Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kenny Dalglish throws his hat in

• 10-11-2002 2:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭

Apparently King Kenny is interested in the ireland job. His last couple of stints in management have been forgetable but he does have the pedigree.

Joe Kinear is still my first choice though.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

I would welcome Kenny as a manager. Everyone points out that Blackburns premier league win in 1995 was purely down to Walkers money but if you look some of the donkeys they actually had on the pitch (Wilcox, Ripley, Sutton, Hendry) it's amazing that they managed to take the title! As such Daglish clearly has some idea how to get most out of average players (a commodity we're certainly not in short supply of).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by Pigman
    ..if you look some of the donkeys they actually had on the pitch (Wilcox, Ripley, Sutton, Hendry) it's amazing that they managed to take the title! As such Daglish clearly has some idea how to get most out of average players (a commodity we're certainly not in short supply of).

I had'nt thought of that. Hire him now! :)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

I'd like to see Kenny get it over Robson anyway

probably cos' I'm a Pool fan though :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

LizardKing - Have to agree, Robson was a top notch player but a donkey of a manager. Daglish is a passionate man, and after reading his book have a lot of respect for the lad, who would give his all to Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

if you look some of the donkeys they actually had on the pitch (Wilcox, Ripley, Sutton, Hendry) it's amazing that they managed to take the title! As such Daglish clearly has some idea how to get most out of average players (a commodity we're certainly not in short supply of).

I have to disagree with ya there,at the time (1995) Wilcox and Ripley were two of the best wingers int he premiership,Sutton and Shearer had a brillant partnership with i think Sutton scoring somewhere between 15-20 goals that season.As For Hendry he was a super Centre half for many years and played amazing that season.

Saying that i would still welcome kenny as he has an excellent record compared to the other candidates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I agree that Ripley was a bagof sh*te but Colin Hendry was the best centre back in the premiership at that stage. Jason Wilcox was not bad and Chris Sutton scored over twenty goals. How many does a striker have to score to be good?

Anyway I would not mind seeing Kenny have the job, but I do not think he would take it for the money involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Kenny was on the list in 95/96(when Mick got the job), was offered an interview, but declined as he said his CV spoke for itself.

I`ve a lot of respect for the guy, but i dont think he`s the one tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

I'm not the greatest fan of Dalglish, but thank god we probably won't get Robson or Reid now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Congoose

I think he'd be alright. Mark Lawrenson said he's been watching and going to a huge number of matches this season, so he seems serious about the job, and he's got a good record. I reckon that puts hiim ahead of most of the other contenders, even though I think I'd prefer Joe Kinnear too. :)

Originally posted by Congoose
    I think he'd be alright. Mark Lawrenson said he's been watching and going to a huge number of matches this season, so he seems serious about the job, and he's got a good record. I reckon that puts hiim ahead of most of the other contenders, even though I think I'd prefer Joe Kinnear too. :)

How does going to lots of matchs prove he is serious about the job? considering it only became available last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Would love to see kenny get the job, I just hope that he hasn't got to deal with the same problems as Mick had to deal with. Having just read the report, it seems that Mick was not as much to blame as was made out. If the same happened to Kenny and Keane had of gone off at him I would be pretty sure that Keane would have been sent home aswell. Don't wanna make this a Keane v Mc Carthy debate so will leave it there.

I would hope that the FAI buck themselves up and get a proper handle on those recommendations made in the report , granted it will be approx. 2 years and alot of work but I would hate to see any manager of Ireland let down again in the way that Mick & the irish fans were let down in the World Cup fiasco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Congoose

Originally posted by Sposs
    How does going to lots of matchs prove he is serious about the job? considering it only became available last week.
    That's true, it doesn't prove anything but I was only giving the jist of what I heard in the interview. Lawrenson (who knows him) said that Dalglish has been researching and going to lots of matches and that he thought Dalglish was very serious about taking the job. I just think it's a positive sign that he's still very interested in the game and would make a good Ireland manager.

I think that that job has been more or less available since Mick sent Roy home.

TFTF two posts ago you said that Roy let the whole country down when he left Saipan, your last post more accurately pointed out he was sent home. Lets hope the FAI sort everything out, but there was also a big personality clash between Mick and Roy which hopefully will not be there with Mick successor so at least there will be one less contributory factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

he's been watching and going to a huge number of matches this season, so he seems serious about the job

More likely he is looking for someone to pay for his travel expences! Must be wicked expesive going to all them games!

Seriously though he has the best credentials of any of the names mentioned thus far. In fact he is the only one who has won anything as a manager of the people who have been mentioned.
    He even won a double as manager of the Pool.

So going by the record of the FAI - he hasn't a hope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

haha funny dougal but unfortunately very true aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

I have to disagree with ya there,at the time (1995) Wilcox and Ripley were two of the best wingers int he premiership,Sutton and Shearer had a brillant partnership with i think Sutton scoring somewhere between 15-20 goals that season.As For Hendry he was a super Centre half for many years and played amazing that season.

You're correct, Sutton did score somewhere between 15-20 goals that season, the actual number being .... 15. That was in 40 games btw(!) and just to prove his averageness beyond doubt he has only once beaten that record in the 7 years since then (that includes 3 years playing against cannon-fodder with Celtic).

Hendry is a player from bygone era. His blood and guts attitude was on the way out when he was at his prime and was lucky he even had the career that he did. Ripley (rightly so to my mind) just dissappeared achieving nothing of note in the interviening years Wilcox was a Leeds reserve last time I heard of him.

Please don't say these were exceptional players whose birthright was to reach the pinnacle of the English game. I respect their achievements but none of them are (or were) exceptional players.

Originally posted by Waylander
    TFTF two posts ago you said that Roy let the whole country down when he left Saipan, your last post more accurately pointed out he was sent home. Lets hope the FAI sort everything out, but there was also a big personality clash between Mick and Roy which hopefully will not be there with Mick successor so at least there will be one less contributory factor.

I didn't say that Keane let people down,(read the post again) I said that I hope that the fans and manager were not let down again as they were in Saipan. Roy was right to be pi**ed off it was the FAI that I was sying let people down.

Please don't say these were exceptional players whose birthright was to reach the pinnacle of the English game. I respect their achievements but none of them are (or were) exceptional players.

I never sayed they were exceptional players i sayed they had an exceptional season that year,big difference.

Apologies T4TF, misinterpreted what you were saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

There was a French Magazine last week talking about Phillipe Troussier (managed Japan in the WC) being linked with the job.

Its good to see names being linked with the job that have actual International experience.

Unfortunately I can't see the FAI casting their net so far, they seem to have tunnel vision when it comes to choosing managers with only candidates from Ireland or Britain being entertained.

Most of the candidates so far besides Dalglish are second raters at best so it would make sense to look further afield.

Philippe Trousier i think will be the next manager but only for 4 years cos that is the way he operates also he says strange things sometimes like in the world cup he said how he likes to finish with his best team not start with them so he brings on some of his best players towards the end instead of rite from the start?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

someone else used to do that !!!it was recently as well.

honestly thou, id say troussier sees himself as being a top class manager(rightly so as well)and wouldnt settle for the peanuts the fai would offer him.
    good choice however.

who was it????!!?!?!?!?!?

that mick fella used to do it all the time but didnt actually realise it

haha very funny..............

Advertisement