Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snakes

Options
  • 10-11-2002 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

I've always wanted to get me a pet snake, just a small 'un, no monster pythons or anything. Only thing that put me off is that they all eat insects/small animals.

Or do they? Are there any vegetarian snakes you can buy? If so, what exactly do they eat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

Not sure that there IS a vegetarian snake.. though perhaps one of the really tiny ones?

Maybe too, a small one wouldnt need to be fed live animals and would be content with a dead rat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

PiE,

Only the really reallysmall ones possibly. Anything larger would need to eat what it usually would eat, insects in the case of smaller snakes, and mice/fuzzies in the case of larger snakes.

It'd be like teaching a lion to eat vegetables otherwise.

You can get snakes that eat fish . You just have to buy fresh fish in a shop and they will eat that . I always wanted a snake nothing big but the feeding was terrible . Go to Reptile Haven in Fishamble street and ask for Ben . He wil get you a snake like that . I got myself an Iguana . Vegitarian costs nothing to keep :)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭foxinsocks

several years ago, i decided i'd like to have a pet snake, so i procured myself a teeny grass snake, she was only 8 inches long... you can imagine something this size isnt gonna be eating any live mammals... she ate small pieces of fish, the only problem was, although i was told she would eat defrosted bits, in fact she only wanted fresh, so i had to buy a full fillet in order to give her a cubic centimetre of fish, every time she was due a feed...

After a while, i traded her in for a European rat snake, he was almost 4 feet long, and fed on live mice... again, i was told he would be ok with dead animals, defrosted, that the petshop could supply, but he wasnt, he'd only touch em if they were moving. I ended up buying a mommy mouse, and a daddy mouse, and selling the excess resultant mice back to the petshop....

Snakes eat live animals, this is how they work in the wild, why would you want a pet that you have a problem with like this...

Iguana's and the like make better pets, they can actually get used to handling, and be let out to roam the room, snakes just sit there, unless they are feeding... they are pretty cool to look at, but ultimately, i wouldnt recommend em...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 beardie

you can get egg eating snakes.they just eat entire chicken or quail eggs they're pretty cool see if ben in reptile haven can get you one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

foxinsocks wrote:
    Iguana's and the like make better pets, they can actually get used to handling, and be let out to roam the room, snakes just sit there, unless they are feeding... they are pretty cool to look at, but ultimately, i wouldnt recommend em...

Iguanas really do not make good pets! The scratch & tail whip! They can bite *thankfully mine have not bitten yet!* They cost a fortune to feed correctly & need a lot of room!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Get a rough green snake, they live on invertebrates, handy to feed. Alternatively get a ribbon snake, they are the ones who eat the guppies/fish. If you go for a ribbon snake be aware that hibernation is part of their natural life cycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Worth noting that this is an old thread.....but if your still looking at buying a snake and feeding is an issue, maybe a garter snake would be suitable? Very friendly little guys, full of curiosity and nice to handle. They feed on guppies, live, but it's not too bad, you just keep a few in fish bowl, pop one in their water dish every few days and it's quite fun to watch them chase and feed on the fish, not gruesome at all, just swallow the fish whole. I'm really not a snake person but I love my little garter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 rossbeag

I have a few cornsnakes. Lovely creatures, very gentle and grow to about four foot eventually. Their sole diet is rodents but I get these frosen, all packed up nicely like fish fingers so I just thaw them out and the lads love them. I don't think badly of feeding them because its their only source of food - its easy enough to buy and store:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 just_stevo

vegetarian snakes?? what kind off a fool are you man...and no you dont have to feed them live food... i have a 7 foot carpet python.. he will be 10 foot when fully grown...and he eats dead rats and chickens...the feeding is the best part of owning him... i love snakes they are the best animals ever...leggless without even drinking!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Some species of garter snake will also eat earthworms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Gingy Fly

ALL snakes are carnivorous and none are veggies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Oooooohhhh Zombie thread, someone call Ash!

Advertisement