Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra Hard Drives

Options
  • 11-11-2002 2:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭

ATM I've got a 20GB hdd in my box running windows xp. In work I found a couple (4 actually) of 2-3.5GB drives that were destined for the bin. Windows XP is soon to be replaced by Win2K on my system but I want to fit at least one of the drives beforehand to back up my MP3 collection. Will winXP find and configure the new drive automatically (I'm wondering about Fat32 vs. NTFS)? Or will I need to monkey around with fdisk first?
    Further down the road I plan to fit another one of these drives and install LINUX (is that a dirty word in the MS forum?) for a dual boot system, any advice here would be most welcome too!
    Presumptious I know, but before anybody suggests a bigger hdd and partition magic, I tried that before and lost 2 years worth of MP3s when changing OS, not entirely Microsoft's fault, granted, but now I know my limitations!
    All IDE drives BTW.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Originally posted by milltown
    ATM I've got a 20GB hdd in my box running windows xp. In work I found a couple (4 actually) of 2-3.5GB drives that were destined for the bin. Windows XP is soon to be replaced by Win2K on my system but I want to fit at least one of the drives beforehand to back up my MP3 collection. Will winXP find and configure the new drive automatically (I'm wondering about Fat32 vs. NTFS)? Or will I need to monkey around with fdisk first?

No need for fdisk with xp. Set the jumpers correctly and XP should recognise the disk. If it isn't there, then go into the Computer Management Console and you can create a partition on the new drive in the Disk Management panel.
    Originally posted by milltown
    Further down the road I plan to fit another one of these drives and install LINUX (is that a dirty word in the MS forum?) for a dual boot system, any advice here would be most welcome too!
    [/B]

[Off-MS-OS-topic]Linux will handle it fine - get a distro like Mandrake 8+ that will handle the hard disk configuration easily.[/Off-MS-OS-topic]

Afaik, you will need to ensure you have sufficient IDE controllers to install more than two hard drives, especially if you have both two cd(-rw/rom)/dvd ide devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Thanks a million M8

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by dun_do_bheal
    [Off-MS-OS-topic]Linux will handle it fine - get a distro like Mandrake 8+ that will handle the hard disk configuration easily.[/Off-MS-OS-topic]

Red Hat 8 is also a lot better at this than previous incarnations

Advertisement