Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard drive problem - please help

• 10-11-2002 5:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

I have a really weird hard drive problem.

I have 2 hard drives configured. 1 * 80GB drive and 1 * 20GB drive. I have them daisy chained on IDE 1. I'm certain they are configured correctly (master slave) and that all my cabling is correct. Both drives are visible on bootup (bios) and there are no problems running in Windows (98 or ME). Also the drives are patitioned as follows...

20GB drive 2 partitions C & D
    80GB drive 2 partitions E & F

BTW the 20GB drive is my primary drive and the operating system is installed here.

However if I boot into Dos I can only see the C: drive. This causes problems when trying to backup with ghost (trying to make an image of C: partition to one of the other drives). Also I tried to install XP. When XP runs hardware check I get an blue screen error (can post if it will help) saying install stop due to a hardware problem. Check to see if you have a virus (I dont) and if you have added new drives recently ensure they are terminated correctly.

Anyone have any ides what could be worng ?
    Also if I disconnect the second (80GB) drive and install XP - then reconnect the 80GB drive would this cause a problem. My 80GB drive has 50G's of MP3's which I do not want to risk losing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

check pm Dave

Advertisement