Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Squad V Greece

• 11-11-2002 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

Squad:

Given (Newcastle United), Kiely (Charlton Athletic), Colgan (Hibernian),

Kelly (Leeds United), Carr (Tottenham Hotspur), Finnan (Fulham), Harte (Leeds United), Breen (West Ham United), Cunningham (Birmingham City), O'Shea (Manchester United), Dunne (Manchester City), O'Brien (Newcastle United), Doherty (Tottenham Hotspur),

Holland (Ipswich Town), Healy (Celtic), Kinsella (Aston Villa), Carsley (Everton), Delap (Southampton), McPhail (Leeds United), Kilbane (Sunderland), Kennedy (Wolverhampton Wanderers),

Duff (Blackburn Rovers), Keane (Leeds United),
    Morrison (Birmingham City), Barrett (Brighton).

No big surprises there!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hmm, I'm not a big fan of David Connelly, but i think he's scored more goals in the last 2 weeks, than the rest put together!
    (Four in his last match i think?)

You'd think someone starting every game, and scoring, would come above say Docherty, who isnt even making the starting 11 at Spurs?

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Its a surprise if you count Duff as an attacker, surely this will not be the thinking of the future Ireland manager. I would have thought that Givens would rock the boat a little more, but he seems to be conforming to the exact same squad that McCarthy would have picked.

There were rumours that Givens was going to pick an eircom League player or two (which still might happen given the liklihood[IMO very likely] of pullouts), but with Connolly on top form, and Crowe struggling, this was never really likely. Still, we live in hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Given (Newcastle United)

Carr (Tottenham Hotspur),
    O'Shea (Manchester United),
    Dunne (Manchester City),
    Harte (Leeds United),

Healy (Celtic),
    Carsley (Everton),
    McPhail (Leeds United),
    Duff (Blackburn Rovers),

Keane (Tottenham Hotspur),
    Morrison (Birmingham City),

Try it out ya never know ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Humphrey

Like that team LizardKing especially the inclusion of Mc Phail and O Shea. I like the idea of putting Duff in his natural Position. Carr would also be a definite to me. Also it would be interesting to give Morison a go at this level.

H.

I know Carsley is playing well for Everton at the moement but he has consistently blown his chances at international level with crap performances.

Healy is definitely worth a try and once O Shea is picked, he will be a constant fixture, just don't expect him to get on the end of crosses!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Glad to see Carr back not a bad squad,feel sorry for Connolly due to the fact that he has scored Nine goals in his last three games.
    Glad to see no Mc Ateer or Babb, 2 down only Kilbane and Kennedy to go :)

Not a bad team Lizardking aldo i would prefer Finnian Left back to harte.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Given

Carr
    O Shea
    Dunne
    Finnan

Healy
    Holland
    McPhail
    Duff

Morrison
    Keane

Originally posted by Kone
    Given

Carr
    O Shea
    Dunne
    Finnan

Healy
    Holland
    McPhail
    Duff

Morrison
    Keane

Yea good team aldo i would have Keane in the middle for Holland,if that were to happen we would have a class team,with alot of them still under 25.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

My squad. Formation is basic 4-4-2.

(GK)Kiely

(RB)Kelly-(CB)Carr-(CB)O'Shea-(LB)Harte

Subs for Defence:Cunningham,O'Brien,Dunne.

(RM)Healy-(CM)Doherty-(CM)Kilbane-(LM)Duff

Subs for Midfield:McPhail,Holland,Kennedy.

Morrison-(F)Keane-(F)

Subs for Attack:Barrett.

Most of the squad mentioned are obvious choices. I know, however, you may disagree with the likes of Kiely, Kelly, Doherty and Kilbane. Tbh, Play Kiely. Great Keeper. Given is out of form. It's only a Friendly anyhow.

Kelly is included because of my Master plan(0_o)Do not question this.

Doherty's fast, tireless, can play in attacking or defensive situations. His tall too, always a great value.

Kilbane because he is a riode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

CCCP are you on crack?:)

hmm

Given

Carr O Shea Cunningham Finnan

Healy Kinsella Holland Duff

Keane Barrett

I think its worth giving finnan a try on the left for a friendly, likewise giving barrett a run before bringing morrison on later. Id probably start McPhail in place of either Kinsella or Holland since its a friendly, but they are the best central midfielders we have (apart from The Mayfield One of course).

Anyone suggesting Carsley or Kilbane could probably do with some medical attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Given

Carr - O'Shea - O'Brien - Finnan

Delap - Healy - Holland - Duff

Keane - Morrison

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I've just seen Graham Barrett injure himself in a nasty looking manner on News2...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Jake303

Given

Carr, Dunne, O Shea, Finnan

Kennedy, Healy, McPhail, Duff

Morrison, Keane

I reckon give youth a chance!

Thats why Id give Healy and McPhail a run together in the centre of midfield, Healys natural position for the Celts is in the centre of midfield, not that Martin O Neill seems to think so..........

If Dunne can stay off the sauce he may turn out to be a decent player so Id give him a go with O Shea to see how they combine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

Given,Finnan,Carr,O Shea,Harte,Healy,Holland,Kinsella,Duff,Keane Morrison.

CCCP how can you suggest putting Doherty in midfield, he has no touch is clumsy in the tackle and is fairly slow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

My first XI ...

...........................Given.................................

....Carr.....Cunningham....O'Shea.....Finnan...

....Kelly........Kinsella........Holland......Duff......

....................Keane......Morrison...................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Madness leaving Connolly out of the squad he has scored 7 goals in his past 2 games!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

have to agree about the connolly thing i mean i don't like him but anybody who is scoring that many goals has to be doing something right doesn't he......

anyway my first 11:

..........................................given....................................................

carr.....................o'shea..............................dunne..............finnan

.........................................kinsella..................................................

mcphail.......................................................................................duff

.........................................holland..................................................

...................morrisson..............................keane.............................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Nearly all same as mine but with Barret upfront with Keane1st half and Connoly and Morrision 2nd half.

me thinks thats the best pairings.

Middle i would go for Carsley if Mc Phail and Healy are in better kind of savage to help them get forward HOlland would just get lost in middle whereas Carsely you know where he is all the time.

kdja

yeah i see ur point but i think kinsella and holland are starting to build something together

actually i think i might put healy instead of kinsella now that i think of it

• Advertisement

Wouldn't disagree witht hat but I have to question the sanity of anyone who has included Lee Carsely in their starting 11.

true true - although he has been playing decently enuff for everton???

Carsley has been playing well for Everton but I still would prefer to see McPhail or Healy getting a game.

I stand by my selection. Kilbane was commendable on Sunday against Spurs. Doherty is tall, a major asset. Harte whipping them in from the left, Doherty getting to them would be a nice scenario.

I guess I included Doherty pretty much because of that. I wouldnt want to soley rely on Duff. Duff will be man marked to the ****ing hilt, remeber he got subbed off against Russia? Keane had to drop back into midfield to get the ****ing ball.

Oh Jesus CHRISt I';m COMING DOWNNNNnnn

Originally posted by CCCP^
    I stand by my selection. Kilbane was commendable on Sunday against Spurs. Doherty is tall, a major asset. Harte whipping them in from the left, Doherty getting to them would be a nice scenario.

I guess I included Doherty pretty much because of that. I wouldnt want to soley rely on Duff. Duff will be man marked to the ****ing hilt, remeber he got subbed off against Russia? Keane had to drop back into midfield to get the ****ing ball.

Duff was taken off because he was injured not because he was tightly marked,Doherty is a big donkey allah Tony cascarino who's only good if were a goal down and were lumping in high balls.

exactly sposs

Couldn't have said it better myself Sposs

unless u had done a little dance at the same time kone that would have been better

Here look, Doherty is not a "Big Donkey" you moron. There is nothing wrong with someone in the side with a bit of height. Whereas I can take critiscm for my inclusion of Doherty in my imagined line up, I ****ing wont take "Big Donkey". Cascarino was tall, so was Quinn. "Ben tall allows you a chance ta get too high balls with yer 'ead son!"

I'm not saying that Doherty is Pele. I didnt say he was a "Big Donkey" mind you. I would like to see him play at some point in the match, and prove your erroneous comment totally absurd.

Unlike Cas and Quinn however, Doherty isnt a striker solely. He plays Centre back with Tottenham. He could be in this position too. He is not some muppet we can lamp balls at if were a goal down and desperate. Christ almighty..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Have i missed something? Why has no one mentioned Steven Reid? He's the best choice for right wing.

Here's my first choice 11, not necessarily what i'd play in a friendly:

Fnnan, Harte, O'Shea, Cunningham
    Keane (i wish), Kinsella, Reid, Duff
    Morrison, Keane

I think O'Brien's good, but i wouldn't trust two youngsters in the centre of defence. Cunningham has been known to make big mistakes, but i think he's generally reliable. Dunne's another considerable choice. In the friendly I'd switch O'Shea and O'Brien at half time, I'd play Healy in the unfortunate absence of Keane, and hearing of Connolly's wild success recently, i'd start him up front instead of Morrison.

People need to stop bashing Harte. He's excellent going forward, and he's a bit of a terrier at retreiving the ball in scraps.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Barrett? Wtf?? Why?

Balfa Reid is injured at the moment that is why there has been no talk of him. I agree I think he would be worth a berth on the right side of midfield but I would like to see a little bit more of him before i commit myself to that. CCCp I don't mean to upset you but I am afraid I agree with the lads. I didn't earlier in the season but any time I have seen him play for Spurs in defence he has been ropey and he has given away at least one peno, and there should have been one more in the same match. He is too slow and clumsy in the challenge. Maybe more match practice will help get over that but I would not like to see him get that match practice with Ireland. I think the only way to play him now is as a big striker like we played Quinn and Cascarino. There is nothing wrong with that, they are two of the country's highest scorers, and two of the most capped players. Even if I am slightly ashamed Cas has reached such a prestigous level in our records after all most of his goals were off his knee/arse/shins!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

If you think Connolly should be in the squad then what about Alan Lee, current top Irish scorer in 1st division.

I'd love to see Keith O'Neill get back some sort of form also. BTW Finnan and Carr are both rightful's.

Given
    Harte, Dunne, O'Shea, Finnan
    Carr, Keane, Healy, Duff
    Keane, Lee

Originally posted by CCCP^
    Here look, Doherty is not a "Big Donkey" you moron. There is nothing wrong with someone in the side with a bit of height. Whereas I can take critiscm for my inclusion of Doherty in my imagined line up, I ****ing wont take "Big Donkey". Cascarino was tall, so was Quinn. "Ben tall allows you a chance ta get too high balls with yer 'ead son!"

I'm not saying that Doherty is Pele. I didnt say he was a "Big Donkey" mind you. I would like to see him play at some point in the match, and prove your erroneous comment totally absurd.

Unlike Cas and Quinn however, Doherty isnt a striker solely. He plays Centre back with Tottenham. He could be in this position too. He is not some muppet we can lamp balls at if were a goal down and desperate. Christ almighty..

Jaysus Relax CCCP^ Is Doherty related to you or something?

Ps. He's still a donkey ;)

Sposs, I hate it when people lash out at players, without actually naming faults(being tall is a asset!). Nm however /me kisses Sposs to death. We shall agree to disagree.

Aye Waylander. He could do with a loan or a transfer to a Club where he'd get some more first team football.

WTF is Keith O' Neill these days anyway? And Curtis Fleming.... 0_o Gills, I cant imagine a League of Ireland player ever getting capped in this century. Admittedly, I would love to see Lee, or any player from the Eircom league in the side.

• Advertisement

Ok Reasons i think Doherty is a donkey :

1. Lacks Pace both to chase back and defend and to beat people and score

2.clumsy at tackling gives away alot of frees and penaltys such as against man u two weeks ago,not his first penaly to give away and he was nowhere near the ball.

3.No skill,to control the ball or the release players around him with a cutting pass

4.Holds the ball up badly because he lacks the skill of another big man like quinn to efftively lay it off.

5.Heading,his best feature aldo not that good,he has played a good few times for Ireland and has only scored once,from a header of course.

6.He's ugly ;)

And thats why i think he can be officially called a Donkey

Q.E.D

Originally posted by Sposs
    Ok Reasons i think Doherty is a donkey :
    6.He's ugly ;)

Ah here now....

ah but he is - he is from the luke chadwick school of football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Gills, I cant imagine a League of Ireland player ever getting capped in this century

CCCP - Alan Lee plays for Rotherham in the English 1st Division. It just go's to show the level of footie knowledge on this thread.

Regards Doherty - did he not liven up the game against the Russians when he scored before McCarthy went 3 at the back and Babb scored the OG.

Originally posted by thegills
    CCCP - Alan Lee plays for Rotherham in the English 1st Division. It just go's to show the level of footie knowledge on this thread.

Regards Doherty - did he not liven up the game against the Russians when he scored before McCarthy went 3 at the back and Babb scored the OG.

Ah tbh Gills, apoligies for not knowing Lee played for Rotherham. Where has my mind gone, when I cannot accurately place obscure player with obscure club. Previous statement still standing however.

Scored against the Americans in the friendlies coming up to the World Cup did our man Doherty. Thats two so.

• Advertisement

Even taking those two goals into account, he rarely plays up front for Spurs now, and since Robbie Keane has been signed is even less likely to feature there. I do think he would have a role to play if he was playing week in week out, especioally as he gives us a different arttacking option that none of the others can, but I just dont like the idea of playing him now.

Well Crowe looks set to start on Wednesday as he is now the only decent striker in the squad, so enjoy the humble pie. And that goes for a few more of you as well.

Squad-
    Given (Newcastle United), Kiely (Charlton Athletic), Colgan (Hibernian), Finnan (Fulham), O'Shea (Manchester United), Dunne (Manchester City), Doherty (Tottenham Hotspur), Breen (West Ham United), Cunningham (Birmingham City), Delap (Southampton), Holland (Ipswich Town), Carsley (Everton), McPhail (Leeds United), Healy (Celtic), Houlihan (Shelbourne), Partridge (Coventry City), Quinn (Coventry City), Crowe (Bohemians).

Connolly has put the bullet in his International career without a doubt. Noice Wan Sal for including Glen Crowe!

Originally posted by thegills
    If you think Connolly should be in the squad then what about Alan Lee, current top Irish scorer in 1st division.

Totally agree with you mate! Lee has scored 11 goals in the 1st division this season and well deserves his chance. We have very few fit recognised strikers for the match on Wednesday night, so why not give Lee a chance??

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

I'd like to see Ritchie Partridge getting a run, as for Connolly I doubt very much myself that he refused to play. He did come off injured against Walsall on Saturday.

He may not be the greatest striker that we have but I have never doubted his commitment to Ireland and he shows a good deal more of it than Robbie Keane when he is playing.

He shows this commitment by kicking a member of the opposition in the head in a play off match for qualification for a major tounament within five minutes of coming on a s a sub. Don Givens gave a general idea of the conversation last night and it was Connolly throwing a strop that he would never have thrown if Ireland had a permanent manager. I hope it is the end of his international career, he is a first division striker and it is all he will ever be as he proved when he went to Holland.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

Obviously anything we say here is just conjecture but in my view having read the statements from Given and Connolly I feel that the more likely situauion is that Given became frustrated by the amount of players pulling out of the squad and Connolly got the brunt of it, I honestly can't see him declining an offer to play for Ireland.

Whether he is good enough is another matter.

As for the head kicking incident ( that I honestly can't remember) I'm confused as to how it relates to his level of commitment to his country.

Originally posted by Waylander
    He shows this commitment by kicking a member of the opposition in the head in a play off match for qualification for a major tounament within five minutes of coming on a s a sub. Don Givens gave a general idea of the conversation last night and it was Connolly throwing a strop that he would never have thrown if Ireland had a permanent manager. I hope it is the end of his international career, he is a first division striker and it is all he will ever be as he proved when he went to Holland.

Waylander, I cant remember this kicking incident either. Anyway, no, Connolly isnt a top class striker, but he is one of Irelands best forward players. We're not blessed with a huge talent of goal scorers, so why do you hope to end the international career of a half decent player?? Its not like we have queues of quality players available to take his place!

exactly ciano i mean we have Keane - morrisson - doherty (haha don't make me laugh) and that is about it with premier league strikers so where do u go next to find players???? the first division the next league down thats where and who is playing well in that division at the moment???? thats rite uve guessed it David Connolly so give him a break ok

Maybe it was not a headkicking but he did get sent off against Belgium in a playoff for France 98. But fair enough you are right saying this doeas not demonstrate a lack of commitment, I just do not understand people questioning Robbie Keanes commitment. He runs his heart out in every match I watch and I think he gets alot of undue criticism. As regards Connolly, despite his scoring record I just do not rate him. I would rather see the likes of Graham Barrett, even though he is relatively untested, in the squad then Connolly. this Lee guy is outscoring him in the same division so why not give him a go. Also there was Dominic Foley, at watford a couple of seasons ago not sure if he is still there, but maybe he is worth a go too. There are always other options out there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement