Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs in heat

Options
  • 11-11-2002 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

At what age can a dog be to come into her first heat ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Can really depend per dog, but generally between 6 months to 18 months.

Usually between 7 and 9, but it's hard to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Nero

Is it breed specific? If it is then what about springer spaniels, I caught my dog mounting the pup next door yesterday and am not so sure I should tell the owner. I would guess that she is about 6 mths old.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Slosh

I have a Cocker Spaniel, and when she hit six months on the button - boom! She's going for her lil operation on wednesday... :(

<edit>
    Doh... Six months
    </edit>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

i would say the potential is there to breed from about 6 months onwards but truthfully i would wait untill about 12 - 18 months, truama for the animal and all of that,
    I know with my dogs at home, one of them is a bitch and when she goes on heat the other two goes banana's to the point that we have to put into a kennel untill she is off heat, she is always distressed during all of this as she is about two years and never took to breeding so we never thought anymore of it.

Advertisement