Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2600.ie

Options
  • 12-11-2002 1:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭

We're trying to organise a 2600 meeting (do not know of any in dublin , if there is please drop me a line)

everyone and anyone welcome no matter what the background

beginner or guru, let's make it happen

Site is here and mail 2600.ie@hushmail.com for any details you might want or information about it.

basically anyone interested in technology, communications, telecomms and computers should come along , and we'll probably hit a pub and share knowledge , meet new friends and get pissed.

Anyone with knowledge in any field should mail, as we are only starting out and we can all learn off of each other.

Every meeting will have a friendly atmosphere and everyone is respected no matter what your status.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

The mailto: link is b0rked in your cross-posted spam.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ah, its on topic for the areas he posted to and its non-commercial.

Even though I've been involved enough with various groups to view such meetings with dark glasses, he's not stepping out of bounds and he has involved himself in other posts (non-2600) related.

Personally I often worry about the true motive of todays "hackers" (and I use the term in its *original* meaning) is. In the Berkley-Unix days it was an honest to God desire to change the world. Now, all too often its leet 16 year olds trying to scrawl "I r teh w1n" on other peoples websites.

Good luck to theciscokid if his intentions are honourable but the whole "secrecy" thing (like meeting at phone boxes... eh?) puts me off.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

well Devore you are entitled to your opinion and i respect that..

the reason the meet in the "general area" of the phones on wicklow street is that it's keeping with the tradition of (meet at the phones) 2600 meetings the world over,

you should come along

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

Ahh, the next generation...

There have been at least 4 iterations of 2600 meets in Ireland that I know of (probably a few (dozen) more).

The Irish meets used to be listed in the back of the 2600 magazine but people preferred to have the meet on a Saturday rather than a Friday evening (especially with people travelling to Dublin for it). Apparently, or AFAIK, the 2600 people didn't like this and stopped publishing the Irish meet's details because it wasn't on a Friday.

The first meet I went to would've been in December 98, it was in Doyles pub, accross from Trinity. Everyone there was from DALNet. There were a few more in different net cafe's but the cafe's didn't really like it and I remember one in Templebar that became "Over 21s" for a whole Saturday afternoon :)

Last one I went to would've been about 3 years ago. Met up outside the central bank and went into the Foggy Dew (I think). I know various people have tried organise them since but I don't know how successful they've been.

Search the ie.comp and ie.general archives on http://groups.google.com/ for "2600 meet" and you'll find a few posts about them. I can remember a few from "Firestart". :)

Despite being advertised on ie.* and even a mention on Joe Duffy's show (I think, and it was done as a joke) it was only a particular group of people from DALNet that went to them.

That's the brief error-ridden history of 2600 meets in Ireland, specifically Dublin. I don't think you need to worry about da F3Dz rounding you up tho ;)

Well dogs you sound like a man with a plan, come along, we don't have any function rooms or pubs hired out, probably just go to a pub and take it form there

we're just going to see what happens! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Originally posted by DeVore
    Personally I often worry about the true motive of todays "hackers" (and I use the term in its *original* meaning) is. In the Berkley-Unix days it was an honest to God desire to change the world. Now, all too often its leet 16 year olds trying to scrawl "I r teh w1n" on other peoples websites.

Yeah, but that's not what 2600 is about, even if you will attract a few of those guys. From the tone of the post, I'd be optimistic about theciscokids's motives at least ...

Good luck to theciscokid if his intentions are honourable but the whole "secrecy" thing (like meeting at phone boxes... eh?) puts me off.

Tradition, as he points out, and those particular phone boxes are very apt imo, cos Tower is the only place I know of at least where you can buy 2600 around here.

The main problem from what I could see with the earlier incarnation that I'm semi-familiar with, was finding somewhere where a mixed group could hang out. The younger ones wouldn't always get into a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

The mailto: link is fixed in your cross-posted spam.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭spod

Originally posted by dogs
    That's the brief error-ridden history of 2600 meets in Ireland, specifically Dublin. I don't think you need to worry about da F3Dz rounding you up tho ;)

A quick google shows the first mention of the first dublin 2600 meet on the 3rd of May 1995.

(At that stage Tower had been stocking blacklisted 411 and 2600 for at least a year because that's when I first bought them ;))

At first they were held in the Garden of Delight Cafe on Castle st. Dublin 2. That burned down, so they briefly moved to Bewley's on westmoreland st. (I think) before settling on The Forum Bar, Lord Edward st.

Sometime in 1998 the dalnet type meeting dogs mentioned started up. For a while the original 2600 meeting (now re-title I can't belive it isn't the Dublin 2600 meeting) and this new one ran vaguely in tandem (former on Mondays irregulary, and the latter on first Saturday of the month, Friday afternoons being awkward for school kids,) but the original meeting kind of fizzled out after a while.

I think the dalnet type meeting went through a couple of generations with different people organising them etc. before dying out. I think I last heard of a drinking session for old times sake a few months back which was jokingly called a 2600 by some.

Sigh. Those were the days, why when I were a lad etc. etc.

So anything tentative on the agenda for the new meeting?

You should get one of your da's laptops and bung a wlan card and pringle tube in it and do some warwalking, that's where it's at these days I hear.

So anything tentative on the agenda for the new meeting?

email me at theciscokid@hush.com and give some ideas,,

or the 2600 address on the site,

remember everyone will have input no matter how small , i just think it will be good to get everyone together thats interested and then we'll all sort it out where to go from there and then in the future see if we can find venues for the meetings,

i am only scratching the surface with my knowledge and i urge most people that read these boards to come along and share their knowledge with everyone else :)

Advertisement