Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MAME setup help required please

• 10-11-2002 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    Please forgive my ignorance but I need your help...
    I'm really looking for someone to help me set up MAME in DOS (I assume) on my PC (P2 - 300,96mbRam, 32mbvideo with TV out, TV, Invaders arcade cabinet...)

Only prob is - anything I've tried so far has been crap - mainly because of >me< and my lack of understanding etc.

William's (defender,robotron and pinball) stuff is where I'm most comfortable - but I'd love to set up one of my cabs to "properly" run mame.

What I want is:-)
    - to run mame (from DOS I assume) but I haven’t managed to do it properly on power-up of the pc...
    I don’t want to have to adjust the TV with the remote to S-AV3 etc., just want to have it running on startup.

What I can offer in return is an original cabinet with side art (it’s an invaders/galaxian type clone) or a standard jamma cab if you prefer!
    Several jamma pcb's and joysticks buttons... whatever you need to get your own cab going.

Please drop me a line if ou can help, and thanks in advance

Aidan.

quinliva@gofree.indigo.ie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

there is a WIN32 compile of MAME on the mame website called mame32 think its version 60 now (could be wrong)

Its a screen and all with options.

Kdja

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bugs

Just use advance mame or any of the mame win32 binaries. As DOS mame is pretty hopeless. Best way to be able to turn on your machine and just boot straight into mame rather than windows is do-able.
    I know this isn't a great help but i used to do it with bleem before, you could edit some config file and rather than actually load windows as the normal frontend when you boot up your machine, it loaded in whatever proggy you pointed it at.
    Unfortunetly, its late and i can't remember what it was i was editing as my interest in bleem was a long time ago.

If someone understands what i mean and can remember, enlighten me and everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

in win9x it involves editing the win.ini file and changing the shell=explorer.exe to whatever you want.

in nt/2k/xp its a bit more difficult as the shell= is stored in the registry and i cant remember the branch.

your best bet with dos mame is start writing batch files for each of your games and get dos drivers for all your kit, ie sound card, joystick and graphics card (for dos univbe or scitech display doctor will work wonders for most cards). then another nice batch file to be run from autoexec.bat that allows you to choose each game you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Try this thread Aidan http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=66513

Theres some links in there that may be of some help to you.

Advertisement