Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance - question for the gals

Options
  • 12-11-2002 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭

I've finally made my mind up and have decided to go about getting my full licence and a car. Bad point is always the insurance. Being a woman I know it will be less, but I'd like to hear from the ladies here. Or if your girlfriend/wife got insurance.

What kind of quotes did you get? Include your age, full/prov licence, car and any details you might feel are relevant :)
    I've used the 123.ie quote system, but I'd like to see people's actual quotes or experiences aswell.

This thread isn't intended to piss the lads off or make them feel worse, so please no bitching, I'm new to all this and would like to hear your experiences before I take the plunge.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Well my sister is 21 with a full licence for 2 years and drives fully comp on a 97 1.2 corsa!
    She pays about €1500 on insurance!
    When she was 20 and i was 18 she insured me and her third party fire & theft on a 94 1.2 clio for €2100 and me on 2 my own on a 1l starlet was €2400
    hope that helps!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭highlight

I've tried 123.ie and it's always given me higher quotes than my broker/direct from the insurance company.

I'm with the AA (phone 6179950 and prepare to wait) for the last three years. Their administration is desperate and they are totally disorganised - but the quote is usually good. I'm 29 - my first insurance on a provisional licence with Quinn Direct was £1000 (in about 1997/8) for a 1.2 Opel Corsa (with two years named driving experience). On passing my test my insurance halved. And then promptly started going up - the argument that there is an age at which your insurance reduces seems to be a complete fallacy.

I paid just over £500 for a 1.0 new Opel Corsa last year, and this year I have a 1.6 Renault Megane Coupe for €900. It would've been €600 for the Corsa.

What really bothers me is the Dublin loading. My boyfriend pays €900 for a brand new Alfa Romeo 156 - he's 30 - simply because it's insured out of Kilkenny. He says I should insure mine from there, but I'm always afriad in case it invalidates the insurance. Anyone know if it would?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Originally posted by highlight
    I've tried 123.ie and it's always given me higher quotes than my broker/direct from the insurance company.

That's what I've heard before aswell. I'd ring them, but I'm not even sure what kind of car I'll be getting. Tnx for the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Originally posted by highlight
    What really bothers me is the Dublin loading. My boyfriend pays €900 for a brand new Alfa Romeo 156 - he's 30 - simply because it's insured out of Kilkenny. He says I should insure mine from there, but I'm always afriad in case it invalidates the insurance. Anyone know if it would?

Yup if they find out you dont actually live at the address given as the rating area your insurance is null and void. They even ask you something along the lines of "Is your car normally used at the postal address?" which translates roughly as where do you actually live and keep the car...... dont try it cause if you have a claim they will most likely find you out.

Just one other point Dublin is not the highest loaded rating address so dont think your to badly off...

kayos

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

My better half paid 890 punts 2 years ago for 3rd party F&t on a 1.4 Megane, no previous experience and got the provisional licence the day before ! 23 years old.

She is renewing in December and is now 25 years old. Full Licence, 6 months, 2 years no claims, 1200 Euro 3rd Party F&T on a Honda Prelude 2.0i

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

heh, got quoted €8000 for comprehensive on a focus 1.4 with 2 years no claims. Quinn-direct

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by kayos
    Just one other point Dublin is not the highest loaded rating address so dont think your to badly off...

That's quite interesting. Where is the highest loaded address? Make me laugh/cry and say it's Limerick.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

My g/f's 24, provisional licence, no exp. 1330 cc jap starlet €1700ish (i think) and that's in clare, which one comp said was the same rate as limerick.

And that was quinn direct, so you could probably find better, esp if you are over 21.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

My wifes insurance this year was only €600 with me as a named driver.
    Shes 28,4 years ncb and driving a 99 Daihatsu Terios 1.3.
    Her first year insurance was £1600 old money which wasnt too bad I suppose.

Dont know what age you are Koneko but if you are over 21 youre laughing and if you have a boyfriend as a named driver your insurance will be cheaper especially if he has his own car.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

My wifes insurance this year was only €600 with me as a named driver.
    Shes 28,4 years ncb,full licence and driving a 99 Daihatsu Terios 1.3.
    Her first year insurance was £1600 old money which wasnt too bad I suppose.

Dont know what age you are Koneko but if you are over 21 youre laughing and if you have a boyfriend as a named driver your insurance will be cheaper especially if he has his own car.Theres usually a loading for a one driver policy--Dont ask why but it seems to be true.With me off the wifes policy the quote was €980.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

I'm 22 and am on my 2nd year driving on my own.
    3 years full licence.
    1.3 starlet
    My insurance fully comp is €1150
    I'm insured through a company in Bandon in Cork, they're very female friendly but won't insure any male who's under 25.

When I tried for the online quotes I was only getting quotes of above €1600.
    I honestly wouldn't apply for insurance online until you have a couple of years ncb behind you.

On another note, my bf went to see about seeing how much it would cost to get me put as a named driver on his car and his insurance company were looking for another €1600 for me on top of his own premium of €1900. madness I tells ya! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

That's mad, my g/f is 24 with no exp provional and she gets free on my policy, as i am such a huge risk in my own right!

24/full licence, 0 ncb or exp €3074 :eek: :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

Originally posted by Legbreaker
    That's mad, my g/f is 24 with no exp provional and she gets free on my policy, as i am such a huge risk in my own right!

24/full licence, 0 ncb or exp €3074 :eek: :(

I forgot to mention that he's 24 with 5 years ncb too

Advertisement