Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can this PSU cut it.

• 08-11-2002 2:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭

Guy is putting a system together

AMD Athlon XP 2000 Processor
    Creative Geforce 4 Ti 4200 64MB DDR
    Seagate U6 5400 RPM ATA100 40GB Hard Drive
    NEC DVD 16/48X
    GlacialTech CPU Cooler
    10/100 Network Card
    ECS K7S5A Motherboard
    256MB PC2100 DDR RAM
    Elite System Case
    Sound Blaster 1024 PCI Soundcard
    Floppy Disk Drive

Now he's gotten all these bits togther from various sources and isn't going to change any, however, I am concerned about the PSU, this Elite System case (53 Euro in PCSuperstore, Waterford and I'm sure the other PCSuperstore locations), has a generic 300W PSU (Cheap as ****, 14A on the 3.3V Line, 20A on the 5V etc......)

I don't think it's got enough juice for the task in hand, however I have seen these weedy PSU's power systems like this before. In fact for a while there I had a 300W running my own machine, pretty much as above, but with a Burner and another HD as well, oh and a GF4Ti 4600 instead of the 4200. I have since moved to the Enermax 431. No difference, but more peace of mind. Seems to be luck of the draw with these cheapo PSU's.

Anyway, anyone any experience with these particular PSU's / cases, I reckon the rest of the machine is fine so don't bother commenting on it(although I HATE the ECS board, but this one is secondhand and working fine, I've tested it).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I think if you flash the bioses of those boards and put some thermal paste under the northbridge cooler they work properly.
    Theres some forums about that board on the net with fixes.

I'd get a 350w for that spec tbh. Just for safety really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I have a similar case and power supply to this as well (bought from pcsuperstore as well, I bought from there because it was handy) ... I know, I know, $hitty case but cheap as muck ... I have a supermicro p6dge with 2 X 1GHz P3's, 1GB ram, a 29160 scsi card, 10000 rpm seagate 73GB hd, a burner, dvd, geforce 3 ti200, modem, sound card, 2 case fans and a drive bay cooler (3 small fans in that).... never had a problem ... (except noise, but i knew what I was letting myself in for with the hard drive, I had heard it running in a quiet environment, but I got it cheap and it is VERY fast) ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

(although I HATE the ECS board, but this one is secondhand and working fine, I've tested it).

Ah, it's not too bad. I find mine stable, it just ai'nt for OC'ing

10000 rpm seagate 73GB hd

OMG!:eek:

b

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I could write a book on the ECS board. I have put together several systems with these, and found it to be a 50-50 pot luck type thing, if you got one that had problems (normally manifest in the form of frequent crashes at 133FSB).

You are referring to the chipset heatsink fix PPC, this is already done as it's one of the old machines I put together for someone else (who now wants a USB2.0 board) and it's been great for the last 6 months, I had one myself for about 9 months and they were ok if you got a 'good' one. (ps: the north and south bridge is one combined chip in these boards, thats how they can sell them so cheap.)

I think theres no harm trying the cheapo since the guys only just gone and bought the bleedin thing this afternoon ! At least I will get to say I told you so and can take the moral high ground which is important considering I will have to put it together for him !

Thanks for the replies.

Advertisement