Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing Win2k, Off2K and VS6 tips?

• 08-11-2002 2:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm planning on installing (in this order):

Windows 2000
    Win2K SP2
    Visual Studio 6
    VS6 SP5
    Office 2000
    O2K SP2

Anyone think this is a bad idea in that order? It's for a fresh start, and I'd like to get it right pretty much first time. I've tried a google, but no matches are up to date on the Service Packs (SPs)

All help, tips, dos and do-nots appreciated :)

It is what it's.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Check whether sp's are cumulative

W2ksp2 IS, it has all of sp1 and more

sp3 is current and there is a security only version of sp3 called (confusingly) a secirity rolloup sp2sr or something similar.

Office2k SP2 is additional,
    sp1 is 27Mb while
    sp2 has an additional 9Mb and and there are more security patches since from

http://office.microsoft.com

you will be asked for the install cd a lot as well.

I am not sure if VS6 sp5 is cumulative or additiional , I would do that last as it will install a debugger for crappy scripts and the like in IE

M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

its nice to see some ppl having a bit of sence and staying with SP2 on win2k. SP3 is a bit of a nono in my experiance. I'll stick with SP2 until sp4 comes out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Originally posted by ando
    its nice to see some ppl having a bit of sence and staying with SP2 on win2k. SP3 is a bit of a nono in my experiance. I'll stick with SP2 until sp4 comes out

How come? I've had a lot less problems under SP3 than SP2.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Anyone think this is a bad idea in that order?

VB is demon jism, I'd be inclined to installed Office first, because at least you know you'll be clean until you hit VB.

That said, I'm defintely not authoritative on this: I installed VB /once/, just to have a poke and see what all the fuss was about, and uninstalling it really didn't do what I expected it to do. I ended up wiping a nice setup and starting again. I hate it when that happens.

Nothing is as bad as Oracle though, when you uninstall it it leaves it's services behind, and running -- and they're hungry feckers too. What a whore of an application.

Hey, aren't mods supposed to keep threads ON-topic?

adam

Advertisement