Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone out there use Staredit much?

Options
  • 11-03-1999 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭

I was just wondering if any of you lot put maps together and if you do, do you use triggers/switches much?

Also , for the rest,

What makes a good map for you?
    A lot of resources?
    -all bunched together?
    -spread out evenly?
    -scattered 'randomly'?

Are symmetrical maps favourites?
    Maze-like maps?
    open plains?

How big should a map be? To counter starting rushes a big map is good but it means a lot of build up time before the real kicking of racial bottoms begins in earnest.

How many players is the preferred amount? Allied or just a huge stitch/free for all?

Would you use map settings if they were present? Would you prefer them to be optional? Would it be better if they weren't there at all...

basically, any suggestions? I don't know about the rest of people but I would prefer to make maps that people will enjoy playing. I'm also toying with the idea of recreating historical battlefields. Imagine a zerg/human battle of Canae, or a 'crossing of the Alps' except this time with Ultralisks.

smile.gif

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

I dislike symmetrical maps. While there should be an even distribution of resources at the starting points, I like a bit of radomness after that.

You know what size maps Imp, Bramble,Grayson and I like.

I like a mixture of valleys and open areas...too many vallies and you just get annoyed, too much open space, not defensible enough.

that's my 2 euro cents

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Well, I have a test map ready to go for you lot to try out on Friday. Shouldn't take too long, and I even put in a zerg side for you..

Only thing is, it's a bit on the small side (128 x 128).

Does anyone know if you can copy and paste in Staredit or if you can resize .scm s ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭DeViant

Yea Lolth,
    I agree with Draco,
    Symmetrical BAAD!!!

Triggers can be good , but sorta annoying.
    We used to do scenarios like A&B Vs C&D
    But if A or C looses 40% of their forces, Their Team Looses.
    Or Rescue missions, that kinda thing.But it didnt last long, it was only really for testing the Map Editor.
    smile.gifsmile.gif

Good point, but I want to start a sort of multiplayer campaign (of sorts) that tells a story. So, I want to use triggers to run an AI.

Also, every battle in history (I'm pretty sure) had unforeseen circumstances or occurrances. Triggers can simulate that, a timer that kills any unit in a small location (seemingly random) to simulate debris from an asteroid field, or casualties to air units to simulate acid atmospheres. But also to make areas of strategic advantage and create focal points for the map , other than the centre - how about a teleporter off to one side with no resources beside it. A 'Medic Station'/repair bay? A temple that boosts the power of a unit (been done already I think), or one shot shrines that give bonuses. Vespene geysers that appear after time lapses (makes expansion more 'exploratry'). It also adds an element of luck to the battle, which after all is one of the deciding factors in any conflict.

Yea, Symmetry bad (except in certain scenarios), too easy to dominate an area.

The maps I want to do are really just once-off maps (use the map settings the first time you play and afterwards they become standard multi-player), and the result of each one will determine the shape of the next map to be made. Players get to choose their force (Draco's already jumped on Red Zerg) and the retain that force throughout the campaign.

When I have the first few done I will most likely post them on my website (Still under construction- a different one from before) and hopefully include a seperate readme section for results from our own playtests so others can compare how they fared (maybe even send an opinion.)

righty,

Back to work......

smile.gif

Hey! I resemble that remark! tongue.gif

It's not my fault they die, they do it to themselves (or each other as the case may be). And anyway, that destruction (when it is me) is far from random. (Draco! - Tremble in fear!!!)

hmmmm, Temple starcraft.. marines only (one marine per person) against, Mutalisks , Hydralisks, Archons, Goliaths. Now THAT would be fun to watch! (but maybe not to play, unless you used heroes. There's a script somewhere for 'experience development' I think..) Draco, Blame DeViant for the evil idea this time. (see? I'm innocent!)

J.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Considering what we usually come up aginst, it's more like broodlings versus ultradisks and seige tanks. and you are the root of all evil. Deviant is an innocent little soul....

On the random destruction, can you not just launch a few nukes at an area?

Draco

Draco, I'm a Dictator-In-Training
    just Like Pitr!!!
    wink.gif

Baz

I'm innocent I tells ya!

Anyhoo,

As far as I know, While Staredit does give you the option of installing a nuclear silo on the map, it does not give you the option of placing a nuke as a unit (probably to do with the ghost launchiness of the things) I suppose it would be like trying to Psychic storm an area without Templars. (would be impressive if it worked though). Now, seemingly Stardraft (an editing program that makes a patch for Starcraft image and sound files and a few other things) lets you select nukes as entities in the editing screen. It also lets you switch weapon types for units (not sure if I'd like that though a flame-tank could be interesting, or maybe the amazing one-night-only exploding a la infested terran ARCHON!!!) But I'm not sure I'd like the idea of monkeying around with patches (or any other animal who's name would fit before around for that matter). Pity, 'cos I have some excellent .wav files (the Mutalisk could be made to say 'Do I make you Horny?' or the firebat could 'love the smell of napalm etc...')

Anyway, despite what you may think (and the most important word there is MAY. Did you ask my permission?) Nukes would be too destructive. I'd be talking about small areas and seemingly random timing so that a player would be unlucky to lose a unit, but it would still be a possibility.

Oh and you're wrong about DeViant. Innocent (well if you mean childlike I'll give you that one), little (Hah!), soul?? (nope sorry I already own that. He swapped me for a smartie. I was robbed). smile.gif

And a nice smartie that was too,
    but I dont have a soul, I was born with a piece of foolscap for a soul, but it blew away in a freak gust of wind (God Farted)
    Its all soggy somwhere in Limbo.

haha,So you intend to use SC for what it was ripped off from, Electronic 40k!!!

I think the Idea of an ongoing "Crusade"/Scenario is what Blizzard had in mind with releasing their map editor with the game (Kewl Move). It definitly gives more life to the game.

You could basically created a new expansion pack, but for multi player this time.
    "Lolth's Crusade" ;P
    Vury Inturusting, eh?
    But the "Random Destruction" is just far too much like you and temple, sorry.
    :O

Baz

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Glad someone else spotted the grand larceny that is Starcraft stealing Warhammer 40K (I mean they even have Dark Eldar and they're brand new!!!). curlydav.gif

Anyway - I'm looking at the editor too - it's very nice to use in comparison to Quake ones, but of course, it's a totally different game.

I can't offer much on what and where for maps, but hey... it's a learning process. curlydav.gif

Don't be afraid to post up a map even if you think it's a bit crappy - the feedback can only help.

All the best,

Dav
    curlydav.gif

[This message has been edited by Kharn (edited 20-03-99).]

Advertisement