Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to UK

Options
  • 09-11-2002 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

Sorry to bother you with this one, but the guy down at the TV shop didn't know....

I'm moving to the UK in a few months and want to know if my Irish Phillips TV and Irish Sony VHS will work in London. (I'm planning to get Cable)

i.e. will it receive all the channels without a seperate decoder??

Thanks for any advice you have-

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Jasper

You have nothing to worry about. Everything will work ok.
    UK TV's and Videos are (generally) only capable of receiving UHF transmissions. Irish ones are cabable of receiving both VHF and UHF. The transmission standard is the same. I've been in the same situation a few years ago. Hope this helps.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Originally posted by Canadian
    Sorry to bother you with this one, but the guy down at the TV shop didn't know....

I'm moving to the UK in a few months and want to know if my Irish Phillips TV and Irish Sony VHS will work in London. (I'm planning to get Cable)

i.e. will it receive all the channels without a seperate decoder??

Thanks for any advice you have-

You may be able to recieve some of the channels without a seperate decoder, but I don't think so. Your UK cable company will supply you with a decoder anyway...as customers with UK TVs cannot recieve their cable channels without a decoder. You will get analogue pass-through for BBC ONE, BBC TWO, ITV1, Channel 4, and Channel Five.

In addition, they are unlikely to supply you with an analogue service now - they are trying to get all their customers transferred over to digital.

The two main UK cable companies are NTL Home (www.ntl.com) and Telewest Broadband (www.telewest.co.uk) - NTL Home covers most of London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

and the electrical connection / voltage ...3 square pins.... is identical to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Jasper

Originally posted by Canadian
    I'm moving to the UK in a few months and want to know if my Irish Phillips TV and Irish Sony VHS will work in London
    -

Yes they will. But as the previous poster said all cable TV in the UK is via a decoder box. So, you don't have a problem. Just sign up!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mickyperry

Get digital cable on the basic package and get a chipped analogue cable box.

sorted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Unless the house already has UK digital Cable with Computer broadband 24/24 I wouln't bother. I'd get Sky FTV or Freeview or both. 30 decent TV / 60Radion on Digibox, 29 channels on Freeview.

Freeview you use an aerial and buy £95 box.. nothing more to pay.

Sky you just ask for free Card to enable existing Digibox, of go for top free install, get box free, Reduce to value, Knowledge pack after 1 month and cancel altogether after one year.

For ALL channels (Movie World + Sports World) Sky is better than cable and more reliable.

It is only on the Average Cable in Ireland that Cable is cheaper than Sky.

UK cable never took off like Dublin (fueled by BBC/UTV), so it is much rarer and more likely to have NO analog (i.e. only works one TV, or all TVs see same channel). Some NTL do have a basic selection on Analog to give basic channels different on different TVs. Quality can be poor.

Make sure of a TV aerial to get different channels on different TVs, There are after all 5 terrestrial channels (some places have a 6th local channel).

If you get Sky and Irish sub before you go you can get UK FTV card in UK and swap cards to have Irish TV and all the UK FTV channels blocked on Irish card. You just need to keep and Irish bank account and arrange mail to be forwared (an small extra fee to an post does this practically for years).

Advertisement