Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Globalisation

Options
  • 12-11-2002 3:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭

Anti-globalisation protesters: It’s often claimed by these confused people (being diplomatic) that the gap between rich and poor is growing. Is this supposed to be a shock? Why is it automatically thought to be a bad thing? People who work hard or who know how to make use of certain advantages get rewarded. They reinvest their money wisely and overall standards rise. It’s trickledown theory and it is the only realistic solution to the problem of how to balance democracy with the individual’s freedom to make as much money as he wants. I'm a reasonable guy. I'll give anyone a chance but I’m still waiting for a half decent explanation why according to them, globalisation is BAD. Something more articulate than smashing windows would do for a start.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

If trickle-down theory worked in practise then there wouldn't be a problem. The numbers show it doesn't work. I'm not going to claim I know exactly the reasons why globalisation isn't nice but I assume it has something to do with the fact that some people just have all the power and don't want to share.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Turnip
    It’s trickledown theory and it is the only realistic solution to the problem of how to balance democracy with the individual’s freedom to make as much money as he wants.

The individual should only have freedom to make as much money as he or she wants while "playing" by a set of rules to ensure that capitalism is not exploitative - that the have-nots are not kept oppressed by the haves simply to ensure more favourable market conditions...which is often what we see happening.

Also, trickledown is not the only realistic theory. It is a theory designed by a culture who managed to rise to pre-eminence via the trickledown theory trying to claim that this is the best path for everyone else to follow because, hey, it worked for us.

The reality is that it didnt actually work very well for us, and its been a long and bloody struggle to get where we are today...which is far from ideal. Not only that, but the conditions which allowed trickle-down theory to work during western society's revent evolution no longer exist...meaning that there is even less reason to believe it is still an applicable model.

Perhaps what it boils down to is that some people are beginning to think that capitalism should have its limits, and that we should do something unthinkable like putting the welfare of humans and humanity first. Promoting sweatshops in poorer nations is not putting their welfare first. Its balancing profit against an argument that claims this hardship is a necessary step on the long road to well being - an argument I am unconvinced by.

I'm a reasonable guy. I'll give anyone a chance but I’m still waiting for a half decent explanation why according to them, globalisation is BAD. Something more articulate than smashing windows would do for a start.

Theres a multitude of reasons. Most often, the biggest opposition globalisation is that the "champions" of it almost - if not completely - all involved in predatory business practices, which are ultimately in no-ones interests except the company itself.

The welfare of society should not become subservient to capitalism. Capitalism should be a tool to allow society to prosper. Globalisation appears to be the exact opposite of that....that increasingly we see society's purpose being nothing more then to make capitalism work.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Anti-globalisation protesters: ItÂ’s often claimed by these confused people (being diplomatic) that the gap between rich and poor is growing. Is this supposed to be a shock? Why is it automatically thought to be a bad thing? People who work hard or who know how to make use of certain advantages get rewarded. They reinvest their money wisely and overall standards rise. ItÂ’s trickledown theory and it is the only realistic solution to the problem of how to balance democracy with the individualÂ’s freedom to make as much money as he wants. I'm a reasonable guy. I'll give anyone a chance but IÂ’m still waiting for a half decent explanation why according to them, globalisation is BAD. Something more articulate than smashing windows would do for a start.

More articulate than smashing a window? Try taking your head out of the soil and having a look. Here's a brief list of people who have serious issues with how the global political-economic system runs (and doesn't run) and the priorities it serves:

Oxfam , CAFOD , Focus on the Global South , Third World Network , World Development Movement , the EZLN (Zapatistas) , ATTAC ...

That's just off the top of my head, plus there's an endless amount of political parties, civil society groups and individuals around the world who don't have a handy web presence. And some fairly respected economists such as Joseph Stiglitz and Dani Rodrik .

Follow any of those links and you should find plenty of well thought-out and sourced argument, at least more well thought-out than your own contribution.

As DK points out, trickledown theory does not happen in practise, in fact the only proven way to achieve the effects of trickle-down is precisely the set of policies for redistribution and social supports that Reagan and Thatcher so eagerly dismantled in the name of economic freedom.

'Globalisation' (if you even accept that as an appropriate label for some very complex phenomena) is not a unitary process, so just about everybody can identify aspects of it that they would prefer to sustain and some they would prefer to be rid of. Does this mean that everybody is 'anti-globalisation'? No, that would be stupid; about as stupid as deciding that because as far as you can see you are doing pretty well out of what seems to be going on there's no need to change anything and anyone who disagrees is just a confused stick in the mud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

It’s often claimed by these confused people (being diplomatic) that the gap between rich and poor is growing. Is this supposed to be a shock? Why is it automatically thought to be a bad thing?

I actually had to re-read this sentence a few times, cause it is such a stupid (being diplomatic) thing to say.

You don't think a system that makes people who are all ready rich, richer and makes poor people even poor is a bad thing?
    People who work hard or who know how to make use of certain advantages get rewarded. They reinvest their money wisely and overall standards rise.

I always suspected that the Asian sweat shop workers, who work 16 hours a day for 50 cents (more than you have ever, or will ever work), were doing badly because of their poor investments on the stock market. Damn that Enron, it must have looked like such a better option than bread and water.

Globisation fails as a social/economic system because corportations don't give a flying fcuk about anything but making more money. The don't allow a trickle down system to happen in the first place, because they don't pay enough for there workers to spend casually, and they insist on Trade Free zones to produce the products in, which do not help the local areas they are based in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by Wicknight
    You don't think a system that makes people who are all ready rich, richer and makes poor people even poor is a bad thing?
    Correction: globalization makes rich people much richer, but it makes poor people richer as well (albeit not as rich as the rich people). But poor people still benefit from globalization. Just look at the benefits NAFTA has brought to Mexican workers.

If workers in the developing world aren't benefiting from globalization, why do they take jobs in factories? Why don't they stay at home on the farm? I agree that working conditions in many sweatshops need to be improved, but keep in mind that the conditions in domestically-owned factories in these countries are often even worse. The way to improve this isn't to ban foreign investment altogether. The governments of these countries, with UN encouragement, need to introduce proper rights for their workers.

If these anticapitalist protesters really wanted to improve things for people in the developing world, they'd focus their efforts on removing the obscene EU and US farm subsidies instead of fighting against free trade, the one thing that is actually helping the poor.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/eu/story/0,7369,802270,00.html
    Ms Hewitt told Labour's conference that the average cow in Europe received $2 (£1.30) a day in subsidies and other help from Brussels, twice the daily income of 1.2bn of the world's poorest people.

• Advertisement

If these anticapitalist protesters really wanted to improve things for people in the developing world, they'd focus their efforts on removing the obscene EU and US farm subsidies instead of fighting against free trade, the one thing that is actually helping the poor.

Er, plenty of people of ARE protesting about that. The Trade Justice Movement in the UK, which includes Oxfam, War On Want, ActionAid, CAFOD and many more, have been vigorously campaigning for the elimination of First World agrosubsidies. Their protests regularly attract thousands and they've been an important part of so-called 'anti-globalisation' protests ever since I've been following them.

Subsidies for First World farmers should certainly be reduced, redirected and in some cases eliminated, but that does NOT mean that 'free trade is the one thing that is actually helping the poor'. Developing countries must be allowed protect their own markets where necessary, just as today's rich countries did when they were developing. Liberalisation works when it's targeted and thought-out, not when it's applied willy-nilly and ignored by the rich when it suits them.

Originally posted by Meh
    Correction: globalization makes rich people much richer, but it makes poor people richer as well (albeit not as rich as the rich people).

Well, this is a very complex area, but I don't think that's correct. According to the United Nations Development Programme's 2002 report on the Least Developed Countries (LDCs):
    the incidence of extreme poverty is increasing in the LDCs as a whole. In the LDCs for which we have data, about 48 per cent of the population were living on less than $1 a day during 1965–1969, compared with 50 per cent during 1995–1999. This means that the number of people living in extreme poverty in the LDCs has more than doubled over the last thirty years, from 138 million in the second half of the 1960s to 307 million in the second half of the 1990s. The proportion of the population living on less than $2 a day was more or less the same in the second half of the 1990s as in the second half of the 1960s. This means that the number of people living on less than $2 a day in the LDCs has also more than doubled over the last thirty years.

As for the rest of the world, economies may be growing during the era of globalisation, but that doesn't mean they're growing because of globalisation. In fact, most of the world (and especially developing countries) experienced higher growth in the three decades after the second world war than they did after the mid-Seventies. The first period was characterised by what you might call national development projects, typically including policies on trade protection, import substitution and social protection; the second period is generally referred to as the era of globalisation, meaning liberalisation of trade and finance, expansion of international trade and production chains, and restructuring along free market lines. Maybe the conditions for the first type no longer exist, but it still produced better results.

Originally posted by shotamoose
    Well, this is a very complex area, but I don't think that's correct. According to the United Nations Development Programme's 2002 report on the Least Developed Countries (LDCs):
    And those "Least Developed Countries" are the ones which have the least foreign investment and the least free trade. These are the countries that globalization has had the least effect on. These figures just prove my point. The LDC economies depend on exporting raw materials. If foreign companies were able to invest in these countries and built factories there to process these raw materials, a greater share of the profits would remain in these countries.
    As for the rest of the world, economies may be growing during the era of globalisation, but that doesn't mean they're growing because of globalisation. In fact, most of the world (and especially developing countries) experienced higher growth in the three decades after the second world war than they did after the mid-Seventies. The first period was characterised by what you might call national development projects, typically including policies on trade protection, import substitution and social protection; the second period is generally referred to as the era of globalisation, meaning liberalisation of trade and finance, expansion of international trade and production chains, and restructuring along free market lines. Maybe the conditions for the first type no longer exist, but it still produced better results.
    Counterexample: this country.

Yep, and it's an exception to a general trend.

Originally posted by Meh
    And those "Least Developed Countries" are the ones which have the least foreign investment and the least free trade. These are the countries that globalization has had the least effect on.

On the question of having the least free trade, the UNDP report goes on to say:
    The fact that international relationships can play a major role in breaking the cycle of economic stagnation and generalized poverty has led some analysts to conclude that the key policy problem for LDCs is that they are not sufficiently integrated into the global economy. But this is a false inference. International trade is already of major importance in the economies of LDCs. During 1997-1998, exports and imports of goods and services constituted on average 43 per cent of their GDP. The average level of trade integration for the LDCs is around the same as the world average, and also almost the same as the average for the group of countries which have been identified in the recent World Bank report Globalization, Growth and Poverty as "more globalized developing countries". The average level of trade integration is actually higher than that of high-income OECD countries.

As for investment, certainly they get less than other countries, largely because they're extremely poor.

The LDC economies depend on exporting raw materials. If foreign companies were able to invest in these countries and built factories there to process these raw materials, a greater share of the profits would remain in these countries.

I'd agree that if foreign companies were to invest in these countries and export processed materials, growth and incomes would go up. But wholesale liberalisation won't be enough for the LDCs to attract private foreign investment, and that foreign investment is unlikely to be enough. They'll need to protect and put public investment into certain sectors and industries too. Just like we did.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by shotamoose
    On the question of having the least free trade, the UNDP report goes on to say:
    These LDCs still base their economies on exporting raw materials, like they did under colonialism. Due to trade barriers (both their own barriers and Western barriers), political instability, corruption and lack of infrastructure. they can't get foreign investment which would allow them to become more developed. Foreign investment and free trade isn't the problem, it's the solution.

You don't see highly globalized countries like Mexico, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines on that list of LDCs; instead you see countries which have no foreign investment like Chad and Cambodia. When was the last time you saw "Made in Chad" stamped on something you bought? You can't blame Cambodia's problems on multinational corporations...

Originally posted by Meh
    You can't blame Cambodia's problems on multinational corporations...

No, you can't. Sorry to disappoint you, but I'd prefer to say that it's a lot more complicated than that. Colonialism old and new must take some of the blame for the problems of Cambodia and other LDCs but of course that's not the whole story.

You don't, indeed, see Mexico et al on the LDC list - I brought that up to counter your point about globalisation benefitting the poor - for a variety of reasons, including past history, natural and human resources, geographical and economic position, policy, etc. Are you saying Mexico, Malaysia, the Philippines and Indonesia are middle-income rather than low-income countries 'because of globalisation'?

Another point is that all four of those countries you mention have been severely affected in the last ten years by financial crises which were arguably exacerbated or even brought on by over-zealous liberalisation of international capital flows. Whatever the reason, these financial contagions have been very frequent and extremely serious in the last ten years, the historic height of financial 'globalisation'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Turnip

Originally posted by Wicknight

Globisation fails as a social/economic system because corportations don't give a flying fcuk about anything but making more money.

I don't know what sort of a happy clappy hippy world you live in, but in the real world, businesses exist to make money and provide returns on investments. They are not charities. I applaud the work of NGO's but sometimes they work at cross purposes and become handy political tools for despots.

I'm not denying that there are valid criticisms but I still don't see how arguments for them are best presented by rioting and breaking windows. Start an anti-globalisation party or something and see how many votes you get. We have a free press, make use of it and try to bring the public over to your side through reason.

in the real world, businesses exist to make money and provide returns on investments. They are not charities.

Yes, but it is equally true that there are rules which are suposed to limit how these companies make money. I mean....you couldnt exactly run a business which touted slavery as a cost-cutting measure.

While I would not necessarily agree that the worlds largest companies are only concerned about making money, I would say that many of them are concerned with bending and stretching the rules as far as possible in order to make money.

In the real world I live in, I see this as a problem. The intent of the law is supposed to be as important (if not moreso) then the letter of the law. I do not deem it acceptable for companies like Nike to contract work from companies who pay below the cost of living, and then to insist that not only is it not their fault or problem, but that they have no influence.

Consumers are equally to blame by either ignoring these issues, or simply accepting them as a fait accompli because "well, everyone is doing it".

I'm not denying that there are valid criticisms but I still don't see how arguments for them are best presented by rioting and breaking windows.

Fine - but this isnt where you started from. You asked what the problem with globalisation was anyway...and those "fair criticisms" that you accept are some of those problems.

I would be the first to agree that many of the anti-globalisation "protests" are counter-productive, and also that regardless of their productivity they are not an appropriate way to put a message forward.

Yes, it may be true that violent protest is the best way to make the world sit up and take notice quickly and effectively, but thats like saying that exploitation is the best way to make money quickly and effectively.

If an anti-globalisation movement is calling for the super-companies to be responsible for their actions, then it too must accept responsibility for its own actions.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

ok i just saw this thread , and i have to do a project for college about globalisation , and i know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about it , could somebody help me here?pm me some links or stick them up here , is there any good topics or is it a fairly general subject?
    I am really caught here and its worth 30% so very important that i get this right ,any help at all would be grately appreciated.
    thanking you kindly

Originally posted by OLDYELLAR
    ok i just saw this thread , and i have to do a project for college about globalisation , and i know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about it , could somebody help me here?pm me some links or stick them up here , is there any good topics or is it a fairly general subject?

A good start would be to read No Logo by Naomi Klein.
    While you should remember that it is almost entirely a one-sided book, its pretty informative.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭seedot

The discussions above illustrate some of the problems in dealing with the anti-globalisation protests in that they use an economic analysis which in its methodology and values is rejected by many of the protestors.

While the last 30 years have seen large growths in global trade and capital flows, we are only now aproaching the levels prior to WW1 on these measures (although the 19C globalisation was driven by imperialism and was of a different nature). As a counterpoise to No Logo, a good read is Paul Krugman who makes some convincing arguments for the economic benefits of free trade and globalisation. Have a look at globalisation and globaloney. So if you accept economics as the arbiter it's easy to make a case for the benefits of globalisation.

However, many of the protests focus on non-economic issues, beyond even wealth distribution and labour conditions. They look at the imposition of cultural homogeneity which is mandated by the current phase of global capitalism - common property rights (especially in intellectual property), the dismantling of non-market systems of public provision and the creation of a common world market for consumer goods. When French protestors smash a McDonalds they are trying to retain the link between culture, food and earth they are so proud of.

In many ways I believe this is due to resistance to the new forms of enclosure - the enclosure of information. When we talk about international trade in services, nothing moves from one country to another as part of the 'capital flow' but business know-how - yet access to this requires large returns to the TNC's who 'invest' in the services. Patents on seeds, restrictions on fair use of copyrighted material and removal of cultural and political barriers to trade (you can't vote for govt provided services as these are a barrier to trade) are all aspects of globalisation which protestors attempt to highlight.

To say the movement should use the free press misses the point - this press is now a marketing medium which is owned by the same companies that enforce other forms of global homogeneity (can somebody please explain the synergies in vivendi to me? It's a water company that owns TV, newspapers,film studios?). The focus on the WTO and IMF is in part a reaction to the decline of the nation state and the democratic political institutions as no elected govt now has the power to resist the forces of globalisation. The mass street demonstrations are in a tradition that goes back hundreds of years, most notably to the labour movements in the 19 century. When voting, media and many of the established structures are inaccessible, smashing windows can be the most articulate manner available to get your message across.

Disclaimer: I do work with Indymedia which means I am hopelessly biased and ill informed.

Originally posted by OLDYELLAR
    I am really caught here and its worth 30% so very important that i get this right ,any help at all would be grately appreciated.
    thanking you kindly

Globalisation can be a very general topic, even an incoherent one. It can also mean just about anything you want it to mean, since some people have started to equate it with 'progress' in general. There's lots of approaches, lots of research programmes involved, so I'll try to give you a flavour of some of that.

Books. As far as I know people like Anthony Giddens and Ulrich Beck were the ones who popularised 'globalisation' in sociology - check out 'The Consequences of Modernity' and 'Runaway World' (Giddens) and 'What is Globalisation?' (Beck), though I haven't read them.

Of the ones I have read (bits of), the present 'classics' are considered to be
    -'Global Transformations' by Held et al (there's a useful companion website - with a summary of the book here )
    -The 'Information Age' trilogy by Manuel Castells , a huge, extremely detailed and very interesting account of the 'network society';
    -'Development and Social Change' by Philip McMichael - a fairly radical critique from a rural development perspective. He advances the idea of the 'Globalization Project', ie a worldwide economic restructuring of states and societies in the interests of globalising capital;
    -'Globalisation: Capitalism and its Alternatives' by Leslie Sklair - a VERY interesting application of Global Systems Theory (including the concept of the Transnational Capitalist Class), a kind of neo-Marxism, with vast amounts of detailed research and a useful chapter on alternatives.

Another I haven't read but which is pretty highly regarded are 'Has Globalization Gone Too Far' by Dani Rodrik. Philippe Legrain has written a book called 'Open World: the truth about globalization', which gives the case for free market globalization: IMO, Legrain is very articulate but limited by his economistic approach.

Martin Khor of the Third World Network wrote 'Rethinking Globalization', a rather technical but very rational and constructive collection of policy proposals to switch globalisation towards poverty reduction and genuine development.

For a good reader that collects lots of article-length pieces, try The Globalization Reader by Lechner and Boli.

Finally, check out the writings of Subcommandante Marcos of the Zapatistas in 'Our Word is Our Weapon' or online (try the articles at the top of the page). Also URL=http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Congress/9183/dignitysrevolt.html]Dignity's Revolt[/URL] by John Holloway, an excellent article putting the Zapatistas in the context of socialism and globalisation.

Obviously you're not going to read all of each of these books, but even if you glance through the back covers, introductions and, say first chapters, you'll get an idea of the key themes and debates.

Themes and arguments. If you ask me the first thing to do when addressing globalisation is to slice it up analytically, the better to understand it. My approach is to split the concept into a generic 'globalisation' - involving technological change and an increasing worldwide interdependence - and (like McMichael) a 'Globalization Project' involving the imposition of economic restructuring on societies in the interests of what Sklair calls the Transnational Capitalist Class. While there is some overlap and mutual causality, neither implies the other - the present model of globalisation is NOT the only possibility, and is inherently flawed and unworkable. If you follow this argument, be sure to mention the name of Karl Polanyi, whose 1944 book the Great Transformation argued that the experiment with the Gold Standard was a key cause of the two world wars.

Other perspectives on globalisation see it as primarily a process of 'de-territorialisation', ie the decreasing importance of place and borders. For some its not so much globalisation as 'internationalisation', just increasing links between nations and not much transformation of the societies within the borders. Cultural approaches try to identify whether globalisation implies cultural homogenization (cultures becoming more similar or monotone), heterogenization (the opposite) or hybridization (cultures cross-pollinating and producing new varieties). There's examples of all three. Arjun Appadurai has done some interesting work in this area.

Key themes consistently examined within globalisation studies include the effects of glob on the state (the concept and the reality), on the nation and nationalism, on democracy and on security (personal and public).

According to Leslie Sklair, capitalist globalisation inherently brings about two crises - a crisis of environmental degradation and a crisis of class polarisation. I'd add the crisis of political exclusion too, both in terms of nations and of international institutions. Sklair also argues that the best way to examine globalisation is in terms of a global system working in three spheres - the political, the economic and the culture-ideological. Being a bit of a Marxist, he tends to concentrate on production rather than aspects like financial liberalisation, which is crucial to understanding globalisation and development today.

Some other concepts keep cropping up in discussions about globalisation: 'openness' as a characteristic of individual, national and global life; 'freedom' and or versus 'responsibility' (the pamphlet "It's Democracy, Stupid" by the New Economics Foundation has an interesting discussion of how Karl Popper in fact opposed untrammelled 'freedom' in social or economic spheres); and the impact on personal morality.

Finally, I'd argue that any discussion of globalisation has to have power and power inequalities as central concepts. Too often, people on all sides of the debate seem to ignore that individuals and societies do not start from positions of equal power, and that there are in fact significant power structures affecting what goes on. Similarly, you've got to decide whether you think there's such things as transnational class structures and if so, how significant they are.

Hope that helps, if you want to ask anything else feel free to pm me. best of luck with the project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Biffa Bacon

Originally posted by seedot
    The focus on the WTO and IMF is in part a reaction to the decline of the nation state and the democratic political institutions as no elected govt now has the power to resist the forces of globalisation.
    Arse. No country has been forced to liberalise their economies by anyone. And there is nothing stopping them from regulating them again if they so wish.

The reason that these anti-globalisation types go on marches and riot and generally talk out of their arses is because they are too thick to be able to coherently articulate their objections and come up with rational, workable alternatives.

Originally posted by Biffa Bacon
    The reason that these anti-globalisation types go on marches and riot and generally talk out of their arses is because they are too thick to be able to coherently articulate their objections and come up with rational, workable alternatives.
    See above. Are you blind?

The protesters engage in direct action and civil disobedience - how many good things emerged out of such a climate?

As shotamoose highlighted, the central issue is power (power structures) and the abuse of it. In attempting to move toward a more equal, just society (global or otherwise), civil disobedience/protesting has proven to be a positive force in redressing imbalances of power. The Suffragette movement is a case in point; for all their crazy protests and acts of civil disobedience, for all the damage they caused and the moral outrage they evoked, the simple fact is that the Suffragette movement was grounded in well argued liberal theory and the result was a redressing of a grievous imbalance of power with far-reaching effects.

Global justice protesters are no different. If anything, we protesters in the West are using our dominant political/economic position to help those who are abused by it by the West. All the anger in the world would be pointless without sound analysis and viable alternatives.

Civil disobedience is rarely acceptable (except to those involved) for its own sake. That's exactly why the global justice protests are deeply grounded in analysis and insulated by a whole battery of alternatives. Arguments are convincing for their own sake, not civil disobedience. That's how we can guage just how offensive any act of civil disobedience is. The protests today are not as explosive as those of the turn of the last century - they really are about drawing attention to injustices by showing how much opposition there is out there. What's wrong with that?

The alternatives suggested may be flawed, but more flawed than our present system? The answer to that question should be the result of a genuine dialogue between those in power and everyone else. But while the media continues to discredit the protesters by focusing on its image, the all important issues, analysis and alternatives are wallpapered over. For example, the European Social Forum recently held in Florence, an alternative summit to other 'establishment' economic fora but in no way an oppositionary event as such, was incorrectly portrayed as a protest and, predictably, news reporting focused on violence (which never even remotely happened). Conveniently, the purpose of the event and the ideas expressed by the many qualified speakers were overlooked.

Despite the fact that shotamoose has generously provided a raft of links to show how much real work is going on behind and among the protests, many are still unconvinced of the protests' worthiness. What I'm saying is that the media has (willingly or not) become complicit in reinforcing this negative, cynical image and that this attitude has to be urgently revised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Anti-globalisation protesters: It’s often claimed by these confused people (being diplomatic) that the gap between rich and poor is growing. Is this supposed to be a shock? Why is it automatically thought to be a bad thing? People who work hard or who know how to make use of certain advantages get rewarded. They reinvest their money wisely and overall standards rise.

Just to answer that one point.

There's nothing wrong with that, if it worked that way, that's not how it works.

Most of the people who control the vast majority of the world's weath didn't earn it. They inherited it.

You can never really stop inheritance, people will always want to give money to their kids. It's on of the most basic instincts. But you can try to level the playing field off as much as possible.

- Kevin

Originally posted by DadaKopf
    See above. Are you blind?
    No, just ignorant.

Arse. No country has been forced to liberalise their economies by anyone. And there is nothing stopping them from regulating them again if they so wish.

In 1999, Gerber Baby Foods used the WTO to suppress a law in Guatemala which encouraged mothers to bresat-feed. The law prohibited the use of labels which associated milk-substitutes with healthy, chubby babies, and also prevented manufacturers from giving free samples to mothers as an incentive. It also resticted manufacturers from specifically targetting young mothers in hospitals.

While every other manufacturer complied with the law upon its introduction in '96, Gerber refused to remove its smiley-baby-logo, and refused to carry a label stating that breast milk was superior.

When the WTO came into being in 95, Gerber dropped its initial line of appeal, and instead took Guatamala in front of the WTO on the grounds that the law undermined its trademark - a logo of a smiley baby. Under WTO law, corporate intellectual property rights have enough weight that Guatamela had no option but to drop its law, or face sanctions.

Sure - they weren't forced to drop the law. They had the option of dropping it, or getting their economy blasted back to the stone-age by WTO sanctions they couldnt afford.

Now, while this sounds not-too-unreasonable on teh surface, it should be taken into account that the use of baby-formula leads to an estimated 1.5 million deaths each year in developing nations (such as Guatemala) through incorrect preparation or use of contaminated water. It also leads to a less-well-developed immune system.

So what you're saying is not quite true. If a nation wants to have anything to do with the rest of the world, then it must play by the WTO's rules, and when corporations are able to get their voices heard in this manner.....we quickly see that these nations can be, and are forced to, play by rules which are not in their best interests, but which are more concentrated on the well-being of large corporate interests in developed nations.

In case anyone is interested, I got this story from Project Censored's book "Censored 2001". THe original story was reported in Environment and Health Weekly.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

If it *was* Gerbers logo then theres not much that can be said. I dont see why the Government couldnt have said , grand, Gerber can keep its logo. And slap a health warning regarding the superiourity of breast milk on each packet, like governments do for ciggarettes - as far as i know no cigarettes company has successfully managed to stop the smoking causes cancer warning, in the WTO or without. People tend to be hyper sensitive about their childrens health.
    the use of baby-formula leads to an estimated 1.5 million deaths each year in developing nations (such as Guatemala) through incorrect preparation or use of contaminated water. It also leads to a less-well-developed immune system.

Gerber, once it provides clear instructions, is not responsible for incorrect preperation, nor is it responsible for water quality. Im no Gerber fanboy but, its not the use of baby formula that causes 1.5 million deaths each year, its incorrect preperation and contaminated water - and Id imagine contaminiated water kills far more than 1.5 million a year.
    Most of the people who control the vast majority of the world's weath didn't earn it. They inherited it.

Actually as I understand it a survey of Americas millionaires found that the majority of them were self made - a fool and his money are soon parted. Bill Gates as I understand it went from making basic computers in his garage to signing an incredibly fortunate bussiness deal which made him one of , if not the richest man in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Sand
    Bill Gates as I understand it went from making basic computers in his garage to signing an incredibly fortunate bussiness deal which made him one of , if not the richest man in the world.

Not quite true but close enough that we won't argue over it (I suspect you're mixing him up with Steve Jobs or Wozniak). Bill Gates however, had a substantial trust fund left to him by his grandfather - he was a millionaire before he started. (I'm not trying to start an OT discussion - just pointing out that he's a really bad example)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Gerber, once it provides clear instructions, is not responsible for incorrect preperation, nor is it responsible for water quality. Im no Gerber fanboy but, its not the use of baby formula that causes 1.5 million deaths each year, its incorrect preperation and contaminated water - and Id imagine contaminiated water kills far more than 1.5 million a year.

We are talking about societies where a large proportion of the population are uneducated and functionally illiterate. It is immoral to exploit peoples ignorance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Von

The key issue, for me anyway, surrounding globalisation is sustainability. Mr.Bonkey hinted at it I think. Is neoliberal globalisation sustainable or not. No-one is going to declare publicly that they’re not in favour of sustainability since the opposite is ostensibly unsustainability and sustainability will mean different things to different people so in the future there's going to be a struggle for control of the meaning of the word, just as there are still arguments over the meanings of words like racism, democracy, liberalism etc.

What threatens the sustainability of the globe as a whole is the elimination of diversity as a basic phenomenon of life. Not only is this homogenization occuring in nature, putting the sustainability of the entire biosphere at risk and thus reducing the basis for organic life, it is also occurring at the cultural level as well, despite denials that there’s any connection between the levelling of the economic playing field and the levelling of cultures and ideas. This is patently and demonstrably false. The ideal of neoliberal globalisation is a single global space and a single global time on the premise that western market fundamentalist values, and its patterns of organizing time and space, alone have any validity.

Neoliberals will deny that globalisation is leading to global cultural homogeneity, and yet in practically the same breath, they’ll celebrate the triumph of market values over all competitors. This is just one of the many stupid things about them. Their response to a deadly global epidemic like AIDS is "f**k 'em they're wogs, if they can't pay then they can die." Pretty much the same response the british government took with the famine. Essentially they're throwbacks to the kind of
    clitwitted scum William Hazlitt spent his life battling.

I take it you couldn't be arsed getting the free book the Belgian PM produced and I provided a link to a while ago. He basically asked 'What's all this shouting?'. People from all over the world responded, including every major NGO, (even the evil communist group the Red Cross) and explained why they were upset. He bunged a selection of responses together with contributions from people like Owens Wiwa, Susan George, Clinton and Naomi Klein and made it available for free. It's as good a source as any for info about why people waste their time marching about and getting beaten up by the mussolini fan club.

And despite being a thicko who talks out his arse, Joseph Stiglitz won a Nobel Prize for Economics and even wrote some
    books. What has Biffa Bacon got on his mantelpiece? A trophy for winning 3rd place in the school egg and spoon race when he was 9 probably. And perhaps that failure is where all his bitterness, hatred for humanity and weird fantasies about having slaves can be traced back to.

If it *was* Gerbers logo then theres not much that can be said. I dont see why the Government couldnt have said , grand, Gerber can keep its logo.

If they did, then the first thing which would have happened is that the law would have had to have been repealed anyway because it would be unequally applied and discriminatory between corporations.
    People tend to be hyper sensitive about their childrens health.
    Yes, and the ultra-national companies dont give a damn about other people's health and use organisations like the WTO to allow them to continue to make money out of other people's suffering.

Now, dont get me wrong - companies have been making money out of other people's suffering since business existed. However, in our so-called advancement as a society, we are supposed to be moving towards the concept of protecting all human life. We have a Universal Declaration of Human Rights for instance. Unfortunately, we also have a WTO, membership of which requires automatic acceptance of its rules and conditions, which effectively put corporate rights above human rights.

Forgive me if I feel that this is most categorically not a move in the right direction.

I have no objection to global-scale companies, as long as those companies are not using their size and muscle to better their bottom line to the detriment of other people's lives.

Gerber, once it provides clear instructions, is not responsible for incorrect preperation, nor is it responsible for water quality.

Well, under American law, if Gerber do not have a "not suitable for use with contaminated water" notice on it, they would be liable., as far as I was aware.
    Im no Gerber fanboy but, its not the use of baby formula that causes 1.5 million deaths each year, its incorrect preperation and contaminated water - and Id imagine contaminiated water kills far more than 1.5 million a year.

Sure, and you don't see a problem selling this product into a nation where clean water is a rarity? Not only selling it, but aggressively promoting its sale (because developing nations was the best growth opportunity), even to the extent of fighting laws which sought to protect life because they impacted your bottom line?

Yes, they may not have broken any laws, but at the end of the day, Gerber are knowingly putting their bottom line ahead of health and safety in children in emerging nations. They actively promote their products in the West as a cleaner, neater solution to breastfeeding, and this worked for years until people started learning about the down-sides. And yet its ok to claw back those sales figures by targetting people less capable of making an educated determination (through lack of better education and information dissemination). Its not only OK, but its enforced by international Trade Law.

This is the core of the problem - or at least one core. Globalisation puts the corporate bottom line first, and with enough corporate might to hold entire nations to ransom.

Before the WTO, no-one could have challenged Guatemala's law. Gerber tried and failed. Since the WTO's inception, Gerber have had the decision revoked. Nations are now subservient to corporates, who's only interest is their profits...coupled with deniability of responsibility, as you so eloquently tried to already give to Gerber.

Von has also pointed out the associated problem of growth sustainability. Growth is not infinitely sustainable....but our corporate business model needs it to be. Now that western markets are reaching saturation in many areas, the only growth area is emerging nations. Their best interests are "obviously not as important as those of the western corporates who need to keep upping those figures.

Ultimately, globalisation is nothing more than the drawn-out death-throes of western commercial systems. Lets assume that globalisation cannot be stopped? What will happen? Ultimately, all markets will be saturated (maybe another few generations, but thats about it) and there will be no more scope for growth. At that point, if no sooner, humanity will learn the fallacy of sustainable growth. On a planet of finite resources, sustainable growth is an oxymoron. Hell, in a finite universe its an oxymoron...you just have a larger timescale to play with.

Sooner or later, the current economic models will fall. To me, the move against globalisation is fundamentally one where poeple recognise (one way or another) that following it to its ultimate conclusion is not in our best interests anyway.

jc

Originally posted by Von
    And despite being a thicko who talks out his arse, Joseph Stiglitz won a Nobel Prize for Economics and even wrote some
    books.What has Biffa Bacon got on his mantelpiece? A trophy for winning 3rd place in the school egg and spoon race when he was 9 probably.

:):):)

Has Joseph Stiglitz ever cleared Medal of Honor on Hard without quicksaving??? Has he f**k!!! You know, I might take him a bit more seriously if he climbed down out of his ivory tower and spent a few days in the real world with the rest of us.

And besides, it was supposed to be my year, everyone knew that. I'd always suspected Fatty O'Brien glued his potato to the spoon, but never in my wildest dreams did I suspect he would stoop so low as to...etc. etc.

Disclaimer: This is intended as a "gag" post. I'm not actually being serious.

• Advertisement

you know, I might take him a bit more seriously if he climbed down out of his ivory tower and spent a few days in the real world with the rest of us
    Oh, hmm. I thought Joseph Stiglitz was a Nobel Laureate and once prominent member of the World Bank before he was ejected for seeing the light. Surely a man with these credentials is living in the real world.
    Has Joseph Stiglitz ever cleared Medal of Honor on Hard without quicksaving???
    If you're describing yourself here, I think you need to think about what you've just said.

Biffa, I think you're out of arguments.

Advertisement