Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband and Multiple Computers

Options
  • 12-11-2002 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭

Hi. I hape to have IBB's service installed soon. I'm getting their ethernet modem and am wondering if I will be able to just connect it to my home network(macs and pcs) and hae them all share the connection. Will they have their own IP or what? Or will only one of them be able to use the connection unless I set up a router? Do you get a dynamic IP with IBB? If so, how does that work if you're always connected - when would it change?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

No answers but same questions!

was wondering myself if u can just plug the modem into the network hub without need of a router.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,418 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

if it's a usb modem you can use windoze to share out the connection if you want something more fancy the draytek produce a relatively cheap router that has a usb port on it and a built in hub (also basic firewall features)
    if you ask for a ethernet connection most companies will try ands charge you for a multi user connection (i have no experience of irish broadband so don't know what they supply)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 csaddict

I got the service (ethernet version), and discussed this possibility with Michael, the guy from IBB who installed the service.

Basically you get a static IP address from them which is linked with the MAC address of the network card you plug the cable into.

If you want to have multiple PCs/Macs sharing the connection, you'd want to have one device acting as a gateway which supported NAT (Network Address Translation - i think - I'm no expert on this but I've been trying to read up). And the other PCs/Macs would then share the gateway's connection. This could be a PC with two network cards (or a network card and a USB if you went for that option), or simply a gateway router device that supported NAT. Your internal network ip addresses wouldn't need to then change. (if someone understands this better than I've put it - which wouldn't be surprising - please feel free to correct me!)

He told me IBB didn't have a problem if I had multiple PCs using the same connection (i.e. a LAN party with a connection to external CS servers. Still trying to figure out exactly what I'd need though!) provided the computers are all in the same physical location (i.e. house). They do have a problem with people sharing the connection over multiple sites (i.e. have a wireless WAN running off it to other people's houses.)

Give them a mail and ask them about your situation - in my experience with them, they've been very open to answering any questions I've had.

The ethernet option is about €80 more expensive than the USB option for the install, but the monthly charges are the same (€40 + VAT for the 512K)

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DC

Not an expert here, but I'll throw my tuppence in.

If you go for the Ethernet option, I am guessing its like any other Ethernet connection. I don't know if as standard connection sharing is available for ethernet connections under windoze.

I do know that if you install something like 3Com Dynamic Access, which comes with some of their cards, then you do get an option to connection share on all your ethernet connections.

Then with a second NIC connected to a hub, and other PCs hanging off the hub, they can all set their gateways to 192.168.0.1 for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 alexp

An alternative to buying an Ehternet Router is to install Sygate on the connected computer (http://soho.sygate.com/products/gate_ov.htm#sg_fe). The home product is about 40 Euro for 3 users - you can download and try it for free.

There are plenty of other similar products around but we have found this one particularly good with the PPPoE service provided by Eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭Mr. Flibble

Basically you get a static IP address from them which is linked with the MAC address of the
    So I gotta decide which computer runs the gateway before they hook me up...
    The ethernet option is about €80 more expensive than the USB
    I was told it would cost the same when I rang them a few weeks ago. Maybe they got it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 csaddict

So I gotta decide which computer runs the gateway before they hook me up...
    It's managed at their end, so you can ask them to change it, or supply them with multiple MAC addresses if you're going to be plugging the radio into different PCs. I'm not sure how many they'll allow you to have - might want to check it with them.
    I was told it would cost the same when I rang them a few weeks ago.
    Well - I got charged extra for the ethernet option - it's a slightly different piece of hardware, which needs it's own power supply (rather than off the PC's as the USB version is), so that might have something to do with it.

Well - I got charged extra for the ethernet option - it's a slightly different piece of hardware, which needs it's own power supply (rather than off the PC's as the USB version is), so that might have something to do with it.
    Yeah, I thought they'd charge more for it. Although they say that you aren't buying the modem from them - they still own it and are letting you use it AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

I asked them about this "owning" business. They explained that getting somone on your roof is quite expensive due to insurance etc. and they implied they they funded the majority of the cost of the modem, and hence they keep ownership. I guess they are only willing to fund it to a certain extent, so as the ethernet modem cost more, you have to pick that up in the install fee.

Title : airBridge - Wireless Ethernet Client Product ID : SB2100 Web Price / Weight : USD$239.00 (0.60 kg) Description : airBridge is a long range, high performance Ethernet client.With "No Drivers required", airBridge brings the best in high-speed wireless LAN technology and services.

Title : airNIC - Wireless USB Client Product ID : SB2000 Web Price / Weight : USD$179.00 (0.35 kg) Description : airNIC is a Wireless USB Client. Operates over the long range. High speed data rate of 11 Mbps.Easy Installation with simpleConnect "One Click" software.

70 dollar difference ....

They said they didn't offer to sell the equipment to the customer as this would increase the initial install fee beyond what most people would be willing to pay. Which sounds about right, plus they have to cover the cost of free signal tests I guess.

Back on topic (ps. this should be in net/comms :P), if the ethernet client has an IP address, could you plug the client into your favourite hub/switch then setup a gateway machine, with an entry in its routing table sending all external stuff to the client and have have your other machines on the network setup to route external traffic through the gateway machine, like two hops?

It would be great if this would work, I hope to use a sparcstation as a gateway/webserver/whatever and while getting the box is pretty easy getting the second ethernet card could be a pain.

rob

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Moving to nets/comms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I'll just put in my 0.02euro ... (after the IBB guy has set you up and gone on his merry way) you can get a US Robotics router that you can edit the MAC address of the WAN port (there are probably other manufacturers that do it too, but I have experience of the USR one) ... so if the IP is tied to the mac address of your nic all you need to do is find out the mac address and change the mac address on the router and then plug the ethernet cable into the back of the router... you can also set a static IP addess and it supports NAT ... its pricey in Europe but if you know someone in the states they can get it shipped to them and they just post it over to you .. I've seen it for 60 US dollas (see here , hope that link works).. lots of features .... model USR 8000A .. i have the 8000 (no -A) but it is basically the same thing ... worked perfect with shag-all set up ...

I'd probably set up a software router before doing that.
    But if you changed the MAC address of the router to what your computer's is wouln't you run into trouble when you connect your computer to the router. Would they clash?

Is there any way to change the MAC address of a network card?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

But if you changed the MAC address of the router to what your computer's is wouln't you run into trouble when you connect your computer to the router. Would they clash?
    I thought this as well but I read somewhere in the documentation that this is no problem ... the reason they put in the ability to change the MAC address was for exactly the scenario I mentioned in my last post ...

As for cost ... how much would a second nic for the gateway and a hub cost ya? (the USR has a 4 port 10/100 switch, print server and com port for a modem in case you lose your broadband)....

Advertisement