Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird problem, mystery solution

• 11-11-2002 11:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭

I consider myself to have had a huge let off today. I was checking some old hard drives I found in work bound for the bin. They all checked out okay but when I returned my system to it's former glory disaster struck. When I hit the power button the fans came on and the hard drives spun up but I got nothing on the screen, not even the bios. The monitor would blink before returning to the self test message.
    Fearing my graphics card had shat itself I went to PC World, who were kind enough to take it in and offered to test it for me when they got a chance. When I went back later on I was told it worked fine (they did this for free! Cheers John in service). Happy that I didn't need to fork out c.€300 for a new card I went home and put it back in. This time when I tried to power up nothing at all happened.
    Jaysus said I, my PSU or my mobo must be the culprit. Checked the PSU with the meter and all was well. Checked there was power going to the pins for the on/off switch, there was. Prodded around the mobo blindly looking for voltages wherever they could be found before finally admitting defeat. One last prod at the button and... IT LIVES!
    Everything's good again but I'm utterly baffled as to why. My only guess is that a static charge somewhere was ballsing things up and that while poking around with the meter I earthed it and cleared the pipes, as it were. Does this sound at all likely or can anybody offer any other theories?

Advertisement