Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which one of these appeals to you????

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

Would look nicer in a sandwich

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Well I liked the look of the second one the best, but as it's not your preferred choice I would go with... number 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

The Mexican redknee.

As Tarantulas go it looks really nice (the second pic), and they're fairly docile. They take fairly well to handling (like the plain chilean rose), so they're best suited as pets. There are some more unusual loooking ones that can be imported from the US/South America, but the majority of them don't take well to being handled at all.

I haven't found anywhere in Ireland that still sells the Mexican Redknee, but you might want to check with some stores in the UK. I found a UK forum a while aago where a guy was selling baby ones for about £20 each, but for the life of me I can't remember the link.

They're not too common anymore though, so you'll probably only find Chilean Rose tarantulas here, which are the usual brown boring ones. There's a place in town that has reptiles and spiders (on the quays), they only sell the chilean rose AFAIK.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Yep that place on the Quays is McElerhons Reptiles and Ive been told that they can order from abroad for me if I want.
    The other option is Bugsdirectuk.com who ship to Ireland.Its about £3.50 sterling for the spider plus £6.50 shipping but again they only have the common ones in stock.
    Richie

I'm thinking of getting a Redknee myself, let me know if you do, and how you get on :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Koneko-McElerhons have RedKnees in stock at the minute.There are all spiderlings(half inch or so) and sex is not guaranteed.Thats the other problem Im having.I would prefer a guaranteed female as they usually live for about 30 years as opposed to a male which usually live for about 4 or so.
    Ring Tom McElheron on 01-6779060 and ask about the Red Knee(Brachypelma Smithi)He usually works on the latin names!!!
    Richie

Excellent, thanks for the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

the jet black one (3rd) is the nicest...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 NiN

I liked the second one too, I'm sure some of those spiderlings would be fill my archer fishes belly:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

there is a pet store in Enniskillen co.Fermanagh, i am not sure of the name but it is on the sligo road, and its speciality was Snakes and Spiders. Maybe it may be able to help you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

Hi,

I hate spider & creepy critters! but I know that Reptile Haven / Ben can get you anything you want he has a cute!!! orange tarantula thingy & a HUGE bird eating spider YUCK!!!!!!!!!

Reptile Haven is in Fishamble Street you will be able to contact him on Thursday to Sunday on 086-8740696

Hope this helps

Fayesy :cool:

>>>>>>>>>>>>UPDATE<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Ive located the Tarantula in which Im interested.Its the Brazil black http://www.boards.ie/members/hellrazer/brazilbk.jpg

Im hopefully collecting next week som time with all the necessary equipment--food,heat pad etc.And Ill post a pic when if I do.Thats if its not sold.Its a 2" spiderling and I went to check i out today.
    Has excellent markings--So jet black that it has a kind of blue colour off it and also seems to be fairly docile.Havent handled it yet---But the seller did.
    Im still not too sure if I ever will handle it.:eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Do those buggers have any vemon?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

theyd appeal to me if they were fightin each other, or maybe attacking some gerbils......

good, good......

At last I got the Tarantula.I collected it today and Ive just finished getting its enclosure ready.Its the black one and Im extremely impressed with the colouration etc.It also seems fairly calm.Although I still havent seen it eating.Will probably not eat for a day or two.
    Ill post a pic tomorrow if I get a chance.
    You wouldnt think that a spider would have so much setting up involved.
    Making that cage escape proof is a bitch of a task.
    :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

remind me to run away if i ever meet u on the streets ;););)

*yes i am one of those people with a phobia of spiders
    *no, nohting u say is going to change my mind ;)

They`re not that bad as spiders go.Its fairly cute.Like soft downy fur all over it.
    Mind you I wouldnt want to meet it on my own in a dark place.Apparently it grows to about 7 inches long. I wouldnt like to be cricket.

Well impressed I am.
    The tarantula just ate its first food for me today.
    Took 3 medium (2cm)crickets.Excellent to watch it hunt in its enclosure.It kind of likes to play with the food first-Usually cornering it then pouncing on it.And with one of them it actually stayed still(In its house--half a plant pot) until the cricket was within a cm or and then shot out at it like lightning.Excellent!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

*vomits profusely everywhere*

;)

ah im glad yer happy with it. my cat's managed to kill a mouse the other day. not pleasant. yeah, cats playing with their food is kind of evil. especially when they play with one of the family pets, like my cats have bene known to do with hamsters and birds.

how big is it? how big is its cage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭ondafly

well the black Brazil spider looks the best - and Id say you are well chuffed with it ! Not my piece of cake - wouldnt have the ballz to go near one ! But the fact that they live for 30 years is cool !

• Advertisement

Originally posted by thedrowner

how big is it? how big is its cage.

Its body is about an inch and a half long but they`re usually measured by legspan--so its almost 2.5 inches in size.
    Its cage which is an old aquarium is 11x12x20 inches(Height x width x length)Which should be okay till it reaches 4 inches or so.Then I have a 4 ft one to put it into.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Sorry to drag up an old thread but I'm curious to know how you're getting on with your new pet.

Where exactly did you buy in the end (Spider equipment etc.) and how much did it set you back.

Originally posted by Bluehair
    Sorry to drag up an old thread but I'm curious to know how you're getting on with your new pet.

Where exactly did you buy in the end (Spider equipment etc.) and how much did it set you back.

Blue hair check out this thread :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=78126

Ive answered all your questions about the costs involved here.
    But as for the Tarantula its getting along excellently.It moulted for the first time on the 1-1-03 which was a fascinating thing to watch.Its also a good sign that the Tarantula is happy enough.It eats 2 crickets a day and has dug itself a massive burrow which involved shifting a huge amount of bedding(vermiculite)Any more questions just ask!!!!!!!Also when it moulted it grew by almost an inch.And its due another moult any day now since its abdomen is HUGE. It will need to shed again.

Richie

Advertisement