Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returns...

Options
  • 08-11-2002 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

If you want to return something to a shop as you think it is faulty, but the shop insists after looking at the item that its not faulty. What happens. Do they have to accept the return or do I have to prove that its faulty? Do I have to accept the goods?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

weh!

Why do they think it is working and you don't??.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Under the Sale of goods and supply of services act 1980... anything you buy from a retailer must be:
    ->of merchantable quality
    ->fit for its normal purpose, and reasonably durable
    ->as described, whether the description is part of the advertising or wrapping, on a label, or something said by the salesperson.

This obviously emcompasses faulty goods.

My recomendation to you is... (and I have done this myself on numerous occasions), State the above to a sales assistant or a manager in the store in question.

That usualy works, however if they are then still refusing to return your money, then you might want to consider pursuing the matter in the Small Claims Court. It will cost you only a few bob.

Might want to check out the Consumers Association website, specifically here...
    http://www.consumerassociation.ie/rights_knowrights.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by Gordon
    weh!

Why do they think it is working and you don't??.

I'm a web/print designer. The item is an expensive monitor and I reckon the focus isn't perfect and the theres a colour fringe to one side. Now its slight, but its there. My GF can see it but most people wouldn't notice it but its a problem for me. THe guys in the retailer can't see it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Deffo take it back then and while you are there tell them to give their eyes back to god for realignment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

If they accept that monitor isn't perfect, do I have to accept a replacement or can I insist on a refund?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

If they concede there is a fault, your legal entitlement is to a full refund.

Obviously, you may not seek to enforce that right and accept a replacement.

Advertisement