Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NetSmart

Options
  • 10-11-2002 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭

I have to say ive made the biggest mistake ever signing up for the NetSmart service offered by EsatBT, im on the 120 hour service with them and all i can say is its ****e, it takes ages to load webpages and foget about online gaming, i had a better ping on my nolimits service then netsmart

It was a huge mistake but sure i went into it blind and what do i expect fot 30 euro a month

Sigh a lesson to us all I think

TRI

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Surely you can cancel the account. As far as I know it's not like UTV where you have to stay on for 3months min.

I use NoLimits, which is the very same modem bank as NetSmart and I've no problems. But then again, thats just me. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

For me pings are as low as 40ms, and pinging the BBC web site for example takes 50ms (connecting using a D-Link ISDN router). But as Patrick pointed out, there is no minimum term, so you may unsubscribe at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

this ping is breaking my heart sigh ah well it was fun while it lasted

tri

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

I can't say that I've had any problem with the service at all, apart from the 120 hour cap :rolleyes:

I've actually found it faster than SNL, and Eircom Net or IOL "Free".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Originally posted by triacus98
    I have to say ive made the biggest mistake ever signing up for the NetSmart service offered by EsatBT, im on the 120 hour service with them and all i can say is its ****e, it takes ages to load webpages and foget about online gaming, i had a better ping on my nolimits service then netsmart

Sigh a lesson to us all I think

TRI

I find it a very good service for 56k, I connect first time, I have yet to recieve a busy tone. Web Pages load as quickly as my prior serives. My pings to game servers are extremly acceptable for 56k, I ping between 150 to an Irish Server and 190 - 200 max to most of the Jolt and Barrysworld Servers. I dl at an average of 4.2k which for a dial up is fine imho.

• Advertisement

I ping irish servers at a rate of 200-350, and uk servers between 400- 758, this reply alone has taken 3 minutes for it to come upto the reply box alone, tonight I was dling a file that was 1.2 meg at an average of 0.5 kpbs

So unless ive got a crap phone line crap modem or crap machine, i dont know whats going on, also im getting frequent disconnects from the service

TRI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

Well I just dowloaded a file on Surf No Limits (ISDN)..
    Went at 6.9k all along in getright.. i.e. full speed

Sounds like it's your line.. I used to find on analogue, limiting my connect speed often drastically improved speed as the modem tries to send/receive too much data for the line to handle...

Have you tested other ISPs for their speed since you started using Netsmart? There may be additional noise on your line from something or other since you signed up..

What speed did you drop it down to i have it at 57600

TRI

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

This is looking more and more like a nets/comms issue, since noone else is complaining too much about the service from esat.

Triacus, What modem do you currently use? Did it give you decent speeds with previous isps?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

It's working fine for me (on 56k). I was getting an average download speed of about 5K/sec which is the usual for me. Haven't had any problems getting connected. I don't play online games so I don't know about that.
    What speeds are you getting on other ISPs?

• Advertisement

Modem is a dynalink 56 kflex V90 modem external, the only other ISP i signed up with is NOLIMITS, and to be honest that was no better, although ping rates were good on that

TRI

The driver for the modem is SCM 56k external modem driver if thats any help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

sign up and try one of the free isp's then u will know if its your phone line thats the problem
    in most cases it is :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

The dialup number for Ocean is in the FAQ, just setup a connection and see what happens. The username/password is Oceanfree for both.

Advertisement