Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips and Tricks?

Options
  • 05-03-1999 3:26pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I'll stop moaning about zerg for a moment to start an important thread. Important cos if we dont share tips and tricks etc with each other we'll all end up like draco (j/king!).

Alright then my fav trick (which I've only done once and I didnt really invent it, Nicky kinda did)

Zerg and Terran playing together in an alliance. Terran player builds a Command Centre he doesnt need and flys it down to his mate the Zergie.
    Zerg player makes sure his troops are nowhere near the Terran's. He takes off alliance and attacks the Centre and infests it. Then he puts on alliance again and they are one big happy (exploding) family.

The best thing about infested terrans (who, if you dont know, explode with the force of a nuke!) is that they are Zerg ground troops and hence can bury! Nasty little surprise for invading forces...

Single player its very hard to infest command centres and if you have the time to fiddle with it you probably have already won...it IS kewl when it happens but its more like an Axe kill in quake, its really a showoff "**** you" to the terran player...

One thing about infested terrans is that they cant take much punishment and if they die before reaching their target then they dont go BOOM.

Anyone else got nasty tricks to share?

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Er tactics...
    I like flying my siege tanks onto high things where they can shoot your peons...

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

That is a great trick esp. since you can it only takes 2 or 3 of them to kill most buildings as well.

If you're a Protoss and you allied with some one, can you use the teleport thing of the Arbitor of your allies troops? Hmmm...teleport a few infested terrans into the middle of the enemies base....hehehehe

we'll all end up like draco but DeV, I'm perfect wink.gif

What do people think about playing random? Is being familiar with every race worth the element of uncertainty the opponent will have?

Dan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

at the level we're playing at (low), i doubt random will make a difference.
    of course, if you were a bit better than we are (ehh wha.. that's easy), then maybe it would affect games by enough to warrant learning all the races..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

Here, speaking of which, teleporting etc, one thing I noticed while playing an allied game v's Reaper (he beat 3 of us incidentially frown.gif ). Anyhows, can you transport an allied protos player using overlords in brood wars? I donno cos im a newbie muppet, but it sure would be fun tongue.gif

• Advertisement

Yeah... allies can all use each others special abilities, like medics from one force, could heal hydras or goons from another, if they were allied

Dan

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Jaysus MP you must really suck if Reaper beat 3 of ye. I mean , I hear Reaper is good and all but noone should be able to beat 3 competent (sentinent???) players.

Anyway, Lurker drops at the peon line are good cos they kill them real fast.
    Battlecruisers with scourges are kewl.

Any other 2 player tricks?

DeV.
    (iradiate on an Ultra....hmmm...)

Haven't had the chance to try this out, but it is sound in theory. Get an infested terran centre, produce loads of Infested Terrans, fly a Protoss Abiter over a base, testport the terrans in and go nuts...each one with the damage of a nuke on a single target...yummmy...

Oh and a bog standard one is emp pulse followed by plague on a Protoss base. Watch those builings crumble

[This message has been edited by Draco (edited 08-03-99).]

does a nuke only do 500 damage on buildings?
    wah like

cloaked protoss carriers , with an arbiter and an observer are cool.. if you get that far into the game.
    and if you really have time to waste, get another arbiter , put it somewhere safe, give it a hotkey(ctrl+#).. then, when your carriers look like theyre gonna get busted, you can use this arbiter to recall most of your attacking force .. thus saving on laundry costs..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Creeper

Right, some real tactics. From a real ****ign Zerg player.
    #1 70% of the Zerg army are NOT made up of Hydras and Muties. When I play, I play the end game with Zerglings backed up with defilers. Unbelievable. Zerglings with +3 Claw and Adrenal Gland/ Speed boost + Defiler doing Dark Swarm. It works.
    Another HGUE tip most of you probably know but it'll do wonders for the muppets. When playing Zerg, you have your hundred or so Zerglings readly. Drag the mouse over em and select twelve, press attack and click PAST his base. Yeah yeah yeah, most of you know this, but some morons still don't. You can't win battles as the Zerg by supervising every little scrap. You move the swarm en masse, with Dark Swarm over his Photon Cannons and Bunkers etc (doesn't affect Siege Tanks). Zerglings can RAMPAGE through most defences. If yer man is on his toes then he'll plague you/Psionic storm etc etc. This is a good tactic midgame because the opponent thinks he's survived the rush and is building up for a long game. Only a one on one tactic of course because you'll likely take horrendous casualties. But hey....

• Advertisement

Such anger in one so young... smile.gif

Dan

You can't win battles as the Zerg by
    supervising every little scrap.

I beg to differ. IT is possible to micro manage Zerg, but it takes some practice. This is a sign of a good commander - ask any woman it's attention to detail that's important, not how big your swarm is....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭DeViant

Thats True Draco,
    and with the size of your swarm, you sure do have to _MICRO_manage smile.gif

Or so I've heard............

[This message has been edited by DeViant (edited 09-03-99).]

Darling, it is definitly a marco management job when it comes to *that* particular swarm...just ask Lis....*hehehehehe*

heh.. draco play reaper..

You wish Draco, You wish!!!!!
    Best you could do at the moment is to dress up as a woman and grope another woman, Hey maybe you could chat up a lesbian.....Wait a miniute, isn't that what you did last week ???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Hehe, Nice one Baz but leave Karl's likkle boyscout alone....

Anyway you're forgetting about the girl at the Maxol who said that Karl scared her! I think it was something like

'If you're trying to scare me it's working, if you're trying to chat me up then **** off'

(Third hand info so it's most likely distorted and embellished)

Anyhoo, back on thread....

In a Tosser/Terran alliance how about using the recall ability to teleport a ghost into the centre of a base (a defense grid on an arbiter and a mad rush into the base). Then one player calls a nuclear strike and the other crystalises his ghost. You'll probably lose the arbiter but ghosty should be safe and a nuke in the centre of the base is a bit painful. (I know the same can be done with infested Terrans but they affect one building only)

Can you recall something that's been crystalised or locked down?

As for Dropships, in a melee where myself (Terran) and another Terran player allied, I couldn't transport his marines in my dropship.

And finally (phew!), yes I admit that Zerg took a beating in the patch BUT maybe they needed that beating to make them equal?? (maybe!).

Now, I'm off to do some work (I suppose I may as well seeing as they're paying me...)

Deviant - at least *I* get groped and complemented when I wear a dress....not send people running...

Draco, Thats not a defence, It mearly highlights your sexual devience.

Lolth, You DecoyBoy???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Aha! My cunning Decoyness worked!

Doh!

smile.gif

• Advertisement
Advertisement