Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm a wireless moron

Options
  • 08-11-2002 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭

Hello!

I've got an Apple laptop with an Airport wireless card that supports 802.11b.

I've also got a PC. If I buy a PCI wireless network card for the PC can I network the PC and the laptop without also buying a hub/wireless base station of some kind? (kind of like just using a crossover cable between two computers, but with wireless magic instead)

Also, what PCI wireless network card would people recommend? I'm running Win98SE (don't ask).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Provided your Apple wireless lets you run it in ad hoc mode, which I'm pretty sure all cards do. You set them both to ad hoc, configure each to use the same essid/bssid (basically a name for your network) and all is well, theoretically.
    I have the same at home to connect my notebook to my desktop and apart from driver issues with windows xp it works a charm.
    Don't make the miistake I made and buy Nortel Networks cards just because they were cheap on e-bay. I'm sure somebody on the board can advise you on a quality card that will work well with your airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

I've got a Linksys WMP-11 PCI card working under Windows 98 without complaints. I use it in 'Infrastructure' mode, with an Apple AirPort basestation, but like all the other wireless cards out there it should work just as well in Ad-Hoc mode with your Apple.

You should also consider a USB wireless NIC which has two big advantages. First, since it's hanging off the end of a cable, you get to place it for best reception. A PCI card will have the antenna stuck behind your desk, half blocked by the sheet steel of your PC case. Second, it's hot-pluggable so you can offer it to a visitor, at home or otherwise, without resorting to a screwdriver. Don't worry about USB being slow - it's just right for 802.11b speeds.

Advertisement