Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options re using LCD monitor for PC and XBox?

• 11-11-2002 1:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭

I'm considering getting a LCD monitor for my PC, but I would also like to use it with my XBox. I would love to get a 16:9 LCD monitor, but that's just silly money at the moment. However, I'm wondering if anyone here already uses their LCD monitor with an XBox or PS2, and how they are doing this?

As far as I can see there are three options:

1. LCD monitor with built-in s-video or similar connector.
    2. PC graphics card with s-video in, image displayed on LCD monitor.
    3. Separate s-video to VGA up-converter connected to the LCD monitor, possibly through a KVM switch if it doesn't have a VGA input also.

Option 3 is I feel the best, but I would like this opinion validated if possible. The reviews I've read and a friend's personal experiences seem to rule out 1, and 2 means having the PC on whenever I want to use the XBox (and a new graphics card!).

If option 3 is the best, then which piece of kit is best? I've seen scalers and up-converters mentioned, but scalers seem much more expensive. However, what's the quality of up-converters in general?

Finally, on a more general note, am I mad to want to use an LCD monitor to play XBox games? Is LCD a suitable technology for fast-moving images? I realise that some LCD monitors have pixel refresh rates of down to 20ms, but is this enough? What LCD monitor would be best?

Thanks,

Ciarán.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭GUI

Ciaran..
    lik-sang

sell vga boxes for the xbox..

so u can pick the tft ya want and not be constrained by looking for particular video ports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by ceejay
    snipped

Finally, on a more general note, am I mad to want to use an LCD monitor to play XBox games? Is LCD a suitable technology for fast-moving images? I realise that some LCD monitors have pixel refresh rates of down to 20ms, but is this enough? What LCD monitor would be best?

Thanks,

Ciarán.

I bought a Planar 19" TFT from Ebay for a good price. It has a response rate of 25ms (avg). I would say 25ms is good enough to play games on, perfect for the majority of games. The only game where it poses a problem is Quake3, due to the extremely high FPS it runs at. Youll also find that any smearing starts to clear up after about an hour of use, as the monitor "warms" up.

If you have a TFT in work, you should try loading up a few games on it to check the display (bearing in mind a its response rate).

Personally, I dread using CRTs for anything after using my TFT at home.

Matt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Im just after setting up my Prophetview 720 (15")
    With my Home Pc and im very happy with it. You do notice an increase in performance after the first 40-60 min's
    Blacks are very black, gran theft runs sweet, im happy!!!
    Now where to find the best converter for the PS2?
    any ideas, sites that actually have them in stock?

Ive found:

http://www.kanection.co.uk/page100.htm

scroll down to the vga bit!!
    looks good?
    but a bit pricy with Euros!!!
    any other site would be great!!!!
    thanks
    rabbit

Advertisement