network, you should definately watch Cowboy Bebop, that show rocks the nuts off all kind of ****.

I would argue /too /New York/ also includes some of the overt /Jewish/ references and jokes.

Point taken though.
    I mean, i dont think most most people find the phrase "yada, yada" very funny or got the whole episode about "The Bris" (i.e. the guy who does circumcisions !!) to name but a few of the many Jewish type jokes :)

--
    Btw,
    I like the the Sein music :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Originally posted by DrunkLeprachaun
    There used to be a show on called The Invisible Man about this guy who, suprisingly, could turn invisible, only he needs to keep taking this drug stuff to stop him from going insane and killcrazy. It was damn good, but I wouldn't be suprised if not even a single person here knew about it.

"I need to get this gland out of my head" :)

That show was kewl, but they stopped it abruptley after Season 2, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

third watch is pretty good and the west wing, that is seriously wasted by rte, graveyard slot on thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

The Sein music sets the tone nicely for each scene, you need to watch the show consistently to get a good feel for it thats where Net 2 failed giving up on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Family Guy on Sky is cool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Yes I felt and feel that Seinfeld is too american, and yes i hate the music and it is in my head now. But in fairness I have laughed when watching. Curb Your Enthusiam can also be funny.

Other underrate ones that I had forgot. Freeks And Geeks, Undeclared.

The Invisable Man was very good also but had the worst time slot on N2.

Why Do E4 show The West Wing its not relly there type of show now is it?????

CYE is always funny Larry David is a comedy genius.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Mission Hill and Ed also are well worth a look. Ed especialy, it used to be on on thursdays at around 8, but now it's for some reason been changed to saturday night(sunday morning) at 2:30, after the aforementioned middion hill. That show's great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Originally posted by DrunkLeprachaun

Is that not on Bravo @ the weekends?
    the guy works as a agent for some company or other?

and not invisible..."quicksilver" was the term no?
    [I could be on about a different program tho]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

That 70's Show

that 70s show is just a bit passe now. used to watch it religously a few years ago but it just went nowhere. now we have that 80s show. oh dear god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

boston public and teachers

• Registered Users Posts: 23 blackhead

Other underrated shows
    I think half the problem with shows on RTE/BBC is as other people have stated already the scheduling. I thought 24 was one of the best shows ever when it was on last year and yet hardly anyone watched it.
    I also liked Felicity - which RTE dropped mid season and I love Alias. I thought Attachments was good too but suffered by being initially primed as 'this Life' with trechies instead of solicitors. It wasn't as good, but very enjoyable, some great characters and story lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Carbiens

M*A*S*H*

nuff said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Was Felicity not dropped by the american tv company due to her bad hair cut?

Jesus, do people not read other posts in the thread?

Blackhead, while i agree with you about RTE's scheduling the same cannot be said for UK stations.

24 was NOT underrated. It was quite highly acclaimed.

M*A*S*H is one of the most famous sitcoms ever made, explain to me how exactly its underrated?

Remember folks, Underrated != shows you like that you havent seen lately :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Profiler
    Farscape
    Millenium
    Diagnoses Murder
    Space Ghost -Coast to Coast-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Home Movies on Cartoon Network... why more ppl don't watch it I don't know, its pure genius.

or any of the other shows on Adult Swim .. more of them should be showed this side of the Atlantic :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Earth: Final Conflict!!!

Come on, somebody has to enjoy it, even though they drag things out too much its still enjoyable. God damn you Sandoval, always getting away!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I must admit that TV3 make better use of the programmes that they have. They put them on in pretty good times.

RTE are crude bad. Look at The West Wing,Law & Order, Drew Carey,Sopranos,etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

A few that nobody has mentioned so far:

American Gothic
    This was never given a decent shot over here. Network 2 and UTV used to show it at the most insane times (2am), so I rarely got a chance to watch it. It was basically a supernatural drama series, with Gary Cole playing a sheriff in a small, southern town. Oh, he's also the Devil. Pretty messed up.

The Larry Sanders Show
    One of the reasons I despise Seinfeld so much (beyond the redundant observations and stupid bass lines) is the fact that the last episode of Seinfeld (a pretty unimpressive piece of TV) completely drew all attention away from the last episode of the Larry Sanders Show (probably the finest piece of TV I have ever seen). Consistently funny. If only they could stop Gary Shandling from looking like he's sucking on a lemon.

Jack of all Trades
    This was part of a Sam Raimi-produced "Hour of Power" (I shit you not), also featuring Cleopatra 2525 (which probably deserves a mention too - a hot chick goes in for plastic surgery to get her breasts enlarged, wakes up in the future. And the future looks very sexy indeed). Anyway - Jack of all Trades was Bruce Campbell (I could stop now - that's all the explaination most people should need) as a pirate/zorro-type character called Jack Stiles, with a derring-do alter-ego, "the Daring Dragoon". It's pretty hard to explain, but imagine a live-action version of the Secret of Monkey Island, and you'll not be far off.

Its been a while since i thought of american gothic. that was a really good show and it was seriously messed up. rte did give it a prime time slot on sundaythough. its failure could be down to the incredible stupidity of your average american and their complete unwillingness to think independantly.
    as for cleopatra 2525 i remember seeing that on network 2 at about 2-3am about 2 years ago. but i dont remember any bruce campbell on before or after it though.

Originally posted by DiscoStu
    as for cleopatra 2525 i remember seeing that on network 2 at about 2-3am about 2 years ago. but i dont remember any bruce campbell on before or after it though.
    Yeah - for some reason "The Hour of Power" dropped Jack of all Trades, and Cleopatra 2525 ran for a season on its own, before collapsing completely. Probably because "The Half-Hour of Half-Power" sounds shitty.

But this only goes to emphasise just how underrated Jack of all Trades was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Nobody seems to watch The Shield on Monday nights on TV3. Its quite good, honestly !

Obey I disagree with you strongly regarding Sanders very good yes but only in the last 2 years. I remember my bro and I were watching one week and we said last week with Hanks B-day it has to be good this week but it wasn't, not consistent enough and not enough Hank in the first 4 years, who really was the star of the show. The Finale was ok nothing special very similar to Seinfeld bringing back old guests but I think they tried to cram too many in.

Originally posted by smuckers
    Obey I disagree with you strongly regarding Sanders very good yes but only in the last 2 years. I remember my bro and I were watching one week and we said last week with Hanks B-day it has to be good this week but it wasn't, not consistent enough and not enough Hank in the first 4 years, who really was the star of the show. The Finale was ok nothing special very similar to Seinfeld bringing back old guests but I think they tried to cram too many in.
    I remember one episode about Hank's birthday, and I also remember laughing my ass off at it. I guess there's no accounting for taste. Personally, I really liked it in the beginning, when Janeane Garofalo and Jeremy Piven were still in it.

As for the final episode of Larry Sanders, I don't know if you're thinking of the same 'final episode' as me. It wasn't just a shameless attempt to 'cram too many' old guests back in - there was an attempt to create some genuine emotions in it. Pretty heartwrenching stuff, right up there with the last episode of the Wonder Years and the Golden Girls, for me.

But we must ask, can we really trust a moderator of a Seinfeld board, with George as his avatar to give an unbiased opinion? :D

Point taken Obey I love Sanders and Seinfeld they are my 2 fave US sitcoms Curb your Enthusiam would be up there 2 outstanding. But one show which has gone incredibly downhill was Frasier , getting Niles and Daphne together put the zing out of it. The Wonder Years was fab good memories from that

A bit suprised that they havent released a second Sanders DVD I've got the first one.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by smuckers
    But one show which has gone incredibly downhill was Frasier , getting Niles and Daphne together put the zing out of it.

Actually, i dont think Frasier has been mentioned before this. Its a bloody great show (me own personal favorite US Sitcom) and it lives in Cheers shadow far too much. Cant help but slightly agree with you about it going downhill since Niles and Daphne got together tho.

Also, i cant believe i didnt think of this sooner, but Coupling has been consistently brilliant in its three series. For some reason its been largely ignored by the viewing public and for the life of me i cant understand why. The plotting is actually better than Seinfeld imo (cue lots of agahst responses from smuckers and 80P :P)

You know us too well Dustaz, but everyones entitled to their opinions, Coupling is a tad reminder of Friends which I loathe.

George: "How about visting the friends board"?
    Jerry: "We can visist them together"
    George: "Every five years"

that wasn't strictly a quote from the show but in the same context replacing Friends with their parents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Seaman

Originally posted by Elmo

Other underrate ones that I had forgot. Freeks And Geeks, Undeclared.

Completely agree. Freeks and Greeks was brilliant and totally underrated in my opinion. Undeclared was very funny also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭DrizztIE

Seinfield - any1 agree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Pencapchew

Scrubs I think is very very good and family guy is always going to be up there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭DrizztIE

Scrubs is a good laugh... better than ER most of the time...

Originally posted by DrizztIE
    Seinfield - any1 agree?

Look back thro the thread-
    its been mentioned and discussed...

As you'll see I agree :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Skippy

excellent program. Doesen't have all the happy ending crap like most. don't forget newyork undercover brill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Millennium(****ing fantastic, catch it late night on skyy)
    Law & Order(best cop show around)
    Total Recall 2050

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Relic Hunter...

*nyom*:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement