Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hibernation in Windows 2000

• 11-11-2002 12:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭

I'm running Windows 2000, and recently installed PGP (free version), not that I'm mega-over the top about privacy, but I wanted PGP Disk to keep private documents safe on a shared computer.

I usually use hibernate instead of shut down when switching off the computer, and it's been working great - fantastic not having to log on and wait for everything to start up when I switch the computer on.

But after installing PGP, I've had this error when i try to Hibernate the computer:

System Hibernation Failed
    The device driver for the 'ACPI\PNP0F03\4&f29db88&0' device is preventing the machine from entering hibernation. Please close all applications and try again. If the problem persists, you may need to update this driver.

Anyone have any ideas how to make Hibernation work with PGP?
    I'm running Win2k SP3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

Heres a total guess, but try disabling ACPI Power Management in the bios. That might do it.

Renton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

you'll end up with a unstable win2k install then, if it boots after ACPI is disabled.

I assume you rebooted the machine after installing PGP?
    You do realise that Hibernate just dumps the contents of ram in with the rest of the pagefile at close and just reloads it into ram at power on? - not trying to be condescending, just want to clear up an issue :)

Have you tried uninstalling PGP?
    If so, did it clear up the problem?
    Can you back up you stuff?
    Would you be on for a reformat+reinstall of Win2k?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Originally posted by SyxPak
    you'll end up with a unstable win2k install then, if it boots after ACPI is disabled.

I assume you rebooted the machine after installing PGP?
    You do realise that Hibernate just dumps the contents of ram in with the rest of the pagefile at close and just reloads it into ram at power on? - not trying to be condescending, just want to clear up an issue :)

Have you tried uninstalling PGP?
    If so, did it clear up the problem?
    Can you back up you stuff?
    Would you be on for a reformat+reinstall of Win2k?

Yeah - I rebooted, didn't hibernate, and yeah I know what hibernate does :).

Tried uninstalling PGP and hibernate works. No way up for a reformat & reinstall as this is a relatively new reinstall (August) and I couldn't go through it again so soon :D But the biggest reason is PGP might do it again.

I did a google search for that 'device' and while the whole lot turned up nothing, a search for the first two bits ('ACPI\PNP0F03) turned up a pile of stuff on the Microsoft PS2 Mouse driver (though none of any relevance to me :(). I'll try d/ling the latest MS Intellimouse driver and see if that works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

unmount the PGP drive, windows probably cant flush it like it can a normal hardware drive, so it wont hibernate with the risk of the drive being in an inconsistant state.

Duh! First thing I did :D

Seriously though, the drive is opened about once or twice a day and is set to unmount after 5 mins of idle time anyway.

Still have to download that darn driver.. oh the joys of microsoft.com :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

10 fecking Mb for a mouse driver?? This better work..

No joy at all.

On the plus side I still have a new MS IntelliMouse driver :rolleyes:

Advertisement