Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lazer eye surgery - biggest regret of my life

• 10-11-2002 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

this is a very flawed technology - i have learned the hard way- DO NOT DO IT. its too late when it goes wrong and it will eat up your life with regret

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭stephenjudge

Please tell us more about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

I was thinking of getting it done. I'd been to my optician a while back, he is a sound guy he did tell me that you don't hear a lot of the failures. And you do hear a lot of success stories.

Please tell us what happened to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

Originally posted by quive
    this is a very flawed technology - i have learned the hard way- DO NOT DO IT. its too late when it goes wrong and it will eat up your life with regret

Tell us more about your experience.. i just got new contact lens and was asking the optician about it.. she said there is 90% success rate and they want your eyesight to have stayed the same for at least a year..

My cousin has one eye done atm.. shes waiting for the 2nd but she hasnt had any problems yet
    Ill probably get it done when im old enough too

• Registered Users Posts: 20 quive

civilservant;
    the reason you dont hear a lot about the failures is because it is very depressing, a sense of profound regret, with everything all day being a reminder. coming to terms with it is like a berevement - private and emotional. you become opbessed with seeing, remembering how it used to be and worrying about the future.
    I have no doubt that it should be outlawed, but i am in the middle of it and i cant shout about it as I depend on the 'experts' who did it to help me as much as they can.
    I had shortsight, -4 in both eyes, had one done by prk & lasik (twice) still not good - cant read, cant work very well, depressed about it.
    they tell you you man not have perfect vision, they dont tell you until it goes wrong that there are other things besides long & short sight - i now have a seven o clock double ghost image on everything i see, makes reading difficult & slow. I now wear contact lense AND glasses all the time. I could never wear contacts in the past but bow i have to.
    Just forget it, the modern cantact lenses i found out about a minth ago can be left in for a month and are a great option. my life is ruined, i reckon i wont be able to drive soon.
    quive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Biffa Bacon

There is a natural method of eyesight improvement called the Bates Method. It basically centers around just allowing your eyes to relax, don't try and "force" your eyes to focus properly. I've tried it a bit and while I haven't seen huge success I think this might be due to the fact that I wear glasses most of the day and this negates any positive effects.

I do however find it extremely useful for getting to sleep. I watch telly for about an hour before I go to bed without my glasses on but without trying to really focus on it. I can't see jack shït but it does give me a very pleasant drowsy feeling! quive, you might want to look into it if you're worried about your eyesight.

• Advertisement

thanks biffa, got a web link?

anyone thinking of lazers should spend a few hours at this site

http://www.surgicaleyes.org/

I found it after my surgery, pity
    there are some revealing things here
    my surgeon proudly tells me i have 20/20 vision, that means nothing it only measures one thing.

the complication i have here

http://www.surgicaleyes.org/GhostedEyeChart.htm

makes life a misery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Really sorry to hear about your misfortune. Hopefully they will invent some technique to cure your ailment. All the best.

thanks civilservant, but it cant be fixed, maybe a corneal transplant, but the damage is done,
    I'm not too bad, a friend in switzerland had BOTH eyes done, she was young, blonde, attractive, bubbly, - now almost blind, her life ruined,a shadow of her former self.
    Why risk all this for a promise - 90% success rate is not good enough. nor is 99.9%, DONT DO IT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

I was going to get it done on my left eye. Definately not now. You've saved one person. Danke!

danke
    i'm glad i 'saved you'
    i would only recomend it as non elective surgery where you have nothing to loose.
    its too serious a risk for cosmetic reasons

if you have 'regular' problems with long, short gightness etc- forget it. I would love to have my regular short sightedness back, life was so uncomplicated.

i dont have a day without regret

please pass on my 'boards' link yo anyone you know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭good vibes

im so sorry You Had to Go through that! i was goin to get it done,but im not now,i never did like the 99.99% Ratio, it doesn't make sense,it just gives these company's a get out clause,iv Changed my mind now thanks to you,i hope you can find something to help you....i think il get some contact lenses & invest in a designer Pair of glasses! i was never sure about getting Lazar Surgery done.well i am now!..thx so much for the info...take care...j

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Bizzare necro-thread...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement