Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with a small problem!!!!

Options
  • 12-11-2002 12:16pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok heres the problem.I used to keep the PC upstairs in a spare bedroom which was quite handy-able to have everything at hand etc.but this weekend I had to move the comp downstairs to a utility/dining room.
    Now my net connection has slowed to a crawl(Im on 56k by the way)
    Upstairs I used cat5 cable(Using only 2 wires which is all that is coming into the house) going direct from the box in the hall to a new socket in the bedroom.Connection speeds were all in excess of 45,333 sometimes as high as 52,000.
    Now I can only connect at 36,000 which seems to be some difference.
    What I did was this.In the new room there was a phone connection which I had rewired a while ago using Cat 5.This weekend I then bought one of these telephone extension kits in the local hardware--One of those ones with 15m of cable and a like a double adaptor phone connection plus a new socket which is now located on the wall near the Pcs new location.This cable has 4 wires in it yet everywhere else in the house there are only 2 used.Would the 4 wires be the problem or the low quality of the extension kit cable?Or should I just rewire straight from the box in the hall to a new socket using cat 5????
    This is really pi$$ing me off since before I could actually have a game of Wolfenstein with an ok ping(180-250) on UK servers.Now Its a joke(400+)
    Richie
    Would this cause the problem????Should I have rewired straight fr

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

rewire most of those extension leads are not very good for data

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Cat 5 as you know is twisted pair and this helps to provide noise immunity ... but ordinary phone line is often untwisted (it is supposed to be twisted AFAIK).. if you were running the phone line along a wall and it was close to and parallel to an eletrical line it will badly effect your connection speed ... if you can get your hands on some shielded cat 5 you should be laughing .. (but that stuff is expensive, however it has much better noise immunity than unshielded)

Most peoples houses phone wiring only use two of the wires ... usually people use red and green .. called tip and ring in the trade I believe .. they are the center two wires on the connector ... there is a page here that does some explaining about it .. (I didnt look too closely at it... it could be $hite :D)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Got it sorted.I used the aforementioned cat 5 and replaced the cable from the main socket where the wire enters the house to the new socket and yes the connection speeds are back to 49333 consistently.
    Thanks for the help.

Advertisement