Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia 3650

Options
  • 08-11-2002 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭

In a word - yuk.

It's basically a cut down version of the 7650, accepts memory cards and can play video files as standard*. The buttons are arranged in the form of a rotary dialer, which makes it *incredibly* hard to write text messages. My thumb almost locked on me after using the phone for a mere 5 minutes. There also seems to be a feature allowing the user to send & recieve movie clips via MMS. Can't imagine how the operators would price a service like that. I hear that the N6650 can record movie clips. That should be interesting :)

*an application can be installed on the 7650 to allow the unit to play movie files.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

well one thing i like about it that the 7650 is lacking is the MMC's, dunno bout the rest- ain't seen the thing, only wish me 7650 supported MMC's.as for video, can the 3650 not record video? that software for the 7650 can abeit poor quality and limited length

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

had a quick look at one with a Nokia chap and the 3650 form factor is supposed to be the height of ergonomics (according to Nokia) it's shaped that way for gaming and texting being aimed at a more youth oriented market than the 7650 (I must be old so!)

when i started using the 7650 after a long session of browsing my right hand hurt (and I was holding the 7650 in my right hand before any of you comedians start!) but found having the keypad open was a much more comfortable position if doing any lengthy reading

the Video recorder is by Hantro, to be built into the 3650 OS as standard - it was made available for the 7650 by T-Mobile Germany, be interesting to see if Vodafone or O2 offer it to their customers....
    http://www.hantro.com/sept.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭mirv

How exactly is it a cut down version? From all the previews and specs I've read it looks to be the 7650's bigger brother in terms of functionality and upgradability.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Bad description on my part, mirv. I apologise.

The model I've been using is a prototype and I haven't noticed any great advantages over the 7650 other than the memory card slot. The camera is also worse than the 7650, being only a 2.7mm versus the 7650's 3.5mm. The tracking of moving images is also consideraly worse than on the 7650.

If you mean that it literally looks like the 7650's bigger brother, than yes, 'tis a good deal bigger in size. It has a very plastic, tacky, cheap feel to it too.

I meant it in functionality, not literally, though it is 1.5cm more tall than the 7650, hardly a "good deal bigger".

It also has - WAP 2.0 over WAP 1.2.1, camcorder functionality, a MMC slot which allows its camera to be used more than a few times, and is a triband phone.

And most of all, doesn't have a fscking joystick!

Sorry for being defensive, I'm pretty much bound to get one free in a few weeks through nokiagame. :)

• Advertisement

And also, the final production model should have a 3.5mm lens, as well as a bigger battery than the 7650.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

main differences of the 3650 over the 7650:

On the hardware side:
    3650 fun/gamer/texter/youth focused form factor
    3650 is tri-band - 7650 isn't (only dual band)
    3650 includes Bluetooth headset profile - 7650 doesn't
    3650 MMC expansion - 7650 no expansion
    3650 5-way pad - 7650 5-way joystick
    3650 clip on covers - 7650 doesn't
    3650 130g - 7650 154g

On the software side main differences (with download options for the 7650):
    3650 Wap2.0 / XHTML browser - 7650 WAP 1.2.1 (Web viewer app for purchase)
    3650 Real Player built-in - 7650 Real Player app download
    3650 MPEG4 video capture - 7650 Video capture app from T-Mobile (DE) can be "found" on the web download

form factor is the big thing here - 3650 is aimed at a more youth oriented market - clip-on covers / bright colours / form factor - they focused the ergonomics towards youth and gamers / texters

the 3650 announced standard battery (850mAh) has a higher mAh rating, the BLB-2 that comes in the 7650 appears to have a number of revisions in it's mAh capacity (the last being 830 mAh)

the next gen model of 7650 is due though (which could get to market quickly as it can re-use the core internals of the 3650), it's been a year since it's announcement and the upcoming launch of the P800 from SonyEricsson with much enhanced spec that Nokia currently has no direct competitor for

HTH,
    BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Originally posted by mirv
    though it is 1.5cm more tall than the 7650, hardly a "good deal bigger".
    Every centimeter counts ;)
    And most of all, doesn't have a fscking joystick!
    The joystick is actually a very good attribute of the 7650, the D-pad on the 3650 is a pain to use, in my opinion. Plus, those rotary number keys are *the* biggest pain in the rectum since my last case of hemorrhoids.

Advertisement