Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2.ie - Location based Services?

• 11-11-2002 11:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭

Anybody else tried these out?

http://www1.o2.ie/products_services/location_services
    Had some problems signing in earlier from college, but now it seems to be OK (as fast as o2.ie gets....)

Tracking seems to be fairly accurate in the City (had my location right to a few metres), but further out in the suburbs it's hit-or-miss.

It'll be interesting to see if this takes off.

Sorry if it's been posted before, I only noticed it earlier. (O2.ie's MMS section seems to be worknig now too)

[edit] Fixed the URL [/edit]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Rumblefish

The Buddy Finder thingy is great, but only seems to work on other O2 phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Not going through Mapflow, for the mapping data, anymore it would appear. Interesting...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Hmm, i could swear that when i read the T&Cs yesterday it didnt mention accessing it over the internet, now it specifically mentions a charge of €0.11 per result returned over the web.

Oh well, shan't be using THAT again :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Yep, it's 11 cents per query no matter what the interface. Only works with O2 phones because Vodafone won't be introducing it until January at the latest. Interoperability probably won't arrive until sometime after that.

Marvellous tool for suspicious partners...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

and the most important part of the T&Cs:
    11.4 You may opt out of a community at any time by sending the words 'Buddy search autoloc off' by SMS to short code 51400.

this flexibility was a big deal for the e911 implementation in the US, where if a person calls the emergency services from a cell phone by law they have to be locatable within X meters (roll-out date keeps drifting though) - the civil liberty groups were lobbying that access to the owner's location could be switched off to everyone (bar the emergency services) when the user required

Brian G

• Advertisement
Advertisement