Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

List your C64 favourites

• 10-11-2002 8:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I'd like to know what was the top 5 C64 games that previous owners liked the best? Incidently I found the 1987-1989 period the best.

My old favourites are:

1. Pitstop II (a cool race game with 2 players - the cpu was easy to beat).

2. Cauldron (Never completed, really tough, but cool music/graphical - for it's time of course!)

3. S.E.U.C.K (Shoot 'Em 'Up Construction Kit - Not really a game but you would spend a lot of time creating cool clones). The Amiga conversion was rubbish - sniff.

4. The Sentinel (A weird one - Think 3D Chess board with your piece trying to avoid capture whilst trying to claim the Throne of the Sentinel - on the highest square. A decent attempt at 3D).

5. Defender of the Crown - This was class, a medival war game with knights and men - Hold England against the Normans.

... and Bubble Bobble of course!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

In no particular order....

1. Creatures I/II
    2. Paradroid
    3. Sacred Armour of Antiriad
    4. Hunters Moon
    5. Armalyte
    6. The Untouchables
    7. Flimbo's Quest
    8. Mayhem In Monsterland
    9. IO
    10. Retrograde

I could keep going......

- Dave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Favs would be ..... (out of 600+ gonna be tough)

Supremacy
    Commando
    WonderBoy
    PaperBoy
    Last Ninja series
    Mayhem in MonsterLand
    Creatures 1/2
    Bubble Bobble
    NewZealand Story
    The Untouchables
    Blue Max
    Hacker 2
    Platoon

and I KNOW there are others that I just can't remember right now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Silkworm
    Barbarian (loved when the lil guy kicked the head)
    IK + (bouncing balls from HELL)
    Bubble Bobble
    New Zealand Story
    Wonderboy
    Turrican (and some 4 pk by same makers)
    MIssion IMpossible (tho never had a clue what i was doing)
    Batman (the old tv series version)
    Midnight Resistance
    Commando
    Predator
    Flimbos Quest
    Soccer game on cartridge
    SEUCK
    Salamander
    R Type
    umm and some more i cant think of.

Kdja

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Was Supremacy a war game on the C64? I'm probably thinking of an Amiga title with the same name. Just reminded of three others (yes 5 was too short!!): Jumpman and Fort Apocalypse and Escape!.Even Older but still very enjoy. I couldn't believe I played those without saving. Imagine! Two hours into it and i) craaash! ii) power goes iii) real life interrupts. Yes I was naive. But strangely option i) was never a problem then. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

1. Laser Squad
    2. Paradroid
    3. Racing Destruction set
    4. The Sentinel
    5. Elite.
    My PC/PS2 etc. will never be able to capture the same levels of excitement which my old C64 used to bring...
    (Although Vice City is a close second!) :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Flimbo's Quest obviously.

Plus the rest of that cartridge that came with later c64's.

head over heels, 1943, midnight resistance and bionic commando were all excelent games.

Head over Heels -sigh! A different tune for the 7 "worlds". My favourite world one was the Jungle world with it's accomplying tune: dumpa -rumpa- dumpa.... I loved the way Heads and Heels would have to split up and work out a different route. Remember that came in a collection called the Magnificent Seven.. (one of which was ruubbish - A Stylone Movie Ripoff platform game - uuughh! - can't remember the name though - thankfully!)

dumpa -rumpa- dumpa

that reminded me of another classic, Congo Bongo.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Originally posted by hamster
    Was Supremacy a war game on the C64? I'm probably thinking of an Amiga title with the same name.

Yes It was published by Virgin for the C64, Amiga and I currently enjoy the odd game on the PC:) It's public domain now and I recommend anyone to grab the PC version of it at the underdogs (note:Sound isn't as good as the Amiga version;) )
    but since it's a c64 thread....get the c64 version here

DiscoStu that was an excellent cartridge! It came with Klax and Fiendish Freddy and another that slips my mind:)
    For anyone interested in C64 Carts (Like Me) This site
    http://www.mayhem64.co.uk/main.htm is an excellent place to start building up your collection.(Kairo, Ronan|Raven as far as I'm aware c64 games are pretty much PD at this stage. However feel free to remove links as you see fit;) ) By the way if you want to run the carts use ccs64 and cartridge option on the main menu...

Right on to my favorite games....
    1.Turrican II (Rainbow Arts)
    2.Batman Vs Joker (Ocean)
    3.Bombjack II (Bally?)
    5.Spy Hunter (Midway)
    6.Ikari Warriors (Elite)
    7.The New Zealand Story (Ocean)
    8.Bobble Bobble (Taito)
    9.Grysor (Ocean)
    10. Navy Seals (Ocean)
    List is endless.....
    Pointless Trivia: Shoot 'Em 'Up Construction Kit was created by Sensible software the blokes behind the almighty Cannon Fodder,wizball and Sensible Soccer

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

No Order.

1. Captain Blood
    2. The Dizzy Series (Codemasters - Tonnes of them)
    3. Shadow Of The Beast
    4. IK+
    5. Jack The Nipper 2
    6. Turrican 2
    7. The Black Lamp
    8. Untouchables
    9. Spellbound + All other 'Magic Knight' games
    10. Flimbo's Quest
    11. Last Ninja 2
    12. Cauldron II - Playing as the pumpkin (II) beats playing as the witch (I) who you actually have to defeat in the sequel. Great roll and bounce shinanigins.
    13. Ghostbusters (I dont know why but when marshmallow man started crushing all the buildings I used to get severe adrenaline rushes and sometimes even scared!)
    14. Jack The Nipper 2
    15. Phantom Of The Asteroids
    16. Dan Dare: Pilot Of The Future
    17. Platoon
    18. Renegade (Better on the Spectrum)
    19. Kane
    20. S.E.U.C.K (Me and AngelWhore made some cracking games back then)
    21. Spy v Spy 1, 2, 3 etc

Many more...
    The ammount of tapes in my attic make remembering classics hard for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

In no particular order.

- Turrican 1&2
    - Last Ninja 1,2,3
    - Boulderdash 1,2,3,4 (especially 1, best game ever)
    - Way of the Exploding Fist
    - Microprose Soccer
    - Jumpman
    - Impossible Mission
    - Yie Ar Kung Fu
    - Ace
    - Rubicon
    - Ghosts n' Goblins
    - Creatures 1&2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Hamster: A Stylone Movie Ripoff platform game - uuughh!

That was probably Cobra... A terrible game!

12. Cauldron II - Playing as the pumpkin (II) beats playing as the witch (I) who you actually have to defeat in the sequel. Great roll and bounce shinanigins.

Cauldron II frustrated the hell outta me! :) I could never quite control the baby pumpkin. I didn't get far in that one. Cauldron I was very tricky but was do-able. Jump from platform to platform but sometimes you had to be right at the end of one and more often than not... the old bag would go head first into the drink(ie. lava). Favourite level there was the crypt that had ambience and all.

I remember a wity poem was in the cassette cover that had a nice ring to it ... totally gone from memory now of course. Sold the tapes/floppies you see... sniff!

The Intro tune was cool but nothing did beat (or did it ?!?! :) ) that crazy "Parallax" tune done by Hubbard... I think.

International Soccer was the last game on the cart. were there many game on the c64 cartridge format?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Originally posted by DiscoStu
    International Soccer was the last game on the cart. were there many game on the c64 cartridge format?

Absolutley! check out the 2nd link in my last post. The c64 console was a flop but they still produced a large number of games for the system. Ocean brought out some great games like pang, Robocop2 and navy seals. I've collected most of cartridge images available for the system but still have a few to go:) (The site above is a great start) I'm currently trying to find the original cartridges themselves and it's tough going....I've got loads at jumble sales and markets but I rarely get the bloody box's:(
    Actually if anyone has carts they don't want (and I don't have) i'd be very greatful to get them! I'd be willing to pay cash depending on their rarity and condition I'd put this request on the wanted board but it would probably get more attention here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

No particular order:

Impossible Mission
    Ghost n' Goblins
    Rambo First Blood P. II
    Spy Hunter
    Tapper
    Staff of Karnath
    Entombed
    Blackwyche
    Beach Head
    Raid Over Moscow