Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading M-ATX box - advice welcome

Options
  • 10-11-2002 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

I am fairly new to this whole PC rebuilding lark, so some advice would be welcome to ensure I don't forget anything on my list.

Basically I am scrapping a 3 year old GW2K Celeron 400 machine. I am happy to go again with an M-ATX board because I don't have that many requirements for expansion. And it allows me keep the case. And I am keen to save on cost.

I have identified the following as essential:

- Motherboard (M-ATX) that can handle an AMD Athlon XP and DDR RAM
    - 256MB DDR RAM
    - AMD Athlon XP 1900+ (at least)
    - Cooler / Fan for above
    - New PSU to replace a 90W unit (underpowered possibly and makes an annoying whispering sound when you move the mouse pointer, etc)

I want to avoid getting a graphics / sound card at this stage.

I came up with the following on a visit to Komplett.ie:

Motherboard - ASUS A7N266-VM Socket A DDR nForce 220D: Appears to be everything I require. Built in (reasonable) graphics chipset with Dolby Digital output. Can take up to 1GB DDR RAM, enough for quite a while. Built in 10/100 LAN. 4x AGP Slot. 2 x USB 1.1 ports. 3 PCI Slots. And can take an AMD Athlon XP chip.
    cost €76.74
    RAM - 256MB Generic RAM
    cost €74.15
    CPU - AMD Athlon XP 1900+. Plenty for playing games for the foreseeable future?
    cost €95.16
    Cooler / Fan - Cooler Master CPU Fan for up to XP 1900+
    cost €12.28
    PSU - Chieftec 200W M-ATX PSU
    cost €35.61

Total cost approx. €294 ex. VAT. Good value I think for getting a PC right up-to-date (well, close enough to anyway).

I already just bought an 80GB IBM Deskstar ATA-100 drive. And existing bits and pieces are perfectly sufficient.

Any other recommended (or essential) parts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

where did you get the mini-atx case in the first place??

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DC

Gateway 2000 Celeron box from about 3 years ago. I don't think it was that popular an option. My sister went for it and I kinda ended up with it when my PIII 450MHz PC ended up as an office server.

I can get hold of a larger ATX box, but I want to take the old motherboard from the M-ATX case and put it into a pal's desktop PC (upgrading him from 133MHz to 400MHz). I'm assuming his old PC case will take it. For him its a significant upgrade.

Advertisement